Birds

62tucker

Site Supporter
Been out in back garden and it was like a summers day really. Sunny. Warmish really. No wind. ( for now). Anyway a few small birds flew onto a feeder. I sure they looked like fledglings. Small with long tails. The feathers looked like they had just left the nest. A bit ruffled. Never had my phone to take a photo. Surely they not be nesting yet never mind chicks or fledglings.

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Been out in back garden and it was like a summers day really. Sunny. Warmish really. No wind. ( for now). Anyway a few small birds flew onto a feeder. I sure they looked like fledglings. Small with long tails. The feathers looked like they had just left the nest. A bit ruffled. Never had my phone to take a photo. Surely they not be nesting yet never mind chicks or fledglings.
Like a little ball of fluff with a long tail?? My guess would be long tailled tits - we have around 8 that visit the feeders in the garden every couple of hours - beautiful little things - love 'em.
45029841.jpg

davylad

Site Supporter
Lovely little birds, usually in a group when I've seen them.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Must of been them. Thanks for the reply’s. Never seen them in my back garden before. 👍🏼

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Must of been them. Thanks for the reply’s. Never seen them in my back garden before. 👍🏼
They only started visiting my garden in the last six months, have also had a pair of goldfinches visiting since last summer and since Christmas we have had a blackcap for the first time feeding regularly.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Had some house sparrows thieving the fibre matting from a couple of hanging baskets the other day, now ive got to buy some new liners because they took about 4 " from one side

BTMS

Site Supporter
The only problem I've had with Niger seed is that every single that drops onto the garden germinates :devilish:
I know I have got 5 of them but well worth it seeing them. Quite timid but the do love it. 2 peanut feeders and 3 mixed seed feeders. The worst is the wheat!!! Going to try taking out the wheat but its like counting maggots in a tub:LOL:

rudd

Site Supporter
We get a big flock of longtails down club lakes amongst other species.
Very acrobatic whilst searching branches for food.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
You can buy bird food that has been heat treated so it doesn't germinate.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I know I have got 5 of them but well worth it seeing them. Quite timid but the do love it. 2 peanut feeders and 3 mixed seed feeders. The worst is the wheat!!! Going to try taking out the wheat but its like counting maggots in a tub:LOL:
We get Woodpigeons and Collared Doves and they clear up the wheat.

Sam Vimes

Long tailed tits are fantastic little birds. Once the leaves on the trees and insects start emerging in numbers, you barely notice them. I see loads in the bare trees when fishing the Swale and Tees. You generally hear their cheeping before you actually spot them.