Bite indication

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fishing on paste and pellet on my local water ( Bannister Farm )
and i was getting dead dodgy bites on paste and pellet. When is the best time to strike cause im waitin for abt an hour for the positive take, they keep bobbin me float then the paste goes. Im only connectin every now and then. Help me out lads.

Jon

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Jon,

If you're just getting a knock on the float and nothing follows try sriking straight away, the chances are the fish are sucking the paste in and blowing it back out which coud knock it off the hook as you are finding.
Experiment with hook sizes as well and try to use the largest one that you can bury in the paste.

Dave

MALC

A couple of other tricks to try when useing Pellet n Paste are as follows;

TIP 1
Always use the softest Paste you can get away with.

TIP 2
On the Pole use as short a line between pole tip and float no more than 6 inches then strike at any movement you'll miss a few bite's but you will also be feeding the paste as you strike it off.

TIP 3
Use no shot on the line and use the Paste as your weight to cock the float (need to fish at dead depth) normaly you'll get your float suddenly shoot up.

TIP 4
Use a realy heavy float (by heavy i mean 3grm plus) with your bulk shot 12 to 18 inches from the hook and again fish at dead depth.

Hopefully some of the above may help you.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com and take s from Dirk

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
And another icon_smile.gif

TIP 5

When shipping out your pole you may find that the paste bounces off the hook. To stop this get a small cable tie and put it around your pole roughly 6inches towards the tip from where your hook reaches when laid alongside it. Pull the tie to nip it and then cut off all be 1 inch of excess.
Place your hook length over this when shipping out. Once out twist your pole and the rig will fall into the water with paste intact icon_smile.gif

Dave

yeah i was striking on little bites and i was hookin them sometimes but most of the time id miss. When i put the paste on i always forget to take the weight off so my float was touchin surface. It kept rising dead high id strike but nothin there. I ll try usin bigger hook. AND try strikin at different times to see if i can find what movement the float does when its in their mouths. Ill keep experementing because experementing equals success,Thanks fo the advice m8s ill read replys tommorow. School in mornin. DAMN IT lol. How i hate school ( especially SCIENCE )

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

Polepot

Poles
I fish at a fishery called Browning Tingrith and the fish are very shy biting on occasions.

I have found that Malcs suggestion if it moves react is true - but gently not strike.Simply lift I do not know why but the gentler approach seams to work.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Malc,

Surely tip 3 and 4 contradict each other.3 says use the paste to cock the float.4 says use a bulk of shot 18 inches from the hook????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

now i am confused.

MALC

Top marks Keith wondered if anyone would pick up on that,

Some times i've found that to use the weight of the Paste to cock the float will give a more positive bite and at other time's using a large bulk will give a better bite.

Example is Drayton in any of the swims that are over 3ft deep on your paste line a large bulk (2grm plus) give's a better hook to bite ratio than just using the paste,
BUT in the shallow swims you'll hook more with just the paste rather using a bulk of shot.

It's just a case of trying each option and seeing which works better.

Don't you just love simple Pellet n Paste fishing

Malc

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Malc,

Its getting a little bit clearer now.

do you undershot the pole float when using a bulk or do you set it so its correct before adding the paste.obviously if undershotting then the paste needs to be roughly the same size each put in to stop sinking the float.

Keith.

MALC

Keith,

Just to confuse you more
i go both ways depending on the paste i'm useing as some of my paste's will fall off the hook in less than a minute so with these i tend to under shot the float then as the paste dissolves the tip rises out of the water.

But if a lot of fish are in the swim and i'm suffering line bites i tend to set the float with just a dimple out of the water then when the float goes under i'll wait for X amount of time before striking.

Malc

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Malc,

I think i will keep perserveering with the bulk shot set 18in away and putting it about 1 to 2in overdepth to allow for the bottom.Every peg i get seems to be uneven and sometimes i have to lift it closer in to get the pole tip to settle properly.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.