Bloodworm + squatt fishing.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Any body do bloodworm or sqatt fishing anymore ?
Useing silly sized hooks, like 22's ?

MarkW

I still use 22s regularly for maggots but haven't fished bloodworm or squats for many years. Still got the hooks tied up for them, though, down to 30s.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Used to use 22 or 24 red hooks for bloodworm. 12oz or even 8oz hooklength. Haven't used it since the early 90's though.
Probably couldn't see to tie a size 24 on now!

richox12

B511 and B512 in 22's and 24's. Original Drennan Fine Match in 22's and 24's. Stopped using Ultra Fine Pole (bit too soft)

rudd

Site Supporter
I use mustad wide gape canal seed down to a 26 about once a year when things are really hard using a pinkie or pinkie skin or a breadcrumb ?
Never fished bloodworm but used to use squats, still would if I could get them.

Nicky Dodds

I use mustad wide gape canal seed down to a 26 about once a year when things are really hard using a pinkie or pinkie skin or a breadcrumb ?
Never fished bloodworm but used to use squats, still would if I could get them.
Are you sure it's a wide gape canal seed in a 26?

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Used ingesti down to 24 back in the day and Lion D’Or down to 32 might still have some kicking about.
Don’t think I will be able to see them these days, always surprised me that the bigger stamp roach and skimmers would take a single joker.

rudd

Site Supporter
Are you sure it's a wide gape canal seed in a 26?
Your right, smallest I have are 24's and pretied packs, smallest I have in hook length box only 24 as well in any hook type.
I did have some 26 (cant remember make/type as another member tied us all a few) specifically for one club v club match where I also elasticaed a no 1 section with a no2 elastic and made some micro float rigs using some tiny floats by Image.
The opposition club had a new venue with a new canal type lake freshly stocked with bits.
We were told average stamp was 2 to 4oz fish with a bonus up to 6oz and place rock hard with all fish coming from far side margin.
After all that the match got moved to another venue as even their club struggled and hated the place.
On the day i came 2nd and a club mate first both with bream catches.
Also won my section on the return match at our place.
1575032452920-417266841.jpg

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
26 was smallest and the amazing green gama hooks, used to love my bloodworm fishing but scratching for a few fish in the middle of winter just doesnt appeal anymore lol.

Used to love my squatt fishing as well when bloodworm was banned in matches and fished many many canal matches, wouldnt midn doing a bit of that again but all i have are carp and f1 kits set up lol

The Ginger Bread Man

Yes, match packs for pleasure fishing. Used to scrape my own as a kid from Esholt sewage works. I still have 8 boxes of Tubertini series 1 in 24, 26, 28
And 30 Image Cut floats and 10 Drennan Bloods/Squat

jononcb

Same as Luke above, fished the Div. 2 national this year on the Shropshire union canal.
Made a refreshing change to get back on the canals.
I won the shroppie canal pairs match 2 week before the national with 15-3 of mainly skimmers (114 fished it ?) and had over a kilo in the national.
Tying size 24 hooks again was a shock for my eyes though! ?
Gamakatsu green gamma's are my personal choice small fish hook.
Sign of the times though unfortunately not many tackle shops can get you squatts and pinkie these days!!

Attachments

• 20190901_162537.jpg
    20190901_162537.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 9

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s very rare I go down to a 20 and not sure I’ve ever seen smaller than a 22 and have never used a squat. If you can’t get a bite on a single maggot on a 18 or 20 to a 2lb ish hooklength I’m not sure I want to be there lol