Bite alarms

GeeTee

I’m just setting out on trying to catch a few bigger fish and changing the way I go about things.

one of pits I fish in is going to need some fishing at range and potentially long waits for a bite.

im planning on a heli rig with either a feeder or bomb. if I use alarms do I always need to use baitrunner type reels.

I’ve never used them before but looking forward to some new types of fishing.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If you're going after the bigger fish, I would recommend baitrunners, just make sure you set them up correctly, not too loose and not too tight. I've seen too many rods pulled in and lost through not doing so.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If you can't run to the cost of baitrunners there are still ways you can fish... you could cast out and leave the bail open and put a lump of soft foam into the butt ring, or cast out and slacken off the clutch so that the spool can turn with the bail closed... neither methods are brilliant, but its a way of fishing without a baitrunner... (what we did before baitrunners were invented)
I have to say... never fish either way close to snags

squimp

Site Supporter
You can also get some (mostly Shimano) fairly small reels with a Fighting drag. That is a secondary drag a bit like a baitrunner, but in my opinion more versatile.

I use them for still water roach, tench and bream feeder fishing. I also use them for some river applications.

CarpCatcher86

For carp fishing, baitrunners and bite alarms are the way to go. You simply set em and forget em as they say.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I would recommend bait runners, have seen too many rods pulled in to say otherwise. Get in the habit of making sure the baitrunner is engaged.

I cast out, feel the rig down and sink the line. Put the rod on the rests / pod, with the line running round the outside of the bite alarm, not through it. Engage baitrunner and pay out a small amount of line and clip my bobbin on. Then slip the line into the bite alarm.

That way I know the baitrunner is engaged and I haven’t annoyed all and sundry by fiddling with the line and bobbin with the line running through the bite alarm, setting it off umpteen times.

I also wonder if the fish can hear the bite alarm bleeps underwater? Does tight line between reel and lead act like 2 tin cans and a taught string?