Boiler Problems

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
We have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler which is 13 years old. It was fitted by the people we bought the house from.
For the last seven weeks we have had an intermittent fault occurring which shows the error message EA, which is easily reset. I have been told that this error message can refer to a variety of things and is not particular to one fault.
We are covered with Corgi Home Plan for repairs and maintenance. We have had an engineer out several times now with new ignition points and some wiring harness being fitted to no avail.
The engineer and Corgi have now told us to wait until the boiler shows a fault that cannot be reset which will indicate what the problem is or have a new boiler fitted.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
We had a Worcester high flow 400 that had issues. We had cover with Npower and after several visits couldn't fix the problem. Called Worcester who for a set price came out and fixed the issue by replacing virtually every part in the boiler. If you switch to Worcester boiler cover you can pay the one off charge over 12 months

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I've contacted Worcester, our boiler is too old to be submitted to their plan. They have given me some names and phone numbers of heating engineers we're going to go with have a new boiler fitted.
Any recommendations for boilers or engineers gratefully received.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you are in receipt of any benefits do a Google for 'boiler replacement scheme' as there are grants available for replacement boilers and systems

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
Benefits, I wish I was but thanks Dave. I've got someone coming to see me on Friday to give a quote for a new one.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I got an Atag fitted when we changed boilers.10 years parts and labour free if you have it serviced by the fitter who fits it. You cant do it yourself only Atag qualified fitters.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
Thanks for telling me about Atag. I was given the names and phone numbers of Worcester Bosch approved fitters with the same conditions.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
@Arfer Mo
When you say "We have had an engineer out several times " was it a WB engineer arranged through their service dept or one through Corgi Home Plan
If not a WB Engineer then it might be worth giving them a call.
Thirteen years is old for an early Greenstar though and the newer versions are far more efficient.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
The engineer was from Corgi Home Plan. The boiler is too old for Worcester to offer its plan. We will be renewing the boiler.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Doesn't matter now as you are renewing but if you had gone to WB direct they would have either made a technical evaluation online,provided an engineer or made a recommendation on who to use (affiliation scheme)
All of the above would have probably cost and negates the advantage of having the plan (not worth it for an old boiler of course)
Boiler would be on it's last legs anyway
Good luck with the next one as they don't come cheap :)

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
I know it's not going to be cheap but working and efficient is better than not. We were without hot water and heating over Christmas last year which was not enjoyable to say the least. The boiler worked fine from after Christmas until after it was serviced in September when the problem re serviced..

feldri

Site Supporter
My boiler packed up 3 weeks ago. Got British Gas out and they said it's too old to repair. They want £3200 to replace said boiler. So, got a gas fire in the living room, electric convector heater in the bedroom and an electric shower. They can shove the new boiler where the sun don't shine. I ain't paying that amount even if I could. :mad:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wouldn't touch BG with a barge pole purely on their charges for new boilers.
Get recommendations for a good local independent plumber as you'll find they are a lot cheaper.
Around here a standard WB boiler replacement is around £2,200, that's supplied, fitted and commissioned to an existing system.
Make sure you ask for a MagFilter (other makes available) if not specified, that said a plumber worth his/her salt wouldn't fit a new boiler to an existing system without one

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
Thanks for that Dave. So far I've been given four names and numbers from Worcester and I've got one local as well. We already have a Ferox filter fitted and I'll be asking for like for like if they can't use existing accessories.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
The EA fault can be a nightmare. Gas valve sticking ,fan bearing plate sticking or condensate trap blocked. If you hear a gurgling when it locks out its the trap blocked.
I presume they have checked the co/co2 readings are correct. I would phone them back and tell them you want it repairing or you will contact the CEO of them and post on trust pilot and facebook. They will sort it .
I dont bother going to other managers. i have done this recently with Aldi and Merecedes and they have been all over me to sort things. Good luck

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
Thanks for that Neil but we'll go for having it replaced. I said earlier it's 13 years old but Worcester Bosch informed me the boiler was fitted in 2005 so 14 years old.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Thanks for that Neil but we'll go for having it replaced. I said earlier it's 13 years old but Worcester Bosch informed me the boiler was fitted in 2005 so 14 years old.
14 years isn't old and you won't gain anything on efficiency.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
My boiler packed up 3 weeks ago. Got British Gas out and they said it's too old to repair. They want £3200 to replace said boiler. So, got a gas fire in the living room, electric convector heater in the bedroom and an electric shower. They can shove the new boiler where the sun don't shine. I ain't paying that amount even if I could. :mad:

BG quoted us 4900 for a new boiler, i laughed and told the guy i didn't want to buy the company then showed him the door.

Went online and did a bit of searching, we had a quote from a local guy who was 2 grand cheaper than BG for the same boiler and pointed out that what BG was offering wasn't the best way as the flue would be next to a window and the pipework would have to altered far to much resulting in a load of floorboards etc being ripped up, his way would simply plumb into the existing pipework, he even sat down and drew a plan to show us what he meant.

BG are in it for their profits and their shareholders!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
To have my Atag iC Economiser Plus Combination boiler fitted (top of the range)
With, Atag vertical flue including a new slate,
Fit Adey magnetic filter,
Fit Scale reducer to boiler,
Fit mini expansion vessel to mains,
Run new gas supply from meter to boiler and cooker,
Fully Powerflush System,
Register with Gas Safe,
Fit ceiling plate,
Remove all waste.
Cost £2889.20 includes vat.
A bloody good job as well.
I had old 15mm pipework and he replaced it to the correct size , about 30m.

And its saving me about £7 a week.?

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
14 years isn't old and you won't gain anything on efficiency.

We had a similar problem last year. It started last year and this after the boiler had been serviced when the Central Heating started being used again. Last year it dragged on, we had an error message that we couldn't reset and had about a week over Christmas with no heating or hot water. My wife suffers with very bad Arthritis and she feels the cold. Since I retired I'm not so good being cold either.