Bloody carp

abbo27

I totally agree with the sentiment of this thread. Around where I live it's nothijng but carp. carp and more carp. Not that many years ago there used to be plenty of still waters which were full of tench, decent roach and rudd. Now they have all been stocked with loads of carp and as a result thats all there is to fish for. Carp are an alien species to this country, or at least the hybridised things that are bred as eating machines that are being introduced. They are predators in that they eat large quantities of fry and spawn, thier own as well as other species and thier agressive feeding vitually eats other species out of existance. Look on YouTube and see the damage they are doing in the USA and Australia where the authorities are netting them out of lakes and rivers by the ton to try and stop them wiping out other species.
They do appear to be able to live side by side in some places. I fished a match last autumn at Viaduct Fishery. I fished for carp and caught about 70lb. The angler on the next peg was targeting silvers. He pulled out 40lb+ and zero carp and won the silvers pool. Fantastic weights of both carp and silvers come out regularly. Good anglers, not me sadly, who target silvers, seem to be able to mainly avoid carp. I don't fish often enough to know for certain, but I would guess a not insignificant percentage of anglers in most matches there target only silvers. Some through choice, some based on the draw. That suggests there is a market for it so it is in fishery owners' interests to have silvers as well as carp.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Tbf, most people go fishing to catch fish - the species is irrelevant as long as they're fish, that's why it's called 'fishing'

If people didn't catch it would be called 'blanking'
And targeting specific species is called 'hoping'

:D
And a few people like some variety ... i get bored targetting the same species every match.
Appreciate that i’m unusual in that regard.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m happy just to catch but then I normally have a 5yr old with me who wants to see a float dip so an abundance of hungry stupid carp doesn’t bother me.

Looking on FB last week I saw one of the clubs I was a member of some 20yrs ago is stocking up again soon - this lake was very mixed; roach, rudd, perch, tench, skimmers, golden orfe and carp. A very popular water with a monthly club match league where you could scrape a fish out of all year long.

What’s going in this time - why carp - and that’s what has repeatedly gone in for several years looking back at posts. The only pics of catches from members on the page are of carp, carp and more carp.

If the policy for stocking is the same as back in the day then members suggest what the club should buy and the committee discuss, vote and act on it - this tells me that the membership all want carp so that’s what they are getting.

As long as people want to fish for carp above all other species then that’s what will go in to waters. If you are an angler who craves a bit of variety then I appreciate your pain but maybe resting up during the closed season and focussing on rivers is the only way to go (until @chefster gets his lottery win :eek::ROFLMAO::eek:).

Hope the OP finds somewhere that meets their needs.

Karl

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
When I first started fishing there was no Commercials,a switch to trout was needed if you wanted to carry on fishing. If you don't want to catch Carp then take up fluff chucking for trout in the coarse close season, very cheap to get started with minimum gear, if no big reservoir's near you there is normally private stocked trout lakes, a bit dearer day ticket than a commercials but no carp.

Robwooly

I posted a similar thread about losing the mojo after catching many chub on the canal. I think for some of us it can be a bit samey but maybe the OP could have been a bit more constructive in requesting ideas. Perhaps titling a thread 'Bloody Carp' wasn't the best idea in retrospect as it's always going to get a few bites from those that love carp and fish for them.

Most carp waters have other species like perch that grow to a really good size, also they rarely get caught if everyone is on the pellet, could be an idea to feed pellet away from you and try single maggot in the opposite direction, or try chopped worm. You should at least get some variety from the silvers and could get a really big stripey too

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Not my favourite species but if they take my bait during a pleasure session then crack on, all fish welcome. Different in a silvers only match where they get called all sorts of nasty names when caught, but then again, if l'm catching 8-10lb carp in a commercial match and a 2lb skimmer takes the bait he's going to get some abuse aswell.

Line Clip

Some of the dedicated silver anglers in our Matches moan like hell when they hook a carp on light gear,
they also moan like hell when I catch four half decent carp to beat there 25lbs plus of silvers, it is very rare
for an angler who goes all out for silvers to win one of our matches, but they still keep trying, and are so set in there
ways they just dislike carp.
But when the silver angler catches a carp by default it puts a smile on his face when that said carp makes the weight
up for him to frame in the Match :)

Silver fan 82

Some of the dedicated silver anglers in our Matches moan like hell when they hook a carp on light gear,
they also moan like hell when I catch four half decent carp to beat there 25lbs plus of silvers, it is very rare
for an angler who goes all out for silvers to win one of our matches, but they still keep trying, and are so set in there
ways they just dislike carp.
But when the silver angler catches a carp by default it puts a smile on his face when that said carp makes the weight
up for him to frame in the Match :)
Sounds a bit hypocritical to me?

Fartacus

Site Supporter
Carp is an anagram of rubbish it's bream, tench then anything else for me and when I do catch a rubbish I shake my head :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JayD

Wherever i look it is nothing but Carp this and carp that and with the closed season there is very little if any choice in my area but carp don't get me wrong i don't mind the occasional carp but every time my tip twitches or my float dips it is a carp they are becoming something of a pest is there any bait that carp will not eat that others will i am yet to find it over 40 fish again today all carp up to 10Lb sick of the things how the hell do i find somewhere carp free in the closed season i am sure i am not the only. one bring back good ole mixed fisheries sorry rant over feel better now.
Welcome to the club mate, I've been singing from the same sheet as you for the last 20/30 years. My skin has thickened over that time, it's had to because I've had insults, ridicule, and even threats by the net full thrown my way. I wish I'd had a 2lb roach for every time I've heard 'rose tinted glasses', 'it's an age thing', 'old dinosaur', 'if you don't like it pack it in', and the fall back comment when all else has failed, 'must be an anti, trolling' as well as some much harsher and even physically impossible suggestions along the way. Thankfully, you're getting the less harsh suggestions on here, this forum is well moderated, but be prepared for much worse if you dare to offer your opinion on some other sites.
The ironic thing is that although I get accused of being an anti, usually anti carp, I spent quite a lot of my time actually trying to catch the "bloody" things years ago, and have no problem with the carp dominated, very heavily stocked waters that are loosely classed as 'commercials'. If some want that type of catching, then more power to their casting arm. What angered and frustrated me was, as you say, the spread to almost every part of the country. I got laughed at for suggesting that carp are presently the most invasive species in our waters. Their numbers nationally, must have in creased 10000s of percent over the last 30 years. (Before I get demands for scientific evidence and official numbers, it's just an estimation based on waters I know, and read/heard about in journals, the media and on sites such as this one). The spread hasn't been like other cases such as escaped mink, signal crayfish, or mitten crabs, where the species have found conditions suitable, and they have bred, and spread. The carp 'invasion' is purely man made, mainly by anglers, and those who seek to profit from it, usually for financial gain. As I have said, I've no problem with those who want to fish these carp dominated waters, but I got incensed when I witnessed several local waters that I had fished regularly, That had good levels of mixed species, kept to a near natural level, by very rare, small stock adjustments, being subjected to an avalanche of carp. One in particular really hurt, a water of 13/15 acres, an old gravel pit, that I had fished since my youth, suddenly having 1000 carp between averaging around 2 to 3lb poured in over a couple of seasons. This was a decision made by some morons that wanted to 'spice up matches' because 'commercials' were so popular, and said it would increase membership. Wind forward a few years and many of the original members got tired of catching carp after carp on their pleasure sessions, and left, I was one of them. Then as the carp grew, rules came in stating no carp over 5lb to be put in keepnets, then matches were banned along with the use of keepnets, and the place became a 'runs' water catering to the 'specimen' anglers, and it's much the same now. All this time the membership kept dwindling until now it is a sad reflection of it's former self. As the membership fell, so did revenue, waters were lost, and consequently membership fell even more. This is mainly because a few narrow minded committee members thought that by following the 'trend' they could change what once was their 'flag ship' stillwater, for the 'better'. This is just one of the waters I know of that's been 'changed for the better' with similar outcomes. This one hurts the most because it was a place I just loved being there, on the good days, and the gruellers, a place that had a special atmosphere, not just for me, but others have said it. I could go on, (and often have), about the siting of these carp/exotic species filled 'fisheries' and the spillage into surrounding rivers etc, and the effects on the local indigenous species, but I've long since believed that the once held belief that 'anglers were the guardians of the waterside' has long since gone and has been consigned to the past along with mixed, 'natural', balanced fisheries, but that could just be an age thing, from an old angling dinosaur, wearing rose tinted glasses.

John.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I can understand why there is some antipathy towards the carp orientated commercial fisheries. Some of them are too easy, and sometimes it's a fish a chuck, with every bite resulting in another small carp.When the water surface is boiling with carp, whenever bait goes in, and a bite is almost guaranteed, then it can be fun sometimes. But when it's like that everyday, and very similar on every fishery, then eventually it becomes boring. Match sized carp after matched sized carp, day in, day out, will become very monotonous. But we live in an age where instant gratification is expected and needed by many, and the carp commercials provide that, and many are willing to pay to fish those lakes. So they are good business for the fishery owners. And carp are a fish that provides a fairly quick return on the fisheries investment. Stock a load of small carp of about a lb each into a lake, and they will feature in catches almost immediately and grow on quickly. Stock small tench or roach or rudd, and they can take years to grow to a decent size, and in the case of tench, they can often disappear into the pond, and not be seen for years, until they are bigger. So stocking with silvers and tench, can be a long-term prospect as opposed to the short term gain of stocking carp. And there are plenty of anglers, more than happy to fish for these carp, so it's understandable that fishery owners go down that route. It's a shame more aren't creating good mixed or silvers and tench ponds, but they are called commercials because they exist to make profit for their owners.

Foul hooked

I have nothing against catching the odd carp but not to the exclusion of all else. I grew up fishing the local canals and gravel pits were you could catch a mixed bag. When the float disappeared you didn’t know what you were going to get. Usually a small roach or possibly a skimmer, but every few trips would yield a tench, or maybe a “proper” bream or two, usually in the 3-4lb bracket. Once in a blue moon you might hook into something truly monstrous (or so we thought at the time) like a carp over 5lbs.
There were dedicated specimen lakes around where the bivvy brigade could follow their chosen calling. Some of the gravel pits held some genuine big fish ( usually only a few though) which were a challenge for the specimen hunters but still had something for everyone.
One lake I used to fish (sadly now syndicate controlled) held a good head of big carp up twenty pounds or so and was also heaving with everything from gudgeon which got in from the feeder stream, to some decent sized silvers. It was common for many, including myself, to fish two rods, one set up for the carp out in the deeper water or the gravel bar on the far side, and one float rod for everything else. If you actually got a carp it was a bonus.
It seems to me that nowadays things are the other way round and it is difficult to find decent mixed fisheries. Once carp start getting stocked in big numbers, it only takes a few years for everything else to decline as other species simply get out competed for the natural food. I am pretty sure that in many cases it is only anglers bait that maintains such stocking levels.
I understand that fishery owners have to make a living and will try to maximise their income by catering to popular demand but there must be plenty like myself who would prefer a mixed fishery where you don’t need to simply stick on a pellet that the fish have been fed on from fry to bag up.

badgerale

I understand that fishery owners have to make a living and will try to maximise their income by catering to popular demand but there must be plenty like myself who would prefer a mixed fishery where you don’t need to simply stick on a pellet that the fish have been fed on from fry to bag up.
This is the problem. Of all the lakes near me there is precisely one farm lake that i know of that doesn't have a big stock of carp - and it's deserted whenever i go so i'm sure they make next to nothing from day tickets and just keep it as it is out of lethargy. For a lot of people who started fishing more recently carp = fishing, and they aren't used able to get their head round why people would want to catch nuisance fish.

Where i think progress could be made is in fishing clubs - where there is often matchmen and more experienced pleasure anglers. If greater pressure was put on clubs to convert at least one lake into a non-carp venue that might succeed.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Do you not think that if the majority of " matchmen and more experienced pleasure anglers." wanted other than predominantly carp filled waters that it would have not happened by now?
There are numerous threads on this subject on this forum alone and within every one there are posts relating to what you are asking for stating that it has been tried and then reverted back due to a lack of interest.

" Of all the lakes near me there is precisely one farm lake that i know of that doesn't have a big stock of carp - and it's deserted"
That tells you all you need to know-most anglers want to catch decent sized fish now.

badgerale

Do you not think that if the majority of " matchmen and more experienced pleasure anglers." wanted other than predominantly carp filled waters that it would have not happened by now?
There are numerous threads on this subject on this forum alone and within every one there are posts relating to what you are asking for stating that it has been tried and then reverted back due to a lack of interest.

" Of all the lakes near me there is precisely one farm lake that i know of that doesn't have a big stock of carp - and it's deserted"
That tells you all you need to know-most anglers want to catch decent sized fish now.
I agree that is what most anglers want these days. I'm not asking for most fishing lakes to be be non-carp.

I'm saying there may be enough demand for one water in, maybe 20, to be non-carp.

I'm suggesting that there might be the highest demand within angling clubs, especially those with multiple stillwaters, and if people spoke up they might get somewhere.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Perhaps the majority are happy with what their clubs provide and those who do want dedicated Silvers and such are actually in the minority.
Clubs and Commies thrive by providing what their members and customers want and they soon lose the numbers if they cannot deliver.
The reality is most of the members on here want to go fishing and catch something that pulls back a bit - the thrill of 6oz Roach for many has long gone now and even more so on waters where nets are no longer permitted.

Foul hooked

I used to fish a small complex of four lakes, three held carp of varying sizes, one of which was very much a specimen lake and the fourth was basically a silvers/tench water which was always popular with those with youngsters in tow. A great place to learn with the chance of a few better fish too.
Sadly, some people thought that this lake needed carp putting in and It was not uncommon for anglers to put any carp they caught in the other lakes into this one whenever the owners were not looking. The result? Ten years later and practically the only fish in there now are carp.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Basically, even on this forum , there’s probably only really 20 + that constantly moan about carp and only want to catch silvers.....Now I know a few on here that purely fish for silvers, in matches, and you never once hear them moan 💁‍♂️They just go and fish 👍....my point being that most on here are quite happy to catch carp and a bit of everything else in front of them , and never moan ....Now if I was running a commercial I would cater for the majority, the odd moaners could vote with their feet , and fish somewhere else

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wasnt going to post on this thread after the initial silliness that I'm sure everyone saw coming but as its calmed down a bit now and I'm bored so I'll dare to comment 😅

Contrary to the belief of some I personally have nothing against carp as a species. I still really like surface fishing for them and until a few years ago when I got pretty fully into my current guise of a predominantly natural water silvers angler I used to do quite a bit of commercial carp fishing with variations of the pellet waggler and margins being the ways I'd mostly fish for them. I'll whisper it quitely but I even used to fish for F1! The sacks of hemp I now have used to be expanders! Even now when silvers fishing I have no problem getting a couple carp in a session and tbh if they're small enough that you can get them in without trashing your silvers swim even getting one every hour or so is quite a welcome interlude. I'm even slightly warming to the idea of maybe one day trying big carp fishing having wandered around a few lovely looking such waters last year that hold some lovely looking carp. Even short term I'm thinking about having a go a boddington to practice some feeder fishing!

Whilst I'd welcome some carp free lakes to give me some more closer to natural style fishing in the closed season I'm not naive to the fact they are not likely financially viable seeing as most anglers not interested carp fish natural waters anyway so don't need special lakes designed for them more or less only for outside of the river season. I don't even personally see a need for lakes to be totally carp free for people to be able to fish for other species as with sensible stocking there can be enough carp in a lake to target for those who want to do so without there being so many that anglers not interested in them get bothered by them too much. You just have to find such lakes and there's a few about if you look. Contrary again to what some say in some parts of the country there are loads of anglers that still fish for other species it's just that for 9 months of the year they don't need commercials to do it on or maybe have club lakes that cater for them year round.

What I really don't like personally and judging by this forum I'm clearly not alone are the lakes stocked with so many carp that you catch loads whilst actively trying to avoid them to fish for other species. Mainly because it's annoying not being able to catch your target but also because it's so in contradiction to to a natural biomass that it just seems overly artificial to me. It's one thing catching loads of them by design but catching tens of pounds of them without trying seems a bit over the top to me. Seems a bit like playing video games on the easiest setting to win every race or match or be essentially bulletproof! But I have no problem with such places existing for those that like that sort of thing and fortunately I have enough alternative venues available to me that I don't have to fish them especially in season. There will however be people who for whatever reason are stuck with such venues so they do have my sympathy that such places are their only options if that's not what they like. But if so you just have to put up with them, bit like I just have to put up with bleak on my local rivers and canals! For what it's worth it's not just places with stupid amounts carp that drive me mad those with hordes of stunted Rudd are just as bad.

A last note it is perfectly acceptable for some people to just not like certain species of fish for whatever reason. I don't particularly understand such decisions personally as apart from minnows that are simpy too small and cats and eels that are simply too ugly and slimy (never caught them luckily) I'm perfectly happy catching any of our British species in some way, shape or form as variety is the spice of life and all that. But if other people only like certain species then they are fully entitled to. I don't quite buy the any fish is worth catching though as I have caught some truly horrible fish at sea that to my knowledge nobody enjoys catching 😂

Anyway said my piece hopefully be well received but I'll leg it now just in case 😅

Last edited: