Boilies and hook sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A big debate is on going at the moment between myself and a another member of the team regarding the best size of hook for different sizes of boilie.

I reckon a size 10 or 8 is big enough for a 16mm boilie and a 8 or 6 for anything bigger but I have been told that they are too small and a 6 for a 16mm and a 4 for larger boilies are about the right size.
Can anyone help me out here? Which sizes are about right?

Why bury a hook in a castor and leave a hook dangling at the side of a boilie?

Thanks, Dave

FAQ: Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts ?
Yes, the 'Subscribe to' feature allows you to subscribe to individual Categories, Forums and Topics. You will receive an e-mail notifying you when a post has been made.

Allan

Hello, It is every one to his own, on this topic. I hair rig the following:
12mm size 6 14mm size 4 16 mm size 4
and size 6 or 4, for hair rigged pastes.
We all have our own thoughts on the subject, I should also say that all of the hooks I use are ESP Raptor T6 or G4 hooks

Allan

Larry Teepot

are these sea hooks i didnt no hooks went bigger than 20????whats a boilie
sorry couldnt resist it

Larry Teepot

Allan

Hi Larry,
I can see by your post that you are no specimin hunter, I could not see to use a size 20 all my hooks go from size 1 to 10.
What on earth do you catch on a size 20?

Allan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Allan,

Looks like I'm going to have to buy some more hooks.
I like your choice by the way, the ESP hooks are my favourites for this type of fishing.

Regards, Dave

Allan

Hello Dave,
I use ESP hooks because they are very strong, for the wire gauge. If you want a very strong hook that is slightly lighter in the gauge, the best on the market are Fox Series 2 I use these when I am fishing weedy but open water for Barbel. I obviously don't know where you fish or weather you match fish or, like me specimin only. Both the Fox and ESP hooks are made in barbless, if that is what you use I use barbed myself as I don't trust barbless hooks.

Allan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Allan,
Generally I try to cover all angles (pun intended
as I find each has their own merit.
Match fishing gives me the opportunity to pit my wits against others not only the fish, whilst specimen hunting also has many attributes and often greater satisfaction. I try not to get too involved in just one aspect of the sport but cover all, even a bit of wreck fishing now and again.
As regards location, mainly in and around Yorkshire, stillwater and river but like the next few days we'll be down on the Hampshire/Berkshire border at Yateley hopefully pulling into one or two of their big Carp.

I'll get a report on the site when we get back and if we catch a monster or two, even some photo's.

Regards, Dave

Larry Teepot

hey Allan ive had gudgeon up to an ounce an half on a 20 hook and Roach 50 to the pound?

Larry Teepot

Allan

Oh, my god Larry that would drive me potty, no disrespects I would sooner sit on the river for a month and blank!! LOL

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.