Boilie mix

BarryVietnam

Hi.
So I moved to Vietnam. Lots of good things about the place, but getting quality fishing bait isn’t one of them.

So I’m thinking I’ll make my own boilies. I’ve had a look for recipes and they all seem to use crushed hemp as the base mix. The only place you can get hempseed here is in the expensive organic hippy shop.

Can anyone suggest alternative mixes? I’m struggling to find any particle mixes here. Even the bird food is artificial pellet that doesn’t hold together in water.

Thanks for any help

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@BarryVietnam

On Youtube, you'll find lots of video's on how to make quick and easy boilies of all colours and flavours. Take a look here and you'll find a shed load including pop-ups, Carp and Catfish. Or just search Bait Vault. All are easy to make and just take minutes to do. Here's just one of them.

And another...

Experiment and enjoy the fishing.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
loads of base mixes are semolina or soya flour base mixes and things you can buy in a super market, would think in vietnam you will have a whole array of spices as well. ano google search for semolina or soya base mix will give you loads of options

BarryVietnam

Awesome. Thanks very much guys. I checked a bunch of recipes and they all used crushed hemp. I can find these ingredients though.

As a follow up question. What types of seeds are suitable for particle baits?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There's one with poppy seeds (if you can get them over there).

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
hmmm i cannot think of any nuts or seeds that will harm or are poisonous to carp, certainly badly prepared seeds/nuts can be harmful but just get a cheap coffee grinder and grind the seeds or nuts that you want to use first, makes the most sense to me as all the oils, vitmains ets are released form the seeds/nuts by the grinding process so that is what i would do and have done before with tigernut boilies

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
just look at teh variety of seeds found in birdfoods and then lots of nuts as well, peanuts, tigernuts, chick peas, sunflower seeds, chillies, cinnamon, fresh corriander, fenugreek, lemongrass, star anise, pepper, red lentil, any lentil lol, fennel and a million others

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
could be the start of a bait company in Vietnam lol! good luck

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Here are some of my boilie recipes based mainly on common food products. May be of some help as a basic start...

HERE

Ralph.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Maize meal is a good base for paste mate so I would have thought it would be just as good for boilies. What sort of fish are you after in Vietnam?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Peanuts used for bird feeding are not suitable as a fish bait (even when boiled) as they are of a lower grade and potentially higher levels of aflatoxin.
Aflatoxin ironically thrives in warm and humid conditions which might be a problem in the 'Nam
Barry can actually say "you weren't there man,you weren't there" :)

Barry look up semolina based boilies and then you can add whatever you want.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i never said use bird food, i said nuts that can be found in birdfood as you are totally correct.

Carp and giant catfish reside there from memory of my trip last year, saw lots of fish in various markets

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Awesome. Thanks very much guys. I checked a bunch of recipes and they all used crushed hemp. I can find these ingredients though.

As a follow up question. What types of seeds are suitable for particle baits?

Nice and simple is just sweetcorn and cooked wheat, you can do the wheat in 2 ltr flasks overnight, once it's cooked you can soak it in some mollasses which you would probably be able to get in 5 ltr containers as an animal feed.
Liquidized sweetcorn is another good addition to home made boilies and goes well with the loose fed corn