BIVVIE BOYS AND THE CLICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada

brummie
spoke to a guy at work today and felt i had to share this with you the guy was a regular at a famous lake
during his time there he spent hours perfecting his baits and methods to the point where he enjoyed 40 plus fish in one session and held numerous lake records for both common and mirror carp
due to his sucess people were actually fishing next to him to see what he was doing,numerous gossip was said about him mostly untrue which resulted in him being ignored by other carpers
one day while fishing a carper came and befriended him and they spoke about fishing in general they had a cup of tea and he said they seem to share an intrest in angling and after about an hour the guy said goodbye and he carried on fishing.
20 minites later the guy appeared and held a rig up and said "ha this is how you are catching them isnt it"
he packed up sold His gear and gave up one of the most sought after fishing tickets in england and has not fished since which is over 10 years ago
THE REASON HE GAVE UP HIS HOBBIE WAS BECAUSE NO ONE ASKED HIM HOW HE WAS GETTING ALL OF HIS SUCCESS
BLANKED BY ANGLERS WHO SPOKE TO HIM WHEN HE FIRST STRUGGLED ON THE LAKE
IN HIS WORDS CARPERS WOULD SOONER SLAG HIM OFF THAN ADMIT HE WAS A GOOD AND DEDICATED ANGLER WHO PUT THE EFFORT IN and ask advice
i have not give his name or the venue as he no longer fishes i feel this would be unfair
match fishermen get a lot of stick for being in the "click"
but it happens throughout our sport DISGRACEFULL [V]

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Sad to hear he gave it all up, but personally I would have just moved to a different water.

ada

brummie
the guy is one of the most approachable nicest guys i know in ten years of knowing him he has not said a bad word about anyone,in his words it took hin 10 years to get a ticket for the syndicate and he had no intention of fishing anywhere else it done his head in

acko

It goes on a lot on the match circuit around here i'm afraid.Never bothered me.Sad people leading sad lives. asshole2.gif

ada

brummie
totally agree acko you also need a lot of spare time and money to be in the click

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Unfortunately, many anglers are reluctant to ask others for advice, and if they do they are often reluctant to believe the sdvice given.[:(]
I spent a day at Old Bury Hill recently. I could see about 20 anglers from my peg. All were sitting behind matched rods and baitrunners on rod pods while I fished the pole.
I can almost guarentee that the majority of them viewed me as a 'Match Angler' as I sat there fishing with my pole, however I wasn't there to fish a match, or even to practice for one, I was just there to enjoy a days fishing for the Bream that inhabit the lake.[:)]

During the day I only saw 2 of those anglers land 5 carp between them, 4 of those to the angler in the next swim who admitted to me that he was a self confessed pleasure angler on only his 4th trip of the year.

I had 4 carp myself (all doubles) and 17 bream during the day. While I was playing the 3rd of the Carp one of the anglers walked round and stood behind me while I landed it. After I had returned the fish he asked me what I'd caught it on and I showed him the rig and the expander pellets that I had used. Despite the fact that he had watched me land the fish he told me that I couldn't have possibly used the rig that I showed him to catch the fish!!!!!!!! Did he think that I had palmed a complete top kit while he watched and replaced it with another???? Anyway he just turned on his heel and walked off with the huff.

There's nowt so queer as folk.[:D]

Bill G

Grandad
pete do alot of people just turn on there heels when you talk to them [:D]

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Is this another one of them "those Carpers blah blah blah" threads..LOL

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Enigma

Is this another one of them "those Carpers blah blah blah" threads..LOL

Not at all, it's more about how we perceive our fellow anglers.

Sit a chap behind a rod pod and most will label him as a 'carper'
while a person fishing with a pole will in all probability be labeled as a 'Matchman' and a lot of pleasure anglers will be labeled as 'Numpties' by those that consider themselves Serious about their fishing.

However they all have one thing in common..... they are all ANGLERS.
While some consider Angling to be a sport, to the vast majority it is nothing more than a hobby or pastime.
Whatever view people subscribe to the main thing should be to ENJOY IT.[;)]

big stoo

hello
However they all have one thing in common..... they are all ANGLERS.
While some consider Angling to be a sport, to the vast majority it is nothing more than a hobby or pastime.
Whatever view people subscribe to the main thing should be to ENJOY IT.

well said, that paragrath should be saved and used everytime a match vs carper vs pleasure vs whoever thread starts

mark bradley

i had some right stick of the bivvy boys on a certain barbel site about me catching a 16lb 5oz barbel when fishing collingham weir on a pleasure day with my uncle they where saying that i did not have the right gear for the river and i was not bothered about the well fair of the fish but yet the never offered any help to me i have fished trent for hell of a lot of years before they all turned up down there and it just makes me sad to think it got like thatdown there. im a matchman and if anyone asked me what i was catching on i would say i think some people take it to serious and you loose the enjoyment of it all :eek:).

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Persoanlly I can't get my head around is why everyone gets so upset with what the other person is doing.......can't we all just be friends and have a pop at the anti mob

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
What it boils down to is that there are good and bad eggs in every walk of fishing.

If you dont ask advice, you will never know if the person sat next to you is a good' un or a bad' un.

Even in match situations, I have asked the guy next to me what he's doing to bag up, while Im sat doing nothing!(something that happens on most occasions for me lol)

Most will gladly tell you what hookbait they are using, but I wouldnt pry too much, for obvious money reasons. :)

I can relate to Peters tale too.

Me and a mate were fishing a small pond a few weeks back, on the pellet wag (something thats not really been used on this pond very much), and were baggin'.

3 young lads with the usual alarms, heavy rods and big baits, came and set up next to us.

I wasnt overly impressed with the way they conducted themselves(swearing, smoking dope, shouting at each other across the lake etc), but when one of them came over and asked me what I was doing, I still gave him the time to show him the simplicity of the pellet wag set up, how to feed, etc......

He then asked me if he could "borrow" some of my hooker pellets, so I gave him a small tub full.

He was happy, I was happy that they d quietened down, but one of his mates said "F*** off!, he s not using them tiny things, you need boilies to catch carp!"

Oh dear......

micklen

He was happy, I was happy that they d quietened down, but one of his mates said "F*** off!, he s not using them tiny things, you need boilies to catch carp!"
Ridiculous preconceptions that are rife throughout angling error.gif

"You can't catch those roach on 10mm pellets, you gotta have a single pinkie on a 24" [:p]
" Oh yes, you gotta have Big Fish Monster Magnet 12mm boilies with triple betaine and a touch of pheremone of a female ghost carp here. They won't touch nuffin else" [:eek:)]

IMHO angling is a constant learning curve and if I see someone doing better than me I go and have a chat with them
If they don't wish to share information fine, that is their perogative
However I have found the vast majority are happy to tell you their bait, rig depth, type of rig etc and good luck to them
We have enough anti's in this world without working against each other [V]

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by micklen

]

"You can't catch those roach on 10mm pellets, you gotta have a single pinkie on a 24" [:p]

Sounds a bit like my match last week[;)]

I was after "bits" because I wasnt getting anything else, then ended up winning with 48 lb of carp on single red maggot on my top 2!![:I][:0]

n/a26

deleted
it happend to me a few weeks ago at a place called charirty farm in wrightington, i was fishing the match lake and a guy at the side of me decided to set up 3 rods? the pond was packed out, i was just fishing about 8 meters on the pole, and this guy in the next peg to me was casting within a foot of my pole tip with a bomb around 2oz? and was the same on the other side of his peg, he even told me to move my pole then he could get a good cast? [:(!], i was fuming after 2hours of him fireing bait at the end of my pole, i had enough, then his mate turned up and fished tho other side of me again with 3 rods. the same abuse came from him for another hour? then the final straw was the guy to my left hit in to a carp and it run streight in to the top of my pole and screwed up my rig, so i packed up and left before i took it further. i told the bailif and he did nothing. this is not a dig at carpers as i do abit my self, but it bugs me when you get people dont use common sense when clearly the pond was busy. all the bailif said was thay paid for there rod theres nothing he could do? and i have never been back since, very reluctant to go back.

quivertip

phil
understandable raven, there are nobheads in all forms of angling and it is these that give that branch a bad name, we've had problems on the club with people blocking access with their poles and stuff, it is a public right of way and some of the anglers have had a go at joe public for having the audacity to walk along the path and they have to move their gear, complaints have been made and if they carry on as they are doing they could lose the water for the sake of a few nobs..
i got fed up with the puddles and lack of room, crossed lines etc, it done my head in, i rarely fish them now and prefer the river where i have all the room i need with good fishing to boot, not so convenient i know but much better than all the hassle and ruining a good days fishing...

ada

brummie
after speaking to the guy today ill name the venue,it was the legendary horeshoe lake no wonder he did not want to fish anywhere else

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
While I can admire his dedication to fishing one venue to try to crack it, I cant help wondering.....did he not know that there are plenty of other places to fish in this country?

There are waters that I love to fish, but isnt variety the spice of life?

Sorry but I just cant get my head around the fact that because he felt uncomfortable at ONE particular lake, he gave up his obvious love of fishing.

Are you sure there wasnt more to it?

Thats like never getting behind the wheel of another car, just because your old one broke down.....

Or never getting another job, because you were made redundant.

Still, its a shame.

He must have been very much in love with those fish.

Perhaps you should offer to take him out for a day, to see if the spark is still there?[:)]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.