Bites Galore On Commercial Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So was back out on the bank today taking advantage of the lovely weather this time on field farm fishery. When it was a standard day ticket venue I fished it very regularly over a 10 year period but today was my first session on it in the 4 years since it turned to members only. I hadn’t bothered joining in recent years as I don’t often fish commercials anymore but with quite a lot of free time still at the moment due to the still semi lockdown conditions I thought it worth it this year. It’s quite a nice looking place as it’s pretty big for a commercial and whilst the fishing is far from challenging to put it mildly (it’s solid with fish) there are some nice fish in it.

Fished from about 9 until about 4 and it was hectic sport to say the least. Must have averaged over a couple dozen fish an hour and that was when missing half as many again through struggling to keep up! Definitely had over 100 roach, maybe 50 Rudd, probably 15 skimmers, 3 carp, 1 goldfish and 1 hybrid. Unfortunately about 2/3 of the silvers were very small so probably only totalled a little over 10lb but the other 1/3 of them were a better stamp good enough to bring well over 10lb so I’d say the total silvers weight would have only been a couple pounds shy of the 25lb mark. Throw the carp, goldfish and hybrid in and I’d have probably only been a couple pound shy of 30lb all in so a good bag in my book. There was way more very small fish than I’d normally tolerate but the sheer amount of fish meant there was still enough better fish to fill a session most places so it was really enjoyable. The better roach were quite heavy for their size so I’d imagine spawning will happen very soon especially as the water temperature got the 12 degree mark in the margins. Could have probably caught another 10lb if I’d fished shorter so could have been more efficient but after fishing essentially a pond and a narrow canal was far this year I took advantage of being on a bigger lake and fishing the waggler further out. I did have a few fish at about 5m but mostly fished too spots and about 10m and 15m just moving between them as the bites dictated.

Tackle was the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod with the drennan 7 series 300 float reel getting a run out today loaded with 3lb maxima. Out of habit I used the same 1g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler that I have been recently but given the bigger water and a light but all over the place breeze that blew up after lunch I should have gone up to 1.5g really. Then had a size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon all set up to fish on the drop to dead depth in about 3.5ft of water. Hook bait was single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots, nothing more complicated than that as didn’t bother groundbait simply as haven’t there in the past and thought I’d save my pellets for when it warms up a bit more next weekend.

My grandad was back with me today and whilst he fished with a more minimal effort approach as he tends to on commercials these days the sheer amount of fish in the place meant he still had plenty. Probably at least 2/3 as many as I had with a similar split species and size wise so probably had about 20lb.

All in all an interesting and enjoyable day on what is quite a nostalgic venue for me. Probably my favourite session of the year so far tbh for various reasons. Glad I went back there and think I will again next weekend.

Few pics of the swim, a few roach that represent the stamp of the the better 1/3 of the silvers, the goldfish and the hybrid that looks like a mix of Rudd, Bream and Roach if that’s possible.
1618763989661.jpeg
1618764030517.jpeg
1618764045294.jpeg
1618764066688.jpeg

1618764104137.jpeg
1618764113276.jpeg

1618764141708.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Better than my day then. Blanked on a commercial.
Yep about as far from blanking as possible today. Was so busy I worked up a sweat for the first time this year and was plastered in slime! Not much skill required tbh as it was solid with fish. Just a case of doing roughly the right thing and finding a groove of casting, catapulting, striking, winding 😅

david white

Site Supporter
Yep about as far from blanking as possible today. Was so busy I worked up a sweat for the first time this year and was plastered in slime! Not much skill required tbh as it was solid with fish. Just a case of doing roughly the right thing and finding a groove of casting, catapulting, striking, winding 😅
Hi
We have a similar pond near us which I love fishing in the winter ( we know what rivers are often like at that time of the year ! ) but once the weather warms the water up there’s just too many fish active
But
I feed a close in swim for a few hours with just a decent amount of hemp every 20 mins or so then I’ll start to put a dozen or so grains in every couple of minutes for half an hour. before I try it, number of times I get a far better stamp of roach ( on tares ) means I must be doing something right

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hi
We have a similar pond near us which I love fishing in the winter ( we know what rivers are often like at that time of the year ! ) but once the weather warms the water up there’s just too many fish active
But
I feed a close in swim for a few hours with just a decent amount of hemp every 20 mins or so then I’ll start to put a dozen or so grains in every couple of minutes for half an hour. before I try it, number of times I get a far better stamp of roach ( on tares ) means I must be doing something right
Yeah I’ve rarely fished this place outside of the closed season save when taking non fishing friends as it’s just nuts in high summer for all species. Just silly easy then, at least had to concentrate today whereas come mid June it’s just a case of getting a bait in the water! It’s shut in the winter weirdly opens start of March closes end of November. Come May when you’re past that roach spawn you can generally get a better one for every smaller one so it’s alright then. Hemp is banned there but casters and expanders can pick out the better fish. You just get a lot more carp on the latter.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Yeah I’ve rarely fished this place outside of the closed season save when taking non fishing friends as it’s just nuts in high summer for all species. Just silly easy then, at least had to concentrate today whereas come mid June it’s just a case of getting a bait in the water! It’s shut in the winter weirdly opens start of March closes end of November. Come May when you’re past that roach spawn you can generally get a better one for every smaller one so it’s alright then. Hemp is banned there but casters and expanders can pick out the better fish. You just get a lot more carp on the latter.
I think I know this place just from your description. It’s like hook a duck in the summer from what I’ve heard.

Sounds like a very productive session with a nice mixed bag - well done bud. Are the last 2 pics of the goldfish and hybrid or is that a koi?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think I know this place just from your description. It’s like hook a duck in the summer from what I’ve heard.

Sounds like a very productive session with a nice mixed bag - well done bud. Are the last 2 pics of the goldfish and hybrid or is that a koi?
Yeah it’s obscene in the summer. Can catch tens of carp let alone hundreds of silvers. Even today the bailiff said he once had 87 carp in a session from it which I can fully believe as I’ve done around half that a few times.

But yeah was a very nice session. Not something I’d make a habit of doing as a bit too easy with too many small fish but was nice to fish the waggler more in the style it’s designed for than recently and did get plenty of nice fish as well amongst the small ones.

I think it was just a goldfish rather than a koi, they were quite common back in the day there but not my area of expertise. The hybrid certainly seemed to have very mixed parentage 👍🏻

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sometimes when you’ve had a few difficult sessions, seeing the float go under is a good confidence booster ,
Yeah totally agree today was very much needed 👍🏻

Have had some gruelers on the canal recently for example, less fish in a session than I was getting in an hour today. Some nice fish admittedly with pound plus roach, hybrids and perch, even fair bit bigger with the latter, but they were few and far between.