Blankety (Rod) Blank

rudd

Site Supporter
Dave Harrell has sent me an answer - Thank you Dave.

'Hi , The MAP Matchtek and Carptek Rods were built in China and had no link to Normark or Harrison.
They were very good rods at time and still are some of the best blanks I have used.'

Still none the wiser as to blank make - all I know is that fittings are Fuji.

Some of the best blanks I have used.
Rods 'built' in China.

This could be interpreted in many ways! ?

david white

Site Supporter
Fair play Dave Harrell

genuine question
will Dave Harrell’s reply now be forwarded on to the seller who has mis - advertised the rod as quoted in the first post

mind you the last time I looked it hadn’t sold kind of speaks volumes

So can we assume from this thread that
not all the best rods were made on Japanese blanks ( certainly not in Mr Harrell’s opinion but he may be a tad bias having put his name to something ? )
that rods built on said Japanese blanks which have a cult following are ‘ over priced ‘

to be honest any rod ( or in reality any THING ) is only worth what the buyer is prepared to pay for it to own it

Ben1975

The MAP rod is definitely a different rod/blank than the Carbotec rods as I have both in my garage and after seeing seeing the ebay advert, I compared them by threading line between them and bending them apart. My MAP rod is the original one and the same one in the advert which I have had for many years. I actually won it in a competition. I own many Carbotec rods which I have collected over the years, and was always led to believe they stopped manufacturing them because the quality of carbon used became too expensive to continue making fishing rods. The rod blanks where manufactured in Japan, but all the rods where hand build in the UK and they had to be ordered. I am not sure if anyone remembers, but Exeter Angling Centre used to tie a 1kg weight on the end of the float rods, and you would lift the weight off the floor of the shop, only for the shop assistant to start yanking at the weight to show the 'parabolic' action. They are like the original Normark 2000 series rods, but super tough and I have never broken one in 25+ years of competition fishing every week, and I have won festivals in Ireland, etc and don't really look after gear. The only thing that used to break are the fine solid carbon quiver tips.
Also, the Preston rods are not the same, I fished for one of the Preston teams for many years, and we used get the rods for about £50 each from memory. I still have a few of them, and they are miles away from Normark/Carbotec rods, and that probably reflects in the price.
I believe the best rods on the market today are the Daiwa range, but a modern cheaper rod will catch just as many fish on most days in the right hands.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Mick the top of the range premium game fishing blanks, are made in South Korea, Hardy Zephrus, the original Loop Cross and Marryat Tactical Pro or in the USA, Winston, Sage, Orvis and Scott.

Their mid range rods depending on the company are generally made in China with some assembled in USA.

I'm not aware of any of the main models being made anywhere else.

I was always led to believe the original MAP range were made by Harrisons until they switched production to China. If they had been made on premium Normark blanks I would have thought that it would have been very well publicised within the public domain.

Bens post about the Carbotecs and the carbon becoming too expensive is as far as I am aware reasonably accurate.

The Carbotec blanks were to the best of my knowledge copied by several manufacturers ;)

nejohn

Site Supporter
Mick the top of the range premium game fishing blanks, are made in South Korea, Hardy Zephrus, the original Loop Cross and Marryat Tactical Pro or in the USA, Winston, Sage, Orvis and Scott.

Their mid range rods depending on the company are generally made in China with some assembled in USA.

I'm not aware of any of the main models being made anywhere else.

I was always led to believe the original MAP range were made by Harrisons until they switched production to China. If they had been made on premium Normark blanks I would have thought that it would have been very well publicised within the public domain.

Bens post about the Carbotecs and the carbon becoming too expensive is as far as I am aware reasonably accurate.

The Carbotec blanks were to the best of my knowledge copied by several manufacturers ;)
Some of the top end Rive rods are made on Japanese manufactured blanks but they are becoming increasingly rare as the hi-tec cloths and resins they are made from have other uses that can demand a higher retail price than fishing rods will achieve so the bulk of the materials are directed to the most profitable markets.
But it is worth hunting out either a float or feeder rod as they are very good indeed

Ben1975

Shimano make most of their rods in Japan, but they are concentrating on the lure/sea fishing market, and seem to have turned away from competition fishing. Most rods are now manufactured in China or Korea and are of good quality and value.
in recent years I don’t think rods have been made from such good materials as the Carbotec rods as they are so strong and hard to break, but beautiful light rods to fish with. From memory, during manufacture the blanks where tapered in 9 places to obtain the perfect action, and they never had any flat spots, but they cost the same price as the current top of the range rods, but 25 years ago. The float rods where £425, and the feeder rod system (11ft,12ft and 13ft butts with 6 tips) coat £840, with a waiting list.
Shimano has just introduced a new fly rod in conjunction with loomis called an Asquith which are £1100+ for a 9ft fly rod. They are supposed to be amazing and the best fly rods on the market, so maybe they are of similar quality. The blanks are make in Japan, and hand built in the USA if I am correct.