Birds nesting?

62tucker

Site Supporter
I have a 12 bird boxes of various shapes sizes and last year 2 had nests in.
This year no signs at all.
Surely they would have began nesting by now.
Or can I blame it in to many magpies about.
Or my presence in garden most of the day.
Anyone got any nest box activity

carphauler

Got 3 up but only put them in last year, it takes a while for the birds to trust them.
Got a blackbird that nests in the same spot in a hedge already in, couple years ago was chuffed to see some goldfinches nesting in the wysteria.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Are your bird boxes smart enough?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
We put a ceramic teapot shaped one in the hedge facing the right direction over winter for Robins etc to hopefully start nesting in but I don't think they have yet.

62tucker

Site Supporter
We put a ceramic teapot shaped one in the hedge facing the right direction over winter for Robins etc to hopefully start nesting in but I don't think they have yet.
I have a odd tea pot and old watering can up in apple tree. Pigeon made nest next to it.
One of the biggest birds. And a few twigs for a nest. 🤷‍♂️

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Blackbird building in a holly bush in our front garden,last time one did it a Magpie got all the chicks,the ones in the wifes aviaries are laying,Chinese Painted Quaill have a nest of about ten eggs and canaries busy nest making.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Not got any nestboxes up, but looks like blackbirds have taken up their usual spot in the bushes.
Last year had a pair of Bullfinches in a small conifer just outside the front bedroom window but no sign this year.

And (see other thread) this year have a pair of swearword Herring Gulls on the chimney stack.....

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
sparrows are back in the eaves of the dormer

watched em flying in and out with bits of nesting material

wench said why dont I fill the hole up, but that would be crass, they have been nesting there as long as Ive owned the house, place is as much theirs as it is mine

over 30 generations of em have been born there

Last edited:

MountainAsh

Herring Gulls on the chimney stack.....
They’ll return every year and will become a complete nightmare during nesting season* Aside from the continuous din - and they don’t stop when it goes dark btw, the chicks eventually fall off the roof end up in the garden and then you’ll need a tin hat to get in and out your house. For some god unknown reason they have protected species so you can’t even set about breaking up the nest with a hose even if you get access to it and wanted to do so.

*4 years having to listen to em in Falmouth.

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter
Got my usual nesters in my shed, every winter i say i'm going to fix the broken acrylic window and i never do because i actually like working and looking up to see a little Robin face looking down at me or having the Wren land on the far end of my bench while i'm riddling my maggots and just watching, waiting knowing i'm going to flick a maggot at her.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Got a pair of Blackbirds starting to build a nest in the conifer. Really nice to hear them singing every morning and evening.

MGRex

Hmm, that is pretty awkward, though. I also have 12 bird boxes, and this year I have also got a couple of birds in there. Each year is almost the same situation. Three or four birds nest in there and live until the end of the summer.