Bloody Weed !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Our latest club match was last Sunday at Cornhill Ponds near the village of East Cowton in North Yorkshire. The venue is also known locally as the parrot mans since the owner breeds and imports rare birds chiefly parrots.

The venue has two main lakes and a tiny, almost ornamental, third pond. The largest lake is roughly square, with a couple of islands and probably stretches to about an acre. The smaller lake is rectangular, with more islands and roughly half the acreage of the larger pond.

Weve used these lakes for our club matches for the last two or three seasons initially on the smaller lake but this year and last on the larger one. I didnt have any pegs reserved, as usual, so arriving at the venue half an hour before the start I had a quick scoot round the lake to see how many pegs were free. The lake is heavily infested with Canadian pondweed in the shallower areas so this cut down the number of available pegs to just eight one of which was already occupied.

The smaller lake already had half a dozen anglers fishing it, so since we had eight anglers fishing today I decided that whoever drew peg eight would have to fish the smaller lake whilst the rest of us fished the larger one. The bigger lake has produced slightly better weights in the past but theres not a huge amount in it.

Youre looking to catch something approaching ten pounds to win a real mixture of roach, rudd, small carp, little tench, orfe, perch, skimmers etc etc. Last year John won it with 12lb odd, a brace of 7lb+ weights being second and third.
The draw saw five of us arranged along the east bank (John actually pulling out the peg he won it from last year) with Trevor all on his own on the south bank, Bob on the west bank and Kev relegated to the smaller pond.
Cornhill1-8-10004a.jpg

Cornhill1-8-10001.jpg

All along the marginal shelf is thick pondweed which extends out roughly four or five metres, the pond then deepening to a maximum of about seven feet before slowing shelving up again approaching the islands the far margins also being thickly covered with weed.

I fed two lines initially both with a mixture of corn and 4mm pellet one at 5m just beyond the pondweed and the other at 10m which was roughly the deepest part of my peg. I expected to catch the majority of my fish fishing shallow just a foot or so deep occasionally looking over the areas Id fed to see if any bonus fish had turned up - there are some very big carp in this lake.[;)]

Cornhill1-8-10006.jpg

I soon discovered that although the visible pondweed only extended for a short distance, there was another couple of metres beneath the surface a trashed rig and a smashed stonfo being the result.[:(]

I started catching a few small fish fishing shallow at 4m to hand but once the breeze got up I couldnt hold the float still enough on a long line so was forced to fish at 8m I couldnt keep them coming though and was rapidly dropping behind Mike on the next peg who was getting em one a bung on caster mainly little ounce sized roach and rudd but every fifth or sixth fish would be a netter of four or five ounces.

Pat lost got wiped out by two large fish early on fishing the bomb so I decided to follow suit and see if I could snare anything decent I did get a tench but it was only a junior version of three or four ounces.[:(]
John was having a nightmare on peg one the pondweed cost him four out of the five rigs hed made especially for the venue and he was that hacked off he left with an hour to go. I did weigh him in before he left though 3lb 7oz being his total.
Cornhill1-8-10008a.jpg

Mikes peg died late on but Dave alongside him had started catching on the waggler and Kev over on the other pond was claiming eighty odd fish with 45 minutes to go.

Calling time at four oclock I started the weigh-in at Dave who tipped 6lb 5oz on to the scales.
Cornhill1-8-10010a.jpg

Mike just pipped him with 6lb 11oz.
Cornhill1-8-10011a.jpg

I had only a pound and a half and Pat just a single fish of 4oz. Trevor hadnt managed anything decent, weighing in just 10oz of bits and Bob had suffered the dreaded DNW. It all depended on how big Kevs fish were not quite big enough was the answer he weighed 6lb 6oz for second spot.
Cornhill1-8-10015a.jpg

The pondweed spoiled the match for everybody really (except Kev there isnt any in the other lake) and I think Ill be looking for an alternative venue for next season.

Next match is the 15th August our first visit of the season to Parklands Fishery near Northallerton. This match is the Golden Jubilee trophy it was presented to the club by our former president the late Len Hall to mark the clubs 50th anniversary with the proviso that we do something different with it.
With that in mind the trophy doesnt go to the captor of the biggest fish or the heaviest weight but to the angler who catches the most different species during the match normally makes for an interesting day.[;)]

More photos and some video on the Youtube link
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYIol7rRsw[/youtube]

Simon

teztench

Good report Simon R.Well done to all of you that fished the match.It was a shame that the pondweed spoilt it a bit for you all.Hope your next match is much better for you all.Tight Lines[:T]

Simon R

Site Supporter
Youtube appear to have killed my original video - so here's the replacement:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjp1EK1Rjk[/youtube]

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.