Bloody big heavy box

Maverick

Site Supporter
When I was looking for a new box a few years ago size and weight weren't top of my shopping list.

I wanted a 30mm round leg with plenty fo draw space for my bombs, feeders, Pellet Wagg floats etc. (Don't do Pole fishing)

I whittled my search down to 2 boxes (Both from youtube videos and reviews on this forum)

I chose the Preston Absolute Black Edition and it is bullet proof and solid as a rock.

However it's footprint is very big and it mauls me now lifting it in and out the car. I even have to remove the footplate every time due to the weight & space it takes up.

My second choice would have been the Matrix 30mm leg box and I wonder if that is any smaller and lighter in weight. Does anyone know the size and weight of one of these? Think it's time to sell the Preston box and get something smaller and less heavy.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
I was the same, had the Matrix S36. Great box and solid, but became far too heavy. I’ve now changed to the MAP 30 Lite. Much easier to lift and is also solid. Just bought the MAP x4 barrow after I sold the Matrix 4 wheel transporter, for the same reason

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
A lot of us are getting to the age where weight and size of beatboxes are now the most important factor.
I think manufactures should now be taking this into consideration.
The first seatbox claiming to be the lightest and most compact will make a killing!

davej1981

One reason why i wont change my old watercraft box. Being a plastic box it’s lightweight and no metal parts to break. No, I can’t get any spares but its lasted 20+ years so cant see id ever need to

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
I went from the Preston absolute White to the inception,even my car was happy at that ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
PI boxes have always had a reputation for being heavy. Add a few accessories, fill a few trays, and you're needing a back support and Geoff Capes biceps to lift them :D

CarpCatcher86

When I was looking for a new box a few years ago size and weight weren't top of my shopping list.

I wanted a 30mm round leg with plenty fo draw space for my bombs, feeders, Pellet Wagg floats etc. (Don't do Pole fishing)

I whittled my search down to 2 boxes (Both from youtube videos and reviews on this forum)

I chose the Preston Absolute Black Edition and it is bullet proof and solid as a rock.

However it's footprint is very big and it mauls me now lifting it in and out the car. I even have to remove the footplate every time due to the weight & space it takes up.

My second choice would have been the Matrix 30mm leg box and I wonder if that is any smaller and lighter in weight. Does anyone know the size and weight of one of these? Think it's time to sell the Preston box and get something smaller and less heavy.
Either use a trolly or swap it for a chair and a carryall. I never saw the point of seat boxes for any type of fishing, apart from the fact that you don't have to carry a seperate tackle bag and seat. It's just a pain that any time you want anything out of it you have to get up. Sounds a bit lazy I know, but you don't want to disturb the fish you have put so much effort in to attracting and feeding.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Either use a trolly or swap it for a chair and a carryall. I never saw the point of seat boxes for any type of fishing, apart from the fact that you don't have to carry a seperate tackle bag and seat. It's just a pain that any time you want anything out of it you have to get up. Sounds a bit lazy I know, but you don't want to disturb the fish you have put so much effort in to attracting and feeding.

You'll find that most people use a trolley in one form or another, It's a question of the effort required lifting some of the heavier boxes out of cars that causes the majority problems. As for there being no point to seat boxes, IMO they are a necessity for anyone that fishes a pole regularly or match fishes whether it is at club or open level.

CarpCatcher86

You'll find that most people use a trolley in one form or another, It's a question of the effort required lifting some of the heavier boxes out of cars that causes the majority problems. As for there being no point to seat boxes, IMO they are a necessity for anyone that fishes a pole regularly or match fishes whether it is at club or open level.
The op said he never fishes the pole, which is why I suggested a chair instead of a heavy box. I also didn't say there was no point to seat boxes, just that I personally have never seen the point of them.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally I have a Garbolino GBC-18 which to me is one of the best boxes I've owned and seen.
They are light enough to carry in and out of the boot, compact enough not to take up all the available space, and has 25mm legs which are more than strong enough to carry my svelt frame ;)

The additional trays come out as one with the ease of pulling one knob, so if weight is a problem they can easily be separated whilst loading and unloading.
Unfortunately, the box has now been discontinued in favour of the 36mm legged range, but you should still find some around if you look

Here's the spec....

CarpCatcher86

People who use them obviously see a point to them but I don't, I have always used a nice comfy reclining chair.
What is so funny about that? I'm sat in padded reclined comfort while your arse is going numb on a rock hard piece of foam.
Not to mention you pull a muscle in your arm or back lifting them in and out of the car or carrying them from car to water.