Birkdale Fishery - Terrington, Near York

fadgewacker

I've seen random scattering mentions in these forums and AN other, and some noted fond memories of this place (as have I). As I'm getting back into fishing again, I thought I'd call and see whether it was still open. Seems that only one of the 3 lakes (the main one) is now able to be fished. The landlady said it was very quiet, which leads me to believe it's probably not being very well looked after.

I will, however, go for a nosey about one day and wet line to see what I can get out. I spent MANY long days here as a kid, so it would be a real shame if the decline was total.

Has anybody fished it in the past couple of years?

Simon R

Site Supporter
It's a spot I used to visit quite regularly - we even had a couple of club matches on the main lake.

One year the bottom pond was full of mini-carp - 4-6oz sort of size - not due to intensive stocking but just a very, very good years spawning.
I've got some photos somewhere.
It's also the only place I've ever caught a stone loach on rod & line.

Be interested to see how you get on - it's another of those places (like Amotherby now it's under new ownership) that's on my radar to go fish again.

Simon

PP123

Haven’t been for 25 years. I’d be interested to see some photos to jog my memory.

fadgewacker

It's a spot I used to visit quite regularly - we even had a couple of club matches on the main lake.

One year the bottom pond was full of mini-carp - 4-6oz sort of size - not due to intensive stocking but just a very, very good years spawning.
I've got some photos somewhere.
It's also the only place I've ever caught a stone loach on rod & line.

Be interested to see how you get on - it's another of those places (like Amotherby now it's under new ownership) that's on my radar to go fish again.

Simon
For what it's worth, Amotherby, though under new ownership, is going caravan intensive, the old lake is full of weed (though they've dyed the water to try to reduce this) and the carp lake, well, looked pretty dead. According to the lads that were fishing when I walked round, it's in terrible form. Bits win matches.

I will, however, as Amotherby was my true stomping ground, make my own mind up with an evening session later in the month. Will let you know how I get on.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Here's a couple of pictures that I already had scanned - netfulls of mini-carp from the bottom pond

Birkdale (bottom pond) 13-8-95.jpg Birkdale 13-8-95.jpg

13th August 1995 according to the photo title

Found some more general pictures, I'll scan a couple in over the weekend

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Didn't John win one with some really stinky cheesepaste that had been 'ripening' in his car for a couple of months?
I'm sure Richie Bell had a couple of big carp in one match as well

I lost a couple of years match results when I had a computer crash a few years ago and I've got a feeling it was around the time when we had matches at Brikdale and Amotherby - was it you or Phil who tried to weigh in that very dead skimmer at Amotherby?

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Here's some more photos - first two must have been taken after the 'Annual Cup' match in 1996 which was held on the main lake

birkdale matches 1996.JPG

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg

Rest of the photos are all around the same time as the two I posted earlier (ie 1995) and show the small lake down the hill

Image00003.jpg Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg
Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Simon

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Chauffeured around today (touch of LURGY) to get some air. Visited these past MDrs posts. !!!

Attachments

• DSCF3889.jpg
    DSCF3889.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 24

Dicka

Fished there 25 yrs ago and loved it,can anyone tell me can you still night fish there and how much it is please,also is the middle pond still got the carp in,

fadgewacker

Fished there 25 yrs ago and loved it,can anyone tell me can you still night fish there and how much it is please,also is the middle pond still got the carp in,
You can only fish the middle pond nowadays... I have to assume all the fish are in there. The venue is heavily fenced to keep otters out, which is probably why there has been somewhat of a decline. Not sure on night fishing, but I can't see why not...

01653 648758 is the correct number to speak to the current owners.

fadgewacker

Ok, so I went for a walk round. Nobody on the water,m and no evidence of anybody being there recently either... That island still has to hold a lot of fish...

Top and bottom lakes no longer fishable - totally choked with weed.

IMG_1424.JPEG IMG_1425.JPEG IMG_1426.JPEG IMG_1427.JPEG IMG_1428.JPEG IMG_1429.JPEG IMG_1430.JPEG IMG_1431.JPEG IMG_1432.JPEG IMG_1433.JPEG IMG_1434.JPEG IMG_1435.JPEG IMG_1436.JPEG IMG_1437.JPEG IMG_1438.JPEG IMG_1439.JPEG IMG_1440.JPEG IMG_1441.JPEG IMG_1443.JPEG IMG_1444.JPEG