Bloody carp

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not at all Mr PAB, you are entitled to post (within site rules) what you want....(y).......Posts such as these will always be contentious, hence the 'can of worms'....;)(y)
Yes exactly, and you’ll probably get sympathy off some people, but I’m not one of them

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How did you catch them? Pole, feeder, waggler? Reason I ask is that when I decide to fish a lake where I'm likely to catch mostly Carp I fish it unconventionally on a cage feeder (or waggler when it's warmer). People might laugh, and I might only catch 20 fish instead of 40, but for me it's the 'most fun' way of fishing, others will have their preferred way but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Silver fan 82

yes as far as i know i only go during the closed season
As has been said before in other posts most commercials stock mainly carp because that's what most people want to catch. It gets people through the gates which pays the bills. That's the simple answer.
Have you got any silvers lakes near you?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Stop pleasure fishing commercial carp waters, I'm looking for some natural waters during closed season, can't get on my old haunts as they've been turned into private syndicates or private.
Looks like Himley Hall and Barston might be getting a visit.

Last edited:

RiggersSW

I don't understand the popularity with hauling carp out constantly either, especially when it's not a challenge and I've complained about it in the past but it's the same as every business. Right now carp fishing is the most popular of course angling whether it's specimen style or match style, it's what's big at the moment. And if that's what people enjoy that's absolutely fine. Stocking a lake full of carp to the point that you'd be hard pushed to blank is going to pretty much guarantee people through the gate.
That being said, I do really wish there were less of these type of waters and more mixed fisheries. I'd take one 3lb roach over 1000 1-10lb carp any day of the week.

RiggersSW

Also I don't have anything against that style of venue or angling as I used to do it a lot myself. But I do understand PAB's point, it's not as easy as "fish somewhere else" everywhere in the country. I can't think of a single venue in my part of the country that either isn't a commerical carp pool or a carp speci lake.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I just don’t understand it, I have had three trips out in the last week or so, to try out a new pole and rod. One of those was to a lake I could pretty much guarantee to catch double figure carp and plenty of silvers, I did just that, another lake I fished a peg that would usually have been a carp peg, only had one and about 15lb of silvers, yesterday had 60lb+ of skimmers to over 4lb, three different venues, all commercials, all with plenty of carp in, but also full of silvers, (most commercials are) is it the way you are fishing?

Irishhybrids

PAB, what area you looking and fishing , how are you setting your stall out so to speak, may be worth adjusting your tactics to avoid the Carp ?

62tucker

Site Supporter
I love fishing for carp. But went to a place that 5 years ago you got a mixed bag and a few decent carp. 10/15 pounders.
last time got sick of 2/3 pounders and I sure if I had put a trail of pellets on the bank they would of climbed out. FD7CB88B-1924-4736-B9EA-C210DE5B4D21.jpeg

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
To be fair, there is a valid point around the loss of accessible mixed venues in some areas.
Whilst it is a case of supply and demand ... there is also a right to protest such changes.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
It’s a difficult one, if this fishery is the only one near you, then, either fish it, or don’t go, my regular fishery is closed at the minute, so I’ve been on the local commies,, practing my feeder fishing for silvers, but, I won’t fish anywhere, where, I can touch the far bank with 16mtrs of pole, I prefer a bit of water in front of me, to fish a waggler or feeder, I wouldn’t moan about it, I just wouldn’t go

Total

Site Supporter
I love fishing for carp. But went to a place that 5 years ago you got a mixed bag and a few decent carp. 10/15 pounders.
last time got sick of 2/3 pounders and I sure if I had put a trail of pellets on the bank they would of climbed out. FD7CB88B-1924-4736-B9EA-C210DE5B4D21.jpeg
^^ :love:......Looks like the sort of swim our @Peter would draw?;):p