Blood worm and joker fishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reveal13

hey guys and girls, can anyone give me an idea on how to fish bloodworm and joker properly?
What sort of rigs do u use? what elastics and for when and what fish?, what sort of size floats do u use and how do u shot them?

if anyone could help i would be very grateful and buy them a drink at the pub[:D]
im fishing the staffs worcester canal by the navigation pub on sunday in a match with this bait, casters and breadpunch are also allowed along with all other baits (obviously)

thanks people!!!!

Tight T1 line

peter

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Well i have never fished your venue before but it all depends on what fish you expect, what depth the canal and if there is any tow!

but as a simple guideline! you can either feed the joker in leam or groundbait! to seperate joker simple put the joker in a groundbait bowl and add damp leam and work the leam through the jokers until they are seperated, now you can either add grey leam which will allow you to mould a ball of joker or mix your groundbait slightly wetter than you would normally use (damp leam dries the groundbait out!)and then add the joker to the groundbait! how much joker you taking??? if there are a few fish around i would feed 2 thirds of the joker at the start and then i would top up (if you need to!) with joker in damp leam with grey leam, i would never top up with ground bait and also for the top up feed i would add just enough damp leam to the remaining joker so i could form balls that are packed with joker!

as for rigs, a simple bulk rig will do as the fish will be on the bottom but you will need to shot the float correctly so that only a little bit of the bristle is showing, bites can be very small indications! as for float size, elastic etc i will need to know what you are fishing for and the depth of water you are fishing in!

i hope this is a start! B&J fishing is very cheap and very easy!

reveal13

ok, the venue is 2 feet deep at the far bank, and the depth down the track is around 5 feet too, there are two definate ledges, one over at the far shelf and one near the bank.
The fish im aiming for are roach from anywhere between1/2 an ounce to around a pound or so, there are also perch from 1/2 ounce to 2-3 pounds and loads of gudgeon,as well as daddy ruffe. Im taking around a quarter kilo of joker and a mact pack of blood worm, thanks for the info so far

peter

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
well a 1/4 isnt much so i would just feed the far shelf with the joker, possible punch down track or inside or what about chop on the inside for the perch??? for the depth a 4x12 or 4x14 will be fine, just a simple bulk and couple of small droppers and fine wire hook! dont forget to try joker on the hook as well as blood and keep flicking a few casters over the top for the bigger roach later! why arent you taking 1/2kilo??? that would be better i think, roach can eat a lot of feed but its up to you! just make sure you dot the float right down and as always 1 inch of bottom is a very good starting point. One thing is after you have added your joker and leam to your groundbait (if you use groundbait!) if you find you cant mould a ball use a atomiser to dampen the mix but be very careful not to add to much water! I would feed at the bottom of each shelf and then down the track at the start, all depends if the perch are caught on the inside or the track, if the perch keep to the near shelf i would either feed joker or chop and then punch down the track and joker/few casters far shelf, if the perch like the track then it would be punch nearside, joker/chop middle and joker/caster far shelf.

Any more questions? more the merrier!

reveal13

great info, thanks a lot!!!

ok, what sort of elasic should i use, for the joker over the far shelf? the fish average an ounce or so, with a good head of roach between 4 and 10 oz (caster and hemp roach) the perch down the track would see a 5 laccy through the top three, (loads of elastic allows me to land big perch, bream, tench and chub)

what sort of hook size do you reckon i should use, and what make?

what pattern of float do you prefer, or reccomend?

Do you use styles? (i use them alot for canal fishing)

thanks for the info, do you fish the b&j frequently then? and where?

peter

reveal13

oh yeah almost forgot, what sort of leam should i use and what colour or additves should i put into it?
What about groundbait? (normally these fish in this canal dont really respond to it! not even the gudgeon!!!!)
The fish love the caster and the chopped worm,(so do the carp that are in there, and there are a fair few as well)

peter

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Well i use sensas Damp leam, it is fairly dark but if the canal is clear you can buy colour additives to add to it, isensas grey leam is dry and comes in 1kg packs also you can use the new sensas 'joker fix' which are coloured and have different binding qualities. If the canal is flowing you could use sensas 'terre de riviere' which is a much heavier leam. If you buy match fishing look on page 44 - 46 of this months issue to find out how the "pro's" do it! If the fish dont respond to groundbait then dont btoehr with it! just use leam by itself! if you feed chop and caster accross to a feature for the carp keep it well clear of any roach line you have fed, any chance you can get a practice with the B&J first?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
I dont use styles, i have never found any benefits to them, i would say a 3 laccy would be fine for the punch and maybe a 2 or 3 laccy for the B&J, for the punch a size 22 mustard wide gape canal seed hook is a good starting point, for the B&J i would start on a size 22 drennan ultra fine, i prefere using longish hooks as its easier to unhook the fish

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Any flaot patter that is has a thin brisle will be fine, i like trabbuco foats for B&J fishing and i like PI Chianti for my punch and squatt fishing

reveal13

yeah there is a chance that if i go tomorrow il be able to practice!!
lol or try to at least!

thanks for the great info most apprieciated!

tight T1 lines

peter

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Good luck peter, i wont be logging back on until monday but let me know how you get on ok!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peter,
There is an article by Stu Conroy in the latest Advanced Pole Fishing (Jan/Feb 2003)
on Bloodworm & Joker fishing on canals.
Might be worth a read.[;)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.