bike licence

stikflote

Site Supporter
Why is it that if go on line to insure a motorbike they want details of your car licence such as date you got it.

i got my motor bike licence in the very early 60,s, did not get car licence till 1976
so why does car licence details need to be given

Keith

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
So they can cross check with the DVLA that the motorcycle part is on it

drw

Site Supporter
Don’t know but would presume because of all the law changes regarding licenses and motorcycles over the last 50 years

Tyecon

Its factored in for insurance purposes
Ie,no claims years of driving experience any penalty points

stikflote

Site Supporter
OK so what if you havent got a car licence , no where on the form did it allow for that??

Tyecon

Well if you haven't got a car licence it's not taken in to account
Look at it this way they like to know your driving experience so if you've been an idiot in a car the chances are you will be an idiot on a bike that's the factor if you don't have a car licence then there's no factor

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Well if you haven't got a car licence it's not taken in to account
Look at it this way they like to know your driving experience so if you've been an idiot in a car the chances are you will be an idiot on a bike that's the factor if you don't have a car licence then there's no factor
If you've been an idiot in a car or bike your statement does not make sense as surely the points would go on your licence irrelevant of car or bike or am I missing something.

Tyecon

If you're using a bike insurance company for the first time they dont have those details at there disposal so that's why they ask for them

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Its a "Driving Licence" the vehicles it covers are on the back so a full motorcycle cover is class A where it will show the date you passed your test and the date it is valid to but the date on the front under 4b is the date the photograph is valid until which may be different

stikflote

Site Supporter
THEdate on front is date i passed my car test not my bike test ,
ive just checked GOVT licence i have all the qualifications for want of a better word ,just cant find my bike test date

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
the only time i have been questioned on the date i passed my bike and car tests

was for grandfather rights to drive a 7.5 ton GVW lorry,

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The dates on the front of the licence are your date of birth, the date the last licence was issued and the date the licence expires. The dates for the categories are on the back of the licence which are when you obtained your licence for a certain category and when your permission to drive that category of vehicle is due to expire.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve had bikes for 40 years and can never recall being asked for car licence details, some ask if you have access to another vehicle.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Ive had bikes around same from when i was 16 im now 78 and have three ,all three insure companys asked same questions about car licence.
the date on back of my licence are same as for my car ,does not show a different date for bikes

me

Ive got bike insurance so as the wife and neither of us have every been asked about car insurance. The wife doesnt have a car license .
All they ask is what type of license do you have , Full or provisional . I have a full car license but have to put provisional as i dont have a full bike license .
Further on it asks if you have access to any other vehicle ie car van ect , I put yes , wife puts no .

Any no claims ect gained in a car have no effect on a bike

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Any no claims ect gained in a car have no effect on a bike

Not if they're insured together but you can transfer ncb between vehicles, when I stopped riding I had 9 years ncb on the bike and nothing on a car as I drove as a named driver and didn't drive much, I transferred the 9 years bike ncb over to a car policy, there were only a couple of companies that did it though.