Blankety-Blank

Simon R

Site Supporter
But no chegue book and pen

Our latest match was the annual Pike Cup – I’d actually brought this forward from February to hopefully experience better sport due to more active fish and to avoid the possibility of the lake being frozen – as it was earlier this year.

The venue was Grange Farm Pond near Thirsk, we’d a couple of normal matches there earlier in the summer and last seasons pike match too.

2019-10-06_00021.jpg

2019-10-06_00022.jpg

The forecast for Sunday was appalling – normally you can find one weather website that will offer some crumbs of comfort but they were all in agreement – it was gonna pour down all night and all day with a brief respite late afternoon. Unsurprisingly the numbers dwindled and just Kev, Steve and myself turned up. On the drive down I was expecting to see blokes with long, white beards, constructing boats in the fields but the rain actually eased off and had virtually stopped by 9am – the rest of the day saw just drizzle and the incessant dripping of the trees

2019-10-06_00023.jpg

2019-10-06_00024.jpg
Despite the improved weather I never had a bite or indication all day. Numerous different deadbaits, presented in numerous different ways and a dozen different lures flung to all points of the compass without as much as a follow. It was similar story two pegs along where Kev was sat – between us Steve did have a single run on his lamprey bait but struck into thin air.

2019-10-06_00020.jpg

Next match we should be at Cundall on the Swale on October 20th - that’s if this rain ever stops.

Simon

Stealth

Ironic really Simon, as getting "piked" can be a regular occurrence when fishing there for silvers. I should have ignored the weather forecast & had a ride down.

Simon R

Site Supporter
There was one guy fishing on the road side who had a few silvers - couldn't see him clearly from where I was but did hear the splashes and saw him get a couple of nice skimmers.

Simon