Bloody carp

Total

Site Supporter
It's probably childish but I've now got an image in my head of hordes foreign shrimps in tiny dinghies being trafficked across the channel 😂
They won't stop at nothing to eventually stop fishing on the broads......:(....My eldest lives/fishes up that way......

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Total, trouble is it only takes a few of the wrong people with the authority to create bylaws.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I guess I am lucky in that the Wellingborough club lakes I fish are stocked with a complete variety of fish, including but not dominated by carp. Through most of the Winter I have caught very few carp.

On the same site I have river, backwater and lock cutting plus two specimen lakes. Within a 30 minute drive I can be on two different stretches of canal.

But honestly, fish are fish are fish. Float goes under, tip goes round, that's the exciting part. What is on the end is of secondary consequence to me.

Joe C

Yes but why would you go to a carp lake and target the little roach, perch etc💁‍♂️💁‍♂️In a match, or even if I’m pleasure fishing I want to catch something I know is on the end, them little silvers are just nuisance fish.......I honestly can’t understand anyone who goes and fishes what is in essence a carp puddle,and then comes on here and rants that they can’t stop catching carp 😂😂😂Don’t Fish Them -simple
Remember when I made that mistake 😂

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
have a look in your area for specimen carp waters and target the silver fish. There will be some big boys in there because of the amount of bait that goes in.
Maybe the £300 syndicate fee might be too much for a day's roach fishing 😂😂

Total

Site Supporter
Ahh yes, fair point this 😂😂😂
Joe, Re your 'one pound roach' thread....:giggle:....When you fish for them, please where a quieter shirt than the one you've got on in your avatar!:cool::eyepop:....And you'll have 'em crawling up your rod!;):roflmao:

smiffy

Site Supporter
Joe, Re your 'one pound roach' thread....:giggle:....When you fish for them, please where a quieter shirt than the one you've got on in your avatar!:cool::eyepop:....And you'll have 'em crawling up your rod!;):roflmao:
That’s a onesie 😉

Joe C

😂😂😂😂😂 I’m famous for my shirts locally.

Need to swap ASOS for Daiwa in khaki green, maybe that’ll help.

DontKillZander

Prefer to see Commies stocked with Zander or Cats myself as they would keep the fish numbers down
Lee you might be joking but this is exactly the sort of fish lucky dip/specimen lakes on commercials should contain.

I said this the other day, that big "specimen lake" in the middle of every second commercial is just a retirement home for the match carp, they could be really nice attractions for natural anglers, home to Pike, Tench, Perch, Zander, Catfish, Crucians, Rudd, Roach, Chub, Eels? Trout? etc etc - I don't understand why so many fishery owners are blind to it.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Think PAB you have 4 options.
1. If this venue is the only one available/accessible to you, then take a break from it
2. Or Keep fishing it, but try a new tactic, pellet waggler/shallow time approaching for example and it would seem a good venue to practice that. Or set yourself a challenge like trying to target the larger/largest fish in it.
3. Go to other venues and fish other disciplines if you have other places you can go.
4. On the theme of option 3 and this option, consider targeting any rivers nearby and use the current down time to do your homework and prep for it.

If it is the only venue you have accessible, then i do feel for you in a way, but equally i understand a lack of sympathy too from others who would love that sort of 'sport'.

If it's not and you have options, the do something about it. Don't mistake this last point as harshness, but when decisions need to be made and it would seem one is needed, then the options need to be clear and to the point i feel.

aseadabite

I totally agree with the sentiment of this thread. Around where I live it's nothijng but carp. carp and more carp. Not that many years ago there used to be plenty of still waters which were full of tench, decent roach and rudd. Now they have all been stocked with loads of carp and as a result thats all there is to fish for. Carp are an alien species to this country, or at least the hybridised things that are bred as eating machines that are being introduced. They are predators in that they eat large quantities of fry and spawn, thier own as well as other species and thier agressive feeding vitually eats other species out of existance. Look on YouTube and see the damage they are doing in the USA and Australia where the authorities are netting them out of lakes and rivers by the ton to try and stop them wiping out other species.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tbf, most people go fishing to catch fish - the species is irrelevant as long as they're fish, that's why it's called 'fishing'

If people didn't catch it would be called 'blanking'
And targeting specific species is called 'hoping'

:D

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
"Not that many years ago there used to be plenty of still waters which were full of tench, decent roach and rudd."

With the RTG's on we may think that might be the case but is that really true?
There may have been waters that had decent stocks of fish that were fairly consistant with the odd really good nets, but just how widespread were they.
We only had one water that I was aware of in South/West Worcs where Roach/Rudd were the prominent species and 20lb bags were constantly achievable but the fishing declined over ten years in the late 90's on and the Carp/Tench numbers were of a very low percentage.
John Bailey released an article on Roach fishing in 2017/18 (I think) where he commented that Roach fishing had been in decline for decades and this was on waters which Carp had not been stocked or had not naturalised in any numbers to make a difference.
The same would probably apply to Rudd.
LBH there are few Carp in the Fens/Broads but those waters are nothing like they used to be.

Fish stocks cycle and if next generation breeding stocks diminish year on year then the overall stocks will diminish with them.
Barbel are the No.1 example of this and I would suggest that Tench are not far behind - how many Carp are there in Sywell?

I would suggest that the demise of Tench/Roach/Rudd etc has been down more to the influence of man and the types of waters being lost (farm ponds,estate lakes etc) than the growth of Carp, and LBH most of the waters they are in are in is because that water was designed for that purpose.

Last edited:

rudd

Site Supporter
but what would you call it if it was exactly the same every day, day in day out non stop.
Purgatory.
Thats why I mix my fishing, sea, coarse, trout and try to use loads of different methods every year.

rudd

Site Supporter
Tbf, most people go fishing to catch fish - the species is irrelevant as long as they're fish, that's why it's called 'fishing'

If people didn't catch it would be called 'blanking'
And targeting specific species is called 'hoping'

:D
I go blanking Dave, just to get away, relax and be surronded by nature.
Any fish are a bonus - If I blank I am never disappointed!