Blankety (Rod) Blank

rudd

Site Supporter
My favourite waggler rod ((Original Dave Harrell) MAP Parabolix special edition 13ft) bought a new one a few years back that a shop found at back of a shelf for around £80
All ready had a few and always thought these were made on Harrison blanks until today, this one up for sale (how much!) says the blanks are Normark fast play anti lock parabolic blanks (same as titans or microlites?)
Anyone know more details or anything about the Normark blanks?

These are rare to find any where and this is the most expensive yet!

Sam Vimes

I wonder if there isn't a bit of muddling going on, Fastplay was a name used by Carbotec, not Normark. I've no idea whether that MAP rod uses either Normark or Carbotec blanks, though it's the first time I've heard it suggested. The rod doesn't look too dissimilar to a later Normark or a Carbotec. It's not especially unusual to here mutterings about rods other than Normark and Carbotec featuring Diamura sourced blanks though.

I'm not especially familiar with the MAP rods. However, I was always lead to believe that some of the earliest incarnations of the Dave Harrell rods were made on Harrison or Tri-Cast blanks.

P.S. That particular eBay seller does tend to be rather expensive.

rudd

Site Supporter
I wonder if there isn't a bit of muddling going on, Fastplay was a name used by Carbotec, not Normark. I've no idea whether that MAP rod uses either Normark or Carbotec blanks, though it's the first time I've heard it suggested. The rod doesn't look too dissimilar to a later Normark or a Carbotec. It's not especially unusual to here mutterings about rods other than Normark and Carbotec featuring Diamura sourced blanks though.

I'm not especially familiar with the MAP rods. However, I was always lead to believe that some of the earliest incarnations of the Dave Harrell rods were made on Harrison or Tri-Cast blanks.

P.S. That particular eBay seller does tend to be rather expensive.
I have spoken to them and they are adamant they are Normark blanks and were told this by MAP.
The Dave Harrell special edition MAP Parabolix were possibly the last of the Dave Harrell range but first of the Parabolix range - Now into the Black Edition!
All fittings are Fuji, there were three models, Feeder, Matchtek 13ft and Carptek 13 ft.

I have emailed Mr Harrell to see if he knows 😉

nejohn

Site Supporter
As Chris says above Normark and Fastplay are not 2 things that go together, not saying they do not use the same blanks as either a Normark or a CarboTec but which one? There were lots of rumours around that time about other rods built on Diamura blanks, the most prevalent being the top range Milo New era's, but I can not recall any about the Dave Harrell rods being built on Diamura blanks, the general opinion was that they were on either Harrison or Tri-cast blanks. I have seen a few items from that seller that have been A) very expensive and B) not particularly accurately described. It would be very interesting to see what Mr Harrell has to say on the matter

david white

Site Supporter
In answer to the original question I don’t know !!
But if Geoff Salisbury and Normark had spent so much time sourcing the diamura blank and guided by Omar Thomas along with extensive field testing by Exeter Angling match squad WHY would another reputable manufacturer MAP ( midland Angling products essentially fronted by Dave Harrell ) find it necessary to discard one of the butt rod rings and one from the top section ? I’m certainly no expert but my belief is that rod rings are positioned to accentuate the curve in the blank when under load

trotter2

I had one of those rods mine was a 15ft , I was not totally blown away with it . Sold it on soon after.

rudd

Site Supporter
I had one of those rods mine was a 15ft , I was not totally blown away with it . Sold it on soon after.
They did not make a special edition 15ft, only two 13ft waggler and one feeder models.
The next follow on models were half the price made on completely different blanks.
I think thats when Leeda/H Young holdings completely bought out the MAP brands.

Out of interest could you send a picture of graphics? or advise whole model name?

rudd

Site Supporter
As Chris says above Normark and Fastplay are not 2 things that go together, not saying they do not use the same blanks as either a Normark or a CarboTec but which one? There were lots of rumours around that time about other rods built on Diamura blanks, the most prevalent being the top range Milo New era's, but I can not recall any about the Dave Harrell rods being built on Diamura blanks, the general opinion was that they were on either Harrison or Tri-cast blanks. I have seen a few items from that seller that have been A) very expensive and B) not particularly accurately described. It would be very interesting to see what Mr Harrell has to say on the matter
Still no reply from Mr Harrell.
The rod did not sell and has been relisted at £175.00 - Whilst Very nice rods cannot see it selling.
Last one I saw on ebay £50 collection only - Stoke
Bought a brand spanking one with labels on a few years back for £80 (rare find 😀)

rudd

Site Supporter
In answer to the original question I don’t know !!
But if Geoff Salisbury and Normark had spent so much time sourcing the diamura blank and guided by Omar Thomas along with extensive field testing by Exeter Angling match squad WHY would another reputable manufacturer MAP ( midland Angling products essentially fronted by Dave Harrell ) find it necessary to discard one of the butt rod rings and one from the top section ? I’m certainly no expert but my belief is that rod rings are positioned to accentuate the curve in the blank when under load
You raise a valid point but we dont know if blanks are the same - also two rod designers/builders are only human and consequently may have a difference of opinion!
I presume you counted eyes on picture of MAP rod? Do you own a Normark? If so which model?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I do believe that an early preston rod was made on a diamura blank,

cant remember at this moment what it was but will have a look later

trotter2

They did not make a special edition 15ft, only two 13ft waggler and one feeder models.
The next follow on models were half the price made on completely different blanks.

Out of interest could you send a picture of graphics? or advise whole model name?
I have not got it anymore Rudd sold it sorry.

rudd

Site Supporter
Japanese blanks made from top quality carbon/resin are still available.
Trouble is they are uber expensive and Chinese made blanks are much cheaper.
Components, expensive (made) in Japan, cheap in China.
Then the rod needs building, again expensive in Japan, cheap in China.
If you send components from Japan to China for a rod build - import taxes and freight - expensive.
And you then have freight and taxes from Far East into UK/EU.

A £300 RRP rod 20 years ago is going to cost around £530.00 today!

adriang

Site Supporter
Not sure if this is useful info or not, but my mate has a pair of the original DH 13ft rods, if there were 2 models, not sure which one.

I've got the 15ft version (matchtek?, I am certain it has Leeda on it somewhere), its a 13ft with a 2ft section. Totally different rods, the original ones are more tippy and feel. 'finer'.

I couldn't compare like for like, as I didn't have it with my, but it was close to my Microlite (but I don't think quite as tippy).

BTW, the Mach 2 Borons are labeled 'Made in Japan', I know these were Dave's go to rods in the day.. wonder if that was his starting point for blanks..

david white

Site Supporter
You raise a valid point but we dont know if blanks are the same - also two rod designers/builders are only human and consequently may have a difference of opinion!
I presume you counted eyes on picture of MAP rod? Do you own a Normark? If so which model?
fwiw
I’ve owned ( bought and used ) ( bought to sell on ) ( bought just to have a look at ) virtually every incarnation of Normark float rods including Rapala Normark Microlight Titan and Avenger through to the Masterline mk11 versions ( with the 1 foot extension )
I still use a 12 ft 2000 microlight and a 13 ft 2000 Titan there are a few rods I wish I’d kept but I had no income for a long period and ‘ needs must ‘ I sold a load on
any questions I’ll try to answer

solwood

Site Supporter
The Map Dave Harrel spliced tip is on the Harrison GTi blank, I have both !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Japanese blanks made from top quality carbon/resin are still available.
Trouble is they are uber expensive and Chinese made blanks are much cheaper.
Components, expensive (made) in Japan, cheap in China.
Then the rod needs building, again expensive in Japan, cheap in China.
If you send components from Japan to China for a rod build - import taxes and freight - expensive.
And you then have freight and taxes from Far East into UK/EU.

A £300 RRP rod 20 years ago is going to cost around £530.00 today!

you might find the the majority of the higher class carbon blanks produced in japan are now almost exclusively used for the game fishing market,