Bit of a moan! Ruddy Carpers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djbennetto

Dont get me wrong, I like to get on with everyone who goes fishing on my local water as there's a mutual interest there and you can swap tips etc. I also quite like most of the carpers as they are a good laugh.

What gets me is, I rarely have time to go fishing, for what I call a good session, in the week, job, family etc but when I do go on a saturday / sunday the lake is overun by 2/3 rods next to the water and a load of bivvy's round the edge. Its extremely difficult to get a swim and when you do, there's what seem like meteor's of bait going in and boats wizzing round dropping mountains of bolies. Ive paid for a season, got my book, got my rod licence and then cant get on!

Gets me goat, thats all. Whinge over!

and.... you can still fish, just have to get a swim, and try to find out what time carpers usually get up there, because it will be the same most of the time and try to get a swim before the time they get there. Simple As

tug

Where I go carpers are usually there friday night tug.

nrayner

Joiun a different club. Fish somewhere else. Try somewhere that doesn't have carp.

And remember you are not SAD like they are. Presumably you have a rounded, balanced life...they clearly don't[;)]

darrengeorge

speci-ish
I sympathise, I hate fishing busy places. But its unreasonable to expect other anglers to not set up their bivvys in a swim that is vacant, on account of someone else might want to fish there. They have just as much right to be there as you do.

My solution? Fish somewhere else.

Last edited:

jus lumps

I really feel for you. Next time your down at the lake, why don't you leave all the carpers with your phone number so that on a friday night, they can give you a ring to see if your gonna turn up at dinner time on saturday & ask you which peg you want so they can leave it free. [:I]
I'm sure they won't mind [:D]

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I have experienced similar problems on my local waters.They do turn up on the Friday night and camp over the weekend so you can't 'beat them to it' unfortunately. Then you have the additional problem of three or four lines set out literally right left and centre covering a multitude of adjacent and even far bank pegs.On a recent match several turned up an hour before the weigh in and lugged all their gear up and sat behind the match anglers on their chosen pegs waiting to move into their swims.I find quite a few of the carp crew friendly and considerate enough but there seems to be a growing number who conduct themselves in a selfish and anti social manner, with little regard for other anglers fishing the same waters.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Well this must be a record for the MD web site a whole 2 weeks passed before someone moaning about us carpers again.

Fishing with more than one rod increases the chance of a take - noting that specimen carp don't happen every session and you can't hook them a fish a chuck. Carp are not as stupid as skimmers etc.

Bivvi - common sence you really want to kip under the old stars in this weather?

As for stacks of bait - we put in what we can afford and bearing in mind a 20plus carp will hoover up a small pile of pellets etc in no time - the bait acts to hold them - thought you would know this. I've seen matchmen (and women) chucking in kilos of ground bait so whats your point?

Bait boats just another bit of angling kit - like marmite love um or hate them if the fishery lets you use them then why not.

They have paid like you so whats stopping them from using the water. if the lake is full and all the swims taken well hard luck that happens to a lot of us.

What can i suggest - fish somewhere else, become a carper, go there a different day, complain to the owner, don't get another season ticket there.

Get over it...thats my counter moan over.....[:D]

Last edited:

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Originally posted by floatfisher

I find quite a few of the carp crew friendly and considerate enough but there seems to be a growing number who conduct themselves in a selfish and anti social manner, with little regard for other anglers fishing the same waters.

And I have seen and heard the same from match and pleasure anglers the same.

Empty vessels make the most noise I guess......[;)]

mouse77

Originally posted by Djbennetto

Dont get me wrong, I like to get on with everyone who goes fishing on my local water as there's a mutual interest there and you can swap tips etc. I also quite like most of the carpers as they are a good laugh.

What gets me is, I rarely have time to go fishing, for what I call a good session, in the week, job, family etc but when I do go on a saturday / sunday the lake is overun by 2/3 rods next to the water and a load of bivvy's round the edge. Its extremely difficult to get a swim and when you do, there's what seem like meteor's of bait going in and boats wizzing round dropping mountains of bolies. Ive paid for a season, got my book, got my rod licence and then cant get on!

Gets me goat, thats all. Whinge over!

If your not happy with the venue go somewhere else...easy.

BarryC

Dont mind any angler whatever you call them beating me to a swim. I do get annoyed though when during the day when I want to fish they are very often reeled in and catching up on their sleep so I still can't use the swim.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Bait boats are ridiculous, a few lads last month raced two or three from their pegs over to where there bait was but thought it would be funny to detour over 3 other swims including my own, nobody said anything to them and if i wasnt on my own id have had words, on a commercial where the island is 10m out, a catapult or even hand baiting would suffice, leave the boats at home.

Wouldnt mind but the Carp dont top 10lb in that lake and they are more than happy to fall to the waggler or pole before other methods so why bother with 3 rods and all sorts!

mouse77

Is this another "lets all have a go at carp anglers" thread?

Are you lot the same anglers that moan about "no fishing on telly"...no wonder fishing never gets recognised when a lot of anglers are happiest having a dig at other disciplines of the sport....aint it about time angling had a bit of unity?

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Genuine "carpers" I can deal with.
They sit quietly enough, waiting for that "special fish".

Not got a problem with them really.

The ones I do have a problem with are the (dare I say it????) Numpty brigade.

They turn up and have a wander round, asking who s catching and what with, fair enough, but then they proceed to sit right next to the ones who are catching, seemingly trying to "poach" from their swims.
They set up 3 or 4 rods, and start casting across the lake, infront of the poor sod next to them, then the alarms come out.

Every 2 minutes, they somehow feel the need to "test" their alarms!

Why?

Do the batteries only last half an hour or something?

As you may be able to tell, I had a run in this week with a few so called carpers.

I use the term loosly, because as far as I could tell, they were nt really ANGLERS!

At first, I put up with the noise, the shouting abuse at each other, the stomping around on the bank etc.

But Im afraid my patience wore thin at the point when one of them shouted to his mate
"Oi! Get the spliff out and skin up!!"

I nearly fell off my box!

Sure enough, out came a packet of Rizla, and a rather suspect looking plastic bag....

Sorry, but to me thats bang out of order, especially when there were loads of youngsters about. It doesnt exactly set a good example does it?

Im not having a go at carpers at all, like I say, they (in my experience) are usually well behaved, and never had any serious problems.

The problem is, these sort are giving the genuine speci hunters a bad rap.

I have the same problem thrown in my direction, as a match angler. We arent all bad either.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Hahahaha this happened last week too me!

Im on the bank and me and my mate are really having them on floating bread, two Carpers come from the other side of the lake and ask us for some bread we had a few loaves so gave them a few slices, they then said "nice one kid, want some of this" and went to pass me a 9" spliff, its not my scene at all but im young so i wasnt exactly shocked, seems everyone does it these days.

What annoys me though is my best mate. He casts out, his feeder rig, puts it on the pod and tightens his line with the alarm on, and he is reeling in for like a minute and people are getting really micked off, i tell him to turn his alarm down or off while he does it but he never does.

Then if he hasnt had a bite after 10 minutes he reels a little to test its working and thats really gets on my nerves, i need to sit him down and tell him not to do it :)

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by Ady

Hahahaha this happened last week too me!

Sorry but I dont find it funny at all, fair enough if they want to do it thats up to them. But when there s kids about its a different story.[:(]

shonkyboy

" rods fair enough for speccy hunters - real ones. But when you go to a commercial and the 15 year old kid next 10 you is using 4 rods (Brafferton) its taking the pi@s. And casting into effectivley 4 swims.[:(!]

Djbennetto

Originally posted by mouse77

Is this another "lets all have a go at carp anglers" thread?

Are you lot the same anglers that moan about "no fishing on telly"...no wonder fishing never gets recognised when a lot of anglers are happiest having a dig at other disciplines of the sport....aint it about time angling had a bit of unity?

Lol, seemed to have opened a can of worms here. I was expecting the 'fish somewhere else then' and more often than not I do. Im not carper bashing either as the majority of them are nice guys. One carper i never met before even gave me some of his kit that he never used and was having a clear out.

Just having a bit of a moan as we are all entitled!

Simon R

Site Supporter
We don't allow night-fishing on a Saturday night at one of our club waters purely so that our 'fish once a week if it's sunny' members can get a peg.

Funnily enough most of the carp lads seem quite happy with the arrangement (well they never come to the meetings to ask why they can't fish all weekend)

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.