Blue Light Card - Veterans

Chervil

Site Supporter
I've had a Defence Discount Card for a few years, and put it to good use. However, as I know there are a few other ex services on the site, I discovered a few weeks ago that we can get a Blue Light Card. £4.99 for two years. It seems to cover all the same places that the Defence Card does, with the added bonus of 10% off in ASDA, simply on production of the card, (and proof of identity). In this day and age 10% is worth the £4.99. Had mine for 3 weeks, well worth it.

Not sure how long the 10% will go on for.

I just had to upload, the discharge page from my red book. 'Every Little Helps', no, wait that's Tesco

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Partner has got one and we have saved quite a bit when we have eaten out at places that partake.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My missus has a BLC owing to the job she does and you can even use them in Go outdoors (FR) ;)

Gaz9243

My wife’s just got one yesterday, and saved £3 last night on kfc, so it’s over half paid for itself already.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
We both contribute quite a bit towards keeping the financial needs of society going - so we are allowed ;)

JLK

Quick economics lesson. 🧐
Third-degree price discrimination. 😉
Legal but is it ethical and who ends up paying for these discounts in the long run 🤔?
Well.. the retailers will naturally raise prices to accomadate the discounts, which then means that the non reward card consumer who can't join a reward scheme ends up paying towards the cost of the reward card holders discount. 🤫

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Retailers have been offering individual and group discounts since time began - it's part of errr? -> retailing ;)
Nothing is different here other than the 'group' are people who have served their country either in the pandemic or forces.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Err haven't retailers been offering loyalty cards with discounts like forever?

Isn't encouraging traffic to the business part of the business strategy?

Perhaps when the most successful were on the way to their wealth they all missed the economics lessons.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Excellent and IMO it's a good way to reward those who offer a lot to societies needs and serve the country.
👍

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Legal but is it ethical and who ends up paying for these discounts in the long run 🤔?
Well.. the retailers will naturally raise prices to accomadate the discounts, which then means that the non reward card consumer who can't join a reward scheme ends up paying towards the cost of the reward card holders discount. 🤫
Tough!

Chervil

Site Supporter
Easy enough to get one, just put some time in with one, or more than one of these. I did 3, sorry quick recount 4.
4x4 Response
  • Ambulance Service
  • Blood Bikes
  • Border Force
  • British Army
  • Cave Rescue
  • Community First Responders
  • Fire Service
  • Highways England Traffic Officer
  • HM Armed Forces Veterans
  • HM Coastguard
  • HM Prison Service
  • Immigration Enforcement
  • Lowland Search and Rescue
  • MoD Fire Service
  • MoD Police
  • Mountain Rescue
  • NHS
  • Police
  • Red Cross
  • Reserve Armed Forces
  • RNLI
  • Royal Air Force
  • Royal Marines
  • Royal Navy
  • Search and Rescue
  • Social Care Workers
  • St Andrews Ambulance
  • St John Ambulance
  • UK Visas and Immigration

JLK

Throughout the pandemic they were offering 15% off at gooutdoors. That was a good do 👍🏻

JLK

Again. Why do people always make assumptions about others.
Did I slate the card. Errr. No.
I just pointed out the fact that reward cards of all types sit under the third degree discrimination banner.
We might get certain discounts for owning one but we are also paying a price for the ones we don't have.

Greeny1178

Site Supporter
My mum has one , as she works in the nhs she says there brilliant . But as usual if someone thinks your having something there not they kick off just like the blue badge she got , just because you can just about walk they shout when packing not knowing she works and got disability issues .

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
What sort of discounts are available with BLC please (where and how much)?

e.g. Is the Go Outdoors discount instead of, or as well as the Go Outdoors card discount?

The web site seems to want you to register and buy a card before it will disclose such things.

....And is it really any good? - Previous 'great deals' that I have seen offered to NHS staff tend to be things like "save 3p on every 20 3/4 inch tap washers at Bargain Stores" and similarly useless offers.

Ta.

JLK

To be honest I always thought it was pretty naff apart from an odd one or two specific retailers.
Go outdoors offer their discount card code (£5 a year) which gets you the savings displayed on their site if used in the apply card number box online.
Then you can add the discount card code from blc to the voucher box on the checkout page.
Current blc discount for go outdoors is 10% but you get 10% off with go outdoors own code of JUNE10.

Chervil

Site Supporter
What sort of discounts are available with BLC please (where and how much)?

e.g. Is the Go Outdoors discount instead of, or as well as the Go Outdoors card discount?

The web site seems to want you to register and buy a card before it will disclose such things.

....And is it really any good? - Previous 'great deals' that I have seen offered to NHS staff tend to be things like "save 3p on every 20 3/4 inch tap washers at Bargain Stores" and similarly useless offers.

Ta.
Go outdoors is an extra 10 percent. There are literally 100s of places on their list, most I will never use, if there is anything in particular let me know and I will have a look.

Edit, if you download the app, I think you can look through the places that offer discounts, without being a member.