Bite Alarm Receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadburysnack

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a pair of Bite Alarms for overnight sessions and see that you can get ones that have a wireless receiver. How necessary is the receiver? I was fine with just getting bite alarms, but now I worry that I wouldnt wake up during a take! What are experienced anglers views on this?

Cheers,

Cadbury

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
receiver is only needed IMO if your away from your rods (next peg max) asleep, or the fact you dont want the whole lake knowing you have a screamer...

i dont use them, infact aint got 1, ive just got 3 x fox alarms...

pmdirect here is selling 4 alarms and a receiver @ a very very good price and i know a few people from here thats purchased them.

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Not being funny but if you are sleeping while fishing wouldn't this mean you are leaving your rods unattended?
And isn't there a rule on distance you can go before rods are classed as unattended?

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by Ferret1959

Not being funny but if you are sleeping while fishing wouldn't this mean you are leaving your rods unattended?
And isn't there a rule on distance you can go before rods are classed as unattended?

what do you think carpers do on over nighters, or over a longer period? not sleep at all? [:0] never going to happen unless your on a tub of speed...

as for leaving your rods, yes there is a certain distance, no idea what that is though.

jukebox1

I think I read somewhere that the maximum distance you can be from your rods is 15 yards and the max distance for having your rods apart is 3 metres from but to but. I'm sure I read this somewhere on the EA website and will try to find it and post later as I,m not 100% on the above [:T]

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by jukebox1

I think I read somewhere that the maximum distance you can be from your rods is 15 yards and the max distance for having your rods apart is 3 metres from but to but. I'm sure I read this somewhere on the EA website and will try to find it and post later as I,m not 100% on the above [:T]

your correct about teh 3m rules mate, but unsure on the rest..

i remember a pike angler getting a MASSIVE fine for have 4 rods spread over 50m or so..... (thats an estimated distance)

jukebox1

Taken from the EA website........................
When fishing with more than one rod and line at the same time,
the aggregate number shall not exceed four.
When fishing with multiple rods and lines, rods shall be placed
such that the distance between the butts of the end rods does not
exceed three metres.
NB. This is a national byelaw.
iii) Any person who leaves a rod and line with its bait or hook in
the water unattended or so that the person shall be unable at
any time to take or excercise sufficient control over said rod
and line shall be guilty of an offence.
NB This is a new national byelaw................

The above statement does not really specify a maximum distance but if the law is that the rod butts must be no more than 3 metres apart then I think it is fair to say that the MAJORITY of the time you should be within 3 metres or so of your rods. It is ok IMO to go and have a waz or take a photograph for someone etc but I personally would,nt venture more than 15 yards or so and if I did I would pull my rods in first. If I was fishing in weed or up to snags then I would,nt be away from my rods at all and I would,nt leave them out if I was asleep either as there is always a chance that a fish may become snagged up causing damage to it or it dragging a length of line with a hook in around for a while [:C] I suppose that if the water is clear of obstuctions and the fish is safe to run then a little more discretion can be used but it seems a very grey area and my advice is dont leave your rods unattended at all.If you get a screaming run and you,ve been sitting there for hours (or days) catching nothing then you need to be on the rod in an instant IMO to ensure that you dont have to tell the story of the one that got away [:p] Anyway back to the topic question [:D] Wireless alarms are good if you dont want to alert everyone on the lake or wake them up when you get a take and are also handy for if you are a bit of a sleeper and need the receiver closer to your ears to alert you. But again if you are a heavy sleeper then you should pull your rods in and fish when you are awake as this in effect is the same as leaving a rod unattended but thats a different can of worms to be opened another time [:D][:p][B)][;)]

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
forgot to add a [:D]

Yea the Bite alarms are all gone! not planning to bring any more in for a few weeks either!

Not if your after a Chair Bed I am definately your man!

check www.medusatackle.co.uk

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Originally posted by common_carp

Originally posted by Ferret1959

what do you think carpers do on over nighters, or over a longer period? not sleep at all? [:0] never going to happen unless your on a tub of speed...

as for leaving your rods, yes there is a certain distance, no idea what that is though.

It depends, if they are serious and safety conscious carpers or just tossers who think it's ok to leave a carp hooked until they can be arsed to get out of bed. Where do you fit in?

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Me, I take my rods out the water cos no alarm would wake me in time to deal with the hooked fish.

welshwingnut

The Recievers have the opposite affect to letting the whole fishery know if you have a bite , turn them down rest them on your pillow its quite a loud sound next to your ear but not loud enough for all the lake to hear and also which ever light illuminates on the reciever then thats the rod you will be lifting into .

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
Why does everyone automatically think because you have a reciever your gonna go down the shops or for a merry walk etc!! Recievers are good! and a tool that serves its purpose.
Im gonna try to be neutral here but!! if a carp is hooked and takes the bait for a run, you take about 10/40 seconds getting to your rod is that a problem...?? really??

Look at it another way. your sat at your rod, alarm goes of, you strike, play the fish for 10 mins and wear it out, land it, admire it, treat it and release it.

Your in your bivy, alrms going off, outta bed to the rod in 8 seconds usually, ive seen it done quicker, lift rod as its all ready hooked no need to strike, play it for 10 mins, land it, admire it and release it!

I think its an argument for nothing....

Lets all be friends now and stop jumping to conclusions about worst case scenarios that in hindesight may not happen!

I see a guy asleep with his rods out, I was going to bring them in for him so he could snooze, as i approached his alarm went off. He lifted his rod within in about 6 seconds and landed a very healthy looking barbel!

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Ah but...............I have seen rods saved by the rushes cos the dozy carper was to far into dream land to realise the rod had jumped off the alarm but still running.
To be honest unless you are a light sleeper you are best off having a kip with your rods on the bank.

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
Agreed! Ferret...

Usually the running gear on the reels should help but note: dont fall to sleep with rods out. its not the desired approach!

I see a guy in a match floating pole, fish just took the bait and his pole was like a torpedo. he jumped in after it and saved it... narna should have been more aware!

PhilBo

I never intend to sleep with lines in, at night if I have had enough then I will reel in, sleep and recast when awake.. during the day maybe a doze in the chair but the baitrunners are always on and my Fox alarms turned up to max (just in case)

If you do intend on sleeping on the job it would be worth considering a Fox bite alarm set up with a receiver and a Halo bivvy light that will light your bivvy up when the alarm screams off...

Its up to the individual angler.. how heavy a sleeper are you? can you stay awake all night?

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Originally posted by PhilBo

I never intend to sleep with lines in, at night if I have had enough then I will reel in, sleep and recast when awake.. during the day maybe a doze in the chair but the baitrunners are always on and my Fox alarms turned up to max (just in case)

If you do intend on sleeping on the job it would be worth considering a Fox bite alarm set up with a receiver and a Halo bivvy light that will light your bivvy up when the alarm screams off...

Its up to the individual angler.. how heavy a sleeper are you? can you stay awake all night?

Phil, not sure who the question is directed at but in my case, depends how much sleep I have had previous to the fishing session. :)
If I start nodding off I get the rods out of the water and call it a night, or day whichever the case. :)

screamer26

If you go fishing at night, no matter how heavy you sleep in your home, you will sleep lighter while fishing. A reciever gives you the option of not having your alarms wake everyone else up, I use delkims and they are the best money can buy, I wouldn't be without my alarms and reciever on night sessions. As for distance away from your rods, if I am going for a prolonged chat I will wind in but keep the alarms on so no one nicks my rods, neat trick that[;)]

The distance between butts of rods set at 3 metres[:0] mine are always 6 inches apart cause I am a tart lol.

cadburysnack

Having read through all these views, and having scoured the internet i have come to several possible conclusions:

I am quite happy to just buy two bite alarms, and stay awake whilst my lines are in the water and bring them in when I need my sleep. In which case I could get:

Korum KBI Alarms - I just really like Korum Products

Fox Bite Alarms - These seem to be very popular, but is there a model where I can buy the alarms individually, and at a later date buy a receiver for them?

On the other hand, I could buy these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TF-Gear-NEW-Signature-Bite-Alarm-Set-FAST-P-P-/290450008499?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item43a02b69b3#ht_1270wt_913

I dont like to buy bog standard quality products really though, and would always prefer to pay a little bit more for quality....

Your thoughts?

Cheers guys,

Cadbury

Status
Not open for further replies.