Bloody big heavy box

Total

Site Supporter
Last time I had some Mark they were fastened to a Brennan & Hickman seat box. Way before your time young man. ??

Ok Dad! ;) .....Ya can be as nice as you like ('young man'), ya still ain't having ya chocolate back! :p;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ok Dad! ;) .....Ya can be as nice as you like ('young man'), ya still ain't having ya chocolate back! :p;)
What you do with your melted chocolate Mark is your business. I'm good thanks. You keep the chocolate pal. ??

PeteC

I bought a Preston inception a little while ago to replace my 30yr old masterpiece of wooden cabinetry which was great but bloody heavy and has served me very well. The Preston was the lightest I could find...but then I added a couple of trays and filled the damn thing up ...result is that it's still heavy......? I've also managed to accumulate a whole heap of attachments for it as well which needs a separate bag to carry them in. The only saving grace is that I can at least take the trays off if I don't need them for a particular outing, just needs a disciplined approach. I must admit I do really like the Preston though and I also have the 360 seat with it that I can stick on it when I have a few back twinges and it is just so comfortable....bloody good job I don't have to walk far to now reach the places I fish the most......

Chervil

Site Supporter
I don't fish the pole and, because my back sometimes causes me some problems, I wanted something easier to get out off than my Korum accessory chair (although I still do use it and an old very light Keenets chair).
I went for one of these, which seems to do the trick. king-feeder-chair-set.jpg

Incidentally, when I get around to giving it a clean and finding somewhere to put the stuff that's in it, over the next couple of weeks, hopefully I will put an old blue shaky box , with octuplus legs in the 'free to collector' section. I haven't used it in well over 20 years, so someone might as well make use of it.

Last edited:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
What is that Chervil? It looks very good.
can the back rest be moved out of the way if pole fishing?
is there any space under the seat for a few hook boxes, floats etc!
thanks

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Personally I have a Garbolino GBC-18 which to me is one of the best boxes I've owned and seen.
They are light enough to carry in and out of the boot, compact enough not to take up all the available space, and has 25mm legs which are more than strong enough to carry my svelt frame ;)

The additional trays come out as one with the ease of pulling one knob, so if weight is a problem they can easily be separated whilst loading and unloading.
Unfortunately, the box has now been discontinued in favour of the 36mm legged range, but you should still find some around if you look

Here's the spec....

I have a Sensas of a similar design. Good strong box and well made. When I came back to fishing a few years ago, I thought I would treat myself to a new box. Looked around and decided on the Preston XS6. Only used it a few times, rubbish design, poorly made and I hated it. Sold it on and bought the Sensas with very little use. Kept my old Boss system 6 drawer box for when I go to the river.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
thanks
Browning Feeder Chair. Just been looking at a couple of older threads about it. Very light at 5.5kg but people who had one, didn't recommend it for pole fishing.

Chervil

Site Supporter
thanks
As the landlord said, Browning King Feeder Chair. I don't fish the pole, so don't know if it would work. You could fold the back flat back. The side tray fits under the seat, however if you carried it elsewhere the space under the seat on mine is 30 cm x 42.5 cm x 7 cm deep. there is a recess under the seat, which would make the available depth about 8.5 cm.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
PI boxes have always had a reputation for being heavy. Add a few accessories, fill a few trays, and you're needing a back support and Geoff Capes biceps to lift them :D
I agree - Had an early 'onbox' and didn't last long due to weight, then got suckered again into buying an original Space Station - I could hardly lift it.....

ATTICUS FINCH

The problem with modern boxes is the generic design .
They are all looking very similar these days and weigh heavy whatever you have.
My box is heavy ,but not really much heavier than my old one .My current box is a Daiwa tournament my old one is a six drawer Boss. Both heavy boxes as they hold loads of tackle both only ever get lifted when put in the Volvo estate so not really a problem. Comfort and practicality over weight for me

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The problem with modern boxes is the generic design .
They are all looking very similar these days and weigh heavy whatever you have.
My box is heavy ,but not really much heavier than my old one .My current box is a Daiwa tournament my old one is a six drawer Boss. Both heavy boxes as they hold loads of tackle both only ever get lifted when put in the Volvo estate so not really a problem. Comfort and practicality over weight for me
I’m the same, I choose a box that’s comfortable, practical and can hold all the gear in it I want,there’s no way I would make do , for the sake of the weight..most times it’s from car to peg, parking behind or close, or on a trolley ?‍♂️

ATTICUS FINCH

@ATTICUS FINCH ....The times I've looked at/tried/pondered over modern seat boxes and always come to the same conclusion.....My Boss boxes for me....Never been bettered IMO...
My Boss box is over 25 yrs old and is still as good as the day I bought it .everything original even the cover .the only thing that isn't is the bungey.
Best box ever and I will never sell it as it has too many good memories attached to it .

Keith Sparky

I have taken 2 drawer units off my preston series 5 box and condensed everything in the remaining 2 drawers into all the essentials i need to hand and raised the height of the box slightly to compensate so I my knees are square for pole fishing. I now have some of the tackle I had in the box in eva bags in my 2 smaller carry alls...I still take all my gear and the overall weight of tackle on my shuttle is the same but it's much more evenly spread so my box is much lighter and I don't wrench my back picking it up anymore...

Maverick

Thought one day someone would be carrying me in a bloody big heavy box. Never dreamed I'd end up carrying one myself.

Think I'll rename it the Preston Absolute Coffin. Swear to God the bleeding thing will kill me one of these days.