Birmingham+ Worcs Canal

I don't fish canals during the Summer,mainly due to boat traffic. So this was my first trip for a few months...

I fished a stretch in Stoke Prior,past the Boat and Railway pub.. Found a peg with a bit of far bank cover,and decided to fish 3 lines...Groundbait at the bottom of the far shelf+near shelf,and breadpunch down the track.. Hook bait was red maggot, pinkies and 4mm punch...
Started with two small balls of groundbait on each shelf lines,laced with a few pinkies. And a tangerine sized ball of white crumb down the middle...
Went straight on the punch down the middle,and the float sailed away with a nice chunky roach! Three more followed,before I hooked something more substantial. Judging by the yards of number four elastic charging down the canal,I assumed it was one of the resident carp before everything went ping!..
Punch line died a bit of a death after that,so I switched to the far shelf. Single red maggot didn't produce any bites,so a swap to pinkie tempted a few small perch and a gudgeon.. It was a bit slow going,and as I wanted to leave the near shelf at least an hour,I dropped back down the track with a bigger 6mm punch... Float bolted straight under,and a nice hybrid about 1lb was soon in the net!. Two more small hybrids and a roach followed,before I decided to try the near shelf..
Double pinkie was deployed,and after about a minute the float buried and a fair bit of elastic was jagging out. I suspected it was another hybrid,but to my delight an enormous roach popped up! (I later weighted it,2lb 4oz!).. The following three put ins resulted in two further roach over a 1lb,and a large skimmer..
I continued to rotate each line,nicking a few fish off each,before the first boat of the day came through. This killed all 3 lines stone dead,so after 4 hrs I packed up..
Ended up with nearly 20lb of quality silvers,and a day to remember! I've included a picture,and to add some scale my foot is a size 11..
The sad thing is in the last 18months,I've seen one other angler on the bank along the whole Bromsgrove stretch..
IMAG0590.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey well done any session with roach like that is very special and a great bag weight as well especially for the time of year. Impressive stuff indeed would love a session like that atm!

Blimey well done any session with roach like that is very special and a great bag weight as well especially for the time of year. Impressive stuff indeed would love a session like that atm!
Thanks mate... It's a fantastic canal,just can't understand why nobody fishes it! Commercial fisheries are more easily accessible I suppose( not against them,fish them myself in the summer).

bluemack

Site Supporter
Thanks mate... It's a fantastic canal,just can't understand why nobody fishes it! Commercial fisheries are more easily accessible I suppose( not against them,fish them myself in the summer).
Hi mate,that,s a lovely net of fish shame about the fish you lost. Who has the rights to this stretch not B.A.A by any chance is it?
i,m based in Redditch so would be somewhere else have a go at. cheers and well done.

Hi mate,that,s a lovely net of fish shame about the fish you lost. Who has the rights to this stretch not B.A.A by any chance is it?
i,m based in Redditch so would be somewhere else have a go at. cheers and well done.
Thanks mate.... Yes,it is BAA... Some stretches are better than others,but having fished everywhere along this stretch I've always caught...Two days after my session,a 32lb carp was caught 50yds from where I was fishing. No chance on a number four elastic lol!

Ivan heaphurst

Belting catch of fish, you are correct what you say about canals. It seems to be the same up here, you do well to see another angler let alone another angler, some of the fish I catch in the Bridgewater have never seen a hook. Enjoy.

Belting catch of fish, you are correct what you say about canals. It seems to be the same up here, you do well to see another angler let alone another angler, some of the fish I catch in the Bridgewater have never seen a hook. Enjoy.
Thanks mate.... Twenty five years ago,you struggled to get a decent peg due to the popularity of canal fishing in my area..On the plus side,the fish seem to be getting bigger!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I really should do more canal fishing but I struggle to pull myself away from the rivers, will have to have a go in the close season or whilst the rivers are up. Mind you the Oxford canal was over it’s banks last week! Did have a great session on the K&A last yeah though with probably around 8lb of roach and skimmers and 3 2lb perch in a little over 3 hours. Haven’t fished the oxford canal in years as it was always hard work, probably improved as an angler since then though so should have another go.

I really should do more canal fishing but I struggle to pull myself away from the rivers, will have to have a go in the close season or whilst the rivers are up. Mind you the Oxford canal was over it’s banks last week! Did have a great session on the K&A last yeah though with probably around 8lb of roach and skimmers and 3 2lb perch in a little over 3 hours. Haven’t fished the oxford canal in years as it was always hard work, probably improved as an angler since then though so should have another go.
I think you're right,with regards to improving as an angler. I know all canals used to be peggy( some still are),but as nobody seems to fish them much anymore the fish seem to be more spread out..And canal fishing can be hard.My uncle taught me to fish on canals,and his mantra was "If you can catch on canals in the Winter,you can catch anywhere".. And he was right!. I've transferred the same skills to rivers,commercials etc and they have stood me in good stead...My grandson will have his first taste of fishing on the cut next year we

I fished the same peg today as I did earlier in the week,mainly out of convenience,and struggled to get 2lb of bits lol!... Gotta love fishing!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
At least you got out and caught again. Every venue around my way has been over its banks or at least have banks like the Somme all month. This time last weekend in particular this neck of the woods looked more like the Louisiana delta than Oxfordshire!

At least you got out and caught again. Every venue around my way has been over its banks or at least have banks like the Somme all month. This time last weekend in particular this neck of the woods looked more like the Louisiana delta than Oxfordshire!
You're right. We have been quite lucky up our way.. I feel for some of the fisheries close the rivers,lots of F1s now roaming the waterways!

nutmeg

Site Supporter
A good tool to use at this time of year is to visit the Canal and River Trust site and check out what dates there will be stoppages on any of the canals that you fish, this is when locks are closed for maintenance which means no boat traffic usually, the locks can be closed for weeks upto months, as is the case with one at Hurleston near Nantwich where the side walls were starting to bow inwards and are having to be totally rebuilt.

A good tool to use at this time of year is to visit the Canal and River Trust site and check out what dates there will be stoppages on any of the canals that you fish, this is when locks are closed for maintenance which means no boat traffic usually, the locks can be closed for weeks upto months, as is the case with one at Hurleston near Nantwich where the side walls were starting to bow inwards and are having to be totally rebuilt.
That's a great tip. Thanks for that.