Bite alarms are they good to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

animal 2001 2001

Hi i just recently bought a bite alarm and i was wondering wether it was a good thing to choose and if any of you that have used one what did you catch and where.

[8D]sam thornton
baz.thornton@ntlworld.com

s.thornton

(Just moving this into 'Fishing Talk' - Dave)

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Hi Sam - Welcome to the Forum.

I've used bite alarms, as have most of the people on here I would have thought. If you are going to night fish they are near enough essential, and are useful in the day as well because you can look around, or sort out another rod or whatever and still be alerted if you get a bite.

I use them for carp fishing at a local day ticket water and they work well. I also used them on the River Trent this weekend (where they were virtually silent unfortunately [:(]), although some of the other guys managed to get noises out of theirs as they got bites from Barbel and Chub [:D].

Give it a go next time you're fishing and let us know how it went. If you have any other general queries post them in the Fishing Talk forum as that generally gets more response.

AlanP

scoobs11

unless your night fishing then they are not essential helpful but not essential.

people seem to forget the days before they were readily available and have come to rely on them .

we even get folk fishing matches with them now !!!!!

dont get me wrong i will and do use them but theres a time and a place.

oh and theres a volume button there for a reason.

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

AlanP

'EastAngler'
I did say "near enough essential" for night-fishing, and "useful" at other times [;)].

Yes, I know people managed before they were invented, I used to fish without one but now they have been invented why not make use of them, particularly at night when sound will usually be better than sight for alerting you to a bite?

As regards Volume Controls - my kids have them on their CD players, so I know they only work when turned in a clock-wise direction as far as humanly possible [}:)].

AlanP

Last edited:

martin.

Account Locked
they are not DAVE proof yet & cannot distinguish between a red leader or fish so be on your gaurd LOL
i found this out at trent w/e

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One tip I can pass on is when setting up your rod onto the alarm is either switch the alarm off whilst doing so or put your thumb over the sounder to suppress the noise as this is when it irritates other anglers most especially at night when sound carries.

- Must remember to pass this on to Stu, Martin [:p]

Dave

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
That only takes away the wind up factor Dave

Stu
Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.