Blue water...

Rich51

Site Supporter
Fished a local lake on Monday which has always been prolific with silvers and some carp to high doubles. I could always guarantee some action.
The lake has been taken over by a guy who is knowledgeable and keen to make improvements. He's dragged out tons of weed, improved pegs and generally tidied the place up. But (there's always a but) he's put blue dye weed suppressant in about 2 weeks ago. Water looks strange but plenty of fish showing so I gave it a go. Absolutely nothing all day not a knock or twitch on bait I've always done well on. Not even a Rudd when I tried to target them. Is this likely to be a a result of the dye and if so how long before the situation improves or am I just useless...

rudd

Site Supporter
Should have targeted Blue Orfe using Blue maggots ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If its been done recently, it'll knock the fishing back till the fish get used to it... once they've settled down it'll be business as usual

rudd

Site Supporter
Yes the dye / weed killer is going to affect the water and probably for a considerable amount of time.
Any thing affecting the balance of a venue will cause fish to change their habits short / medium term but have seen some venues take over a year to recover after fish kills, dredging or chalking.

Nicky Dodds

Fished a local lake on Monday which has always been prolific with silvers and some carp to high doubles. I could always guarantee some action.
The lake has been taken over by a guy who is knowledgeable and keen to make improvements. He's dragged out tons of weed, improved pegs and generally tidied the place up. But (there's always a but) he's put blue dye weed suppressant in about 2 weeks ago. Water looks strange but plenty of fish showing so I gave it a go. Absolutely nothing all day not a knock or twitch on bait I've always done well on. Not even a Rudd when I tried to target them. Is this likely to be a a result of the dye and if so how long before the situation improves or am I just useless...
Sounds exactly like sherburn bacon pond near me.

Philocalist

For what it's worth (from experience) Setting aside the fact that the dye has been put in at entirely the wrong time of year, and will be nigh-on useless as a measure to control the weed ........ fish will respond to anything that changes their environment, but will normally accomodate those changes over time, as they adjust.
The colour in the lake will be affected by several factors, the first one being at what concentration it was put into the lake (and how it was put in). Assuming that the normal guidelines were followed (and at best, it's a tricky calculation / guesstimate, based on the VOLUME of water in there - which will vary according to both area, measurable, and depth - guesswork, mostly), the colour could stay for weeks on end / maybe a couple of months, or vanish completely in less than a couple of weeks. Distribution of the dye throughout the lake depends upon the various sub-surface currents within the lake, and wind agitation at the surface - on a microscopic level, it's actually in suspension in the water, and will literally drop out of the water, through the water column to the lake bed, quite quickly without agitation. Can't really be precise, as there are so many variables.
Personally, I'm not a fan of using the stuff, though there is sometimes little alternative, and it can be effective IF used properly, at the correct time, and repeated if necessary.

FWIW, there is a product, recently launched, that works in the same way (i.e. by blocking light transmition), the big selling point being that it does NOT dye the lake technicolour. No idea (yet) of the technology behind it, but neeedless to say, it's way more costly than the bog-standard blue / green offerings.

Zerkalo

They did it at my local, Bells Mill Fishery, a year or two ago. It was just the Carp lake that was blue but I went there and suddenly the Match lake was blue. They didn't do any other work other than dying the water but they are meticulous about looking after their fishery, otter fences and everything, and it didn't seem to effect the fishing. I actually quite like the way it looks.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Three lakes the club that I'm a member of,cntrol were VERY heavily weeded and near unfishable, so with advice from experts (the E.A.) blue food grade dye was put into them. This was way back before the lock down, and it has had tremendous good effect on the weed growth. Oxygen levels have been checked on on very regular basis, (during the very hot spell daily) and it was found that the biggest of the lakes that was the most badly effected of the 3, the oxygen levels were spot on. One of the others needed a little help and had an electric aerator pump running that did the trick, and the third had a petrol driven pump, sending water though a venturey and that did the trick on that one.