Bloody weather

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Rubbish, what good is correct clothing going to do trying to present a bait in 40 MPH winds and lashing rain ?‍♂️?‍♂️
Precisely. It's meant to be enjoyable. Plus - not all waters are "park behind your peg". Some involve a long walk & it's not much fun being soaked before you even arrive at your peg.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Luckily the Nene is nowhere near being coloured yet, let alone flooded.
Thames has been pretty lively for over a fortnight now. It’s dropped to half decent for the odd couple days then we get weather like this again for a couple days and it’s straight back up again. Hasn’t been in good nick since over 3 weeks ago now.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
As a life long angler who has fished in just about all conditions I do not abort a fishing trip lightly. However being retired my fishing
time is not so precious as when working so I can pick and choose my days. I can understand a match angler not wanting to let his team
down but I see no pleasure fishing in a heavy rain storm.

davylad

Brilliant fishing weather here today until the really heavy rain arrived at 2pm. Should have been Stillwater roach or carp fishing.

For Davylad; I go fishing when the conditions are right, if it isn’t right, I don’t go.
I'm too old to wait for good weather. ;) You might be better off spelling your username with a W.:love::love::love::love: Only joking mate, you're probably right what you say.(y)

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I was planning a trip to chard res tomorrow as river will be flooded by morning and fed up with our club ponds. At an hours drive to sit in a gale and possibly get soaked even wearing correct clothing I see zero pleasure in it. I'll save it for better conditions.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think the pleasure point sums it up. For me at least there’s no fun it get soaked and or getting your head blown off not to mention how difficult it makes the fishing.

Does make me appreciate good weather more when it’s like this. Have had some cracking weather on the bank at times this year.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Oh, oh, oh . . . What a bunch of nancyboys!

Rain: Waterproof rain wear was invented a long time ago. Brollies too.

Cold: Proper clothing can fix that also.

Wind: Choose the venue and the peg where the wind will affect you the least.

Flood: If possible, fish close to the bankside, fish the backwaters, or choose a different venue.

Be happy that you are healty, and still can fight the elements. And win.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Oh, oh, oh . . . What a bunch of nancyboys!

Rain: Waterproof rain wear was invented a long time ago. Brollies too.

Cold: Proper clothing can fix that also.

Wind: Choose the venue and the peg where the wind will affect you the least.

Flood: If possible, fish close to the bankside, fish the backwaters, or choose a different venue.

Be happy that you are healty, and still can fight the elements. And win.
Very commendable ??If I’m fishing a match , I’ll always sit it out and make the most of the situation, and adapt accordingly-but in these lockdown days of pleasure fishing, I pick and choose!! I’m no nancy boy, I break ice to fish matches in winter, I have all the correct clothing,and brolly, covered bait trays etc....But I prefer not to sit in some conditions for a pleasure session, they’ll be plenty more chances to go !?‍♂️

squimp

Site Supporter
Thames has been pretty lively for over a fortnight now. It’s dropped to half decent for the odd couple days then we get weather like this again for a couple days and it’s straight back up again. Hasn’t been in good nick since over 3 weeks ago now.
Thames was too low and clear last time I fished.

But it has hammered down here this afternoon, so will probably come up in the next couple of days.

davylad

I should have maybe said, I can usually go to a venue where you can almost always get shelter from the wind wherever it's blowing from. If it's sea fishing whether beach or boat, then the weather conditions play a huge part. Like chefter says, if it's a match you haven't much choice.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thames was too low and clear last time I fished.

But it has hammered down here this afternoon, so will probably come up in the next couple of days.
I last fished it on Tuesday and it was borderline for the typical styles of Thames fishing. Colour good and the pace just about ok for float fishing but needed over 60g to hold bottom which is bad for the Thames. Should think it was probably not far off spot on by yesterday but no doubt be tanking through again and brown by the end of tomorrow. Last two weekends prior to lockdown matches were cancelled due to it being a mess so certainly been over 3 weeks since it’s been any good for any length of time. Of the bits I fish Donnington will likely stay ok ish but medley, sandford and Northmoor will be stuffed for a week or so now, Clifton depends which bits.

squimp

Site Supporter
Its Interesting how our views of good conditions are so different.

I feeder fished on my last trip and 50g was too heavy, I ended upon about 35g.

barbelblanker

I work 5 days a week so have to take whatever mother nature chucks at me on a weekend. Today it rained pretty much all day, wind got up and it was miserable. I hunkered down in a big brolly shelter and had my best day of the year at my club water, and had the place to myself. Started with a 6lb tench at 10am and had a fish every 10 mins or so until dark Nothing massive, but commons and mirrors between 2 and 8lb. All on popped up bread and liquidised bread in a method feeder. Bites were quite finnicky, so detection was hard at times. I'm still buzzing about today really, I thought I may struggle!

jimbo1946

Three or four hours dropshotting on the canal next Tuesday.After that the weather starts to really go downhill.At least l won't have to keep dodging bloody cyclists if its rubbish weather. First bit of good stuff and the towpath turns into a racetrack.Their a damned menace!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Its Interesting how our views of good conditions are so different.

I feeder fished on my last trip and 50g was too heavy, I ended upon about 35g.
Blimey I could barely hold with 42g a couple rod lengths out Tuesday.

Depends where you are and what you are fishing for I guess. The conditions you need for roach and dace at say medley or sandford are very different to what you’d want for barbel and chub where I suspect you are currently fishing. Wider and in places deeper where I think you might be as well which makes it a different prospect to where I am ??

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My only chance to fish is a Saturday with work and home so I face whatever the weather is doing - bonus of bad weather is less competition for a peg.

Its a lot easier on a stillwater than a river to wheedle bites out in horrid conditions

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Why is it always bad on the weekend...... not much difference to me as I really can’t do pleasure fishing, so I stayed in and watched the F1 qualifying, whilst the wind and rain lashed the outside of the house,

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Why is it always bad on the weekend...... not much difference to me as I really can’t do pleasure fishing, so I stayed in and watched the F1 qualifying, whilst the wind and rain lashed the outside of the house,
It’s typically alway rubbish weather on fishing days ?I was like you and hated pleasure fishing, but I’ve been 4 times recently, it’s been really hard fishing and I’ve really had to think about it, and try doing some different things, and got quite into it, I’ve been going with my matchfishing Buddy, I don’t think I would like going on my own ?‍♂️