Bite alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythMags

Can anyone offer some advice to a newbie on what bite alarm to buy?

I've seen a Shakespeare Valor bite alarm for 15, but don't really know what features I'm looking for.

What features are essential on a bite alarm and which are merely 'desirable'?

Also - is it important to put something between the first couple of rod rings to allow a bit of slack line?

Does this improve the effectiveness of the bite alarm?

What do you use for this?

Would a sidewinder butt indicator, coupled with a bite alarm, be effective?

Too many questions..................

Thanks

Alan

Ian C

Hi Alan,

Personally I think some of the alarms available are seriously over priced for the extra features on offer, so I elected to buy cheaper alarms and I have been happy with them.
I like alarms where you can adjust the volume and tone and have a latching light which remains on for say 15-20 seconds after activation. For me, these would be the essential features.

If you intend doing a lot of night fishing, then maybe an alarm that has a sounder box socket would be a good idea? That way you can doze off without having to have your alarms on full to wake you, as the sounder box will be right next to you when bivvied up.

A simple bobbin will assist bite detection due to the slight tension applied to the line, as this will turn the roller in the alarm better especially on back-bites, where the fish slowly swims towards you.

I bought mine at an angling fair in Newark for 10 each. Check out WMac's site for a set of three PBA2 alarms with a sounder box, leads and carry case for 39.99...

http://www.wmac.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Bite_Alarms___Indicators_52.html

These are identical to mine and will do for a start, until you find you actually need some other features [:D]

Ian C

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Blyth for a bite alarm to work correctly an indicator is needed between the alarm and the reel. This serves the pupose of maintaining a slight tension in the line. It allows the alarm to detect both drop backs as well as normal takes.
As to features of the alarm. If your only going to be using one alarm then volume/tone control and latching leds are not a priority.

chill out go fishing

BlythMags

Excuse my naivity, but are bobbins the same as swingers?

Or do they, at least, do the same job?

Thanks

Alan

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Alan

Yes bobbins and swingers both do the same job. As John (Esox) says they put a bit of tension on your line and give you a visual indicator of a bite - if they go lower it's a drop back (and the fish is coming towards you), if they go higher it's a run (and the fish is going away from you).

A bobbin just hangs straight down from your line and is attached to your rod rest by a slack cable/wire (just to stop it from getting lost when you strike). In it's simplest form a bobbin can be made from the top of a washing up liquid bottle (I push a bit of plastacine in it to give it some weight).

AlanP

TINY

Tiny
In my opinion an alarm is an alarm.Whether it be audible or visual,is up to the individual who is spending the money.There are boat loads of different alarms on the market,and at the end of the day they all do the same thing.I suppose at the bottom end they will be around 5.00 and go through the ceiling from there.

Andy.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I brought 4 bite alarms with running & latching lights (green l.e.d & red l.e.d)
Plus a jack plug socket for a sounder box & they cost me a grand total of 15.

I brought them from Askari's on line shop but you've got to make a minimum order of 30.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
lol nah mate, the best bit is for the real tackle tarts Askari even do a camouflage bite alarm.
The only thing i don't like abut that idea is what happens if you drop it in the long grass [:D]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

TINY

Tiny
Take a strimmer with you,Im sure the other anglers wont mind.(Big splash later)

Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.