Bin there, Done that

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Or subtitled, The struggles of early morning rubbish removal

its dark, its raining, that misty rain that gets yer wet through,

up early, for some goddam unknown reason our faithfull binmens bosses decided that the change from a respectable 10am ish call at yours truly's to a far earlier collection at around 7am ish was the way forward

so a quick coffee as a life saver, then on with the boots, and head out the back, collect the torch en-route to illuminate the padlock that secures the exit to the rear 4 foot and stumble out into the early morning dark, sort out the correct coloured bin, that happens to be green today and manouvere it towards the double gate

A shadow crosses my path as two bobs worth of Black dog decides as Im out, he is too, which is fine normally but the closeness of the small hound adds to the awkwardness of the entire manouvere, deciding that its better for the task in hand, he's shoo'ed back into the house

which then has your author hearing voices, not normal voices but Wench type voices,

walking out the kitchen and back up the hall, I stop at the foot of the wooden hill, cup my hand to my ear and try to make out what the muffled voice of womanhood thats still snuggled under the warm winter duvet is exclaiming

"what" I shout and await the answer, gradually realising the words uttered from high above, are telling me its also paper recycling day as well as green bin day

back down the hall, and through the kitchen to realise that in the time spent awaiting the instructions from above, the small black dog has again entered the vast areas of the back yard and is the process of cocking his leg up a large terracotta pot containing a bush, what the bush is I dont know, though it has a nice head of flowers in the early summer

shoo'ing him back in again, I have to stop and feed him some dry food, as hes at the cupboard and proclaiming loudly that hes ahungry, (this is normal for a non bin day morning) so that task is undertaken first

back out, its a bit lighter than it was upon starting my quest, but the torch is still needed and Ive left that in the scullery, back in and retrieved, only to watch the now fed hound dissapear up the hall, no doubt to, in my abscence, to rob my big old unoccupied comfy chair whilst I get to the tasks that really I havent even started yet

back out into the now slightly lighter gloaming, torch in hand, I set to the lock, though finding I need both hands for the task, the torch is stuck between my clamped together legs and roughly focused on the lock in question

at last, it clicks open as the key is inserted and turned and the double wrapped chain is fed back through the gaps in the pales, swinging it open, the darkness of the long passageway is entered, the bin is pulled forward, one hand on the handle, the other balancing the box containg the paper waste on top, not as easy as one would think, being as the bin has not moved for a month (we dont need to put it out every other week, our waste is minimal) and the wheels of the thing protest loudly as they reluctantly turn due to the amount of rain and damp that has occurred over that period affecting their motion

40 yards later, its on the street, tucked up nicely against the front wall, paper bin next to it, not blocking the footpath and Im heading back

only to meet an inquisitive hound halfway down the four foot, bloody thing, a quick shift with the toe of the booted footwear and hes off in front and back in the gate

chain re-wrapped, lock re-set, back indoors for another well needed coffee, which is quickly made, boots off whilst its boiling and heading towards the comfort of the chair,

and guess what !

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
I don’t bother with long winded excuses.
Put bin out last yesterday at 4pm when I could see. Job done. 👍

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
They have delayed Bin Day as they can’t get the waggon down the roads because they are blocked by 44 tonne foreign artics. ;)

6 ferries docked in dover last night and they couldnt unload due to the roads exiting the port were blocked

it seems though this morn, plod have been highly active and some of the trucks are now moving

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
6 ferries docked in dover last night and they couldnt unload due to the roads exiting the port were blocked

it seems though this morn, plod have been highly active and some of the trucks are now moving
Must be horrible living down there at the moment. 😩

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
lot of local businesses and groups have really surprised me, they have been out with food and drink for the lorry drivers and the plod etc dealing with the chaos

it will take ages to clear them all but they are finally moving on,
Funny we do a lot of shouting and moaning but, when #### hits the fan we all seem to pull together. 👍

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Our black bin (non-recyclables) day is every 2nd Friday, due for tomorrow. Due to Christmas it was rescheduled.... for next Wednesday.

So almost 3 weeks between collections, with Christmas right at the end of it.

our bin is always full when collected, so I had to book a recycling centre slot to get rid of some and make space for the Christmas rubbish.

Not exactly how I wanted to spend Christmas eve morning, but hey ho, it’s done now.