Bite detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruddy Roach

Hi everyone!

What are the best ways of stillwater-legering bite detection apart from electronic alarms for carp,bream etc.?

Andy

Chopper

Got to be a common quivertip in most situations.

If your expecting reasonable carp then use a 'slider rest' so you don't get your rod dragged in or cracked off on the bite.

If your expecting big carp then it's got to be the bait runner reel, monkey climber and optonic alarm.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

crusty

Hi Ruddy, [:D]
The best form of bite detection for bream and carp is a bobbin.
I've used them for donkeys years, my favourite is a washing-up bottle top that my dad used to use, (you can't get 'em now, different design.)[V] i've got 'em out of cork and pegs, and don't forget the good old, time honoured, cheap but 100% accurate, dough bobbin!

works best with a running ledger, cast out, put rod in rests pointing directly at where your fishing, tighten up, clip the bobbin on after the first eye or more, and then pull it down to a foot-two foot by taking line off the reel or any remaining slack.

carp take it up in one quick movement and bream take it up in two or three.
It works for me.

Sometimes you don't need to spend loads of money to get the job done.
And personally I think alarms are for folk who can't be a**** fishing.[:0]

crusty

MrC

In Ireland i use the "Side Winder" its a type of quiver that acts as a but indicator, its absalutley Brilliant.!! especially when its windy you aim your rod at your bait so your fishing direct to it which aids in hitting a bite and indication. It comes in 3 different types (just like normal quivers do) small for delicate bites and 2 mediums for the windy days.. Its not soo good if your fishing for carp, because you will end up picking up the rod at every line bite when you have a lot of active carp in your swim.Mal

martin.

Account Locked
if its sensitivity you want when they are finicy bitesdont dismiss the swingtip ive used them on carp water with baitrunners set so that there is just enough drag on freespool to give dtection on tip but this also allows for runaway bites.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

dbarri

Without a doubt, swingtip coupled with a fixed paternoster is the MOST sensitive. Use with a straight lead rather than a feeder because of the risk of wrap-ups on the cast. Use a heavy feeder rod with a large open end feeder to introduce your feed, and then cast your swingtip tackle over the feed area. A swingtip of 12" is far more sensitive than the finest of quivertips (the Sigma Wand tips included). Experiment at home if you are not convinced by my claim. Swingtipping was good enough for the likes of Freddie Foster and Ivan Marks. Bream have not evolved, but anglers have forgotten what a successful tactic this is for the shyest of biters - roach and small skimmers included.

Status
Not open for further replies.