Bolo Floats ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Happened upon a few floats this after,

had them a while but they been stuck in the wilderness of the tackle room all unloved and forgotten

the are massive, really long, a sorta Avon shaped but longer slimmer body with wire stems,

theres two marked as "Woody" one is graded no2, 6 gramme and the other no2 5 gramme, the length of them overall is 220-240mm, no eyes at all, so I would presume that they are top and bottom rubber floats

there are also two made by Image, marked as bolognese both rated at 6 BB, these are 280mm and 230mm long overall, though these have side eyes, very much like a standard pole float

I would presume they are older floats and not made any more

I have absolutely no use for these, they would probably trip bottom on a lot of the flowing water I fish :) so if anyone could use them plus enlighten me as to what, where and when they would use them, they can have them

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The ones marked Woody are sold at Woodys tackle shop in Hereford for use on deep rivers with some flow like the Wye and the Severn the Image ones were an early version. The Bolognese style was developed in Italy mostly with long telescopic rods which is why the style is also known as The bolo.
Normally fished with a longer rod often in the middle of the river in depths of 13 foot, basically a big avon type float

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Mick,
I use 3 or 4g bolo floats in as little as 18-24" of fairly fast water. If necessary, I'm not shy of cutting really long float stems down a bit. Those with less bulbous bodies tend to be useful in the steadier swims were stability is less of a requirement and less disturbance on the strike is no bad thing.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Deep rivers with a bit of pace. They are still made and sold (Dave Harrell had some in his river float range) I use them on certain pegs on the Ribble with a long float rod for good line control and holding back.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Bolo floats Mick for fishing deep and usually when theres a lot of extra water in the river

Fished top and bottom and bulked with shot low down and held back, normally fished with a long rod, mines an 18/20 ft Milo bolo rod

They work a treat on my local river

squimp

Site Supporter
Yes please Mick. Happy to pay the postage if you still have them.

Woody is the guy who runs a tackle shop in Hereford.

PS I’m a bit slow off the mark -4other replies whilst I’m typing this...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice gesture and for me I have never used them, they're not quite the right float for the weir I fish though and kind of beyond what I'd personally try on the Severn. Hopefully the rightful new owner enjoys them. (y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
cheers, theres no flowing water like that anywhere near me,

if you could use em, just PM me your address

first come (y)

Mr Squimp is the man, cheers dude