Big thumbs up to Chefster

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
I've joined the Tunnel Barn Vets now I've turned 60. I work weekends now and miss my club match fishing. The vets fish every Thursday which is perfect for me. I didn't want to roll up there and get battered from day 1 so I thought I'd need some advice and a bit/lot of tutorage on the pools and those shy biting F1's. Gary(chefster) had no hesitation in offering his experience and we arranged for a day out yesterday. What an eye opener!!. The venues I normally fish are not suited to shallow fishing and if I do fish shallow it's normally with a pellet wag. The shallow floats I did have were not suited to the venue and Gaz put me right on that, my deck rigs and margin rigs were fine.
We fished peg 21 and 23 on extension. Gaz was set up and ran through all his rigs with me. 4 shallow rigs set at 6, 12,and 18 inches plus a "deep" shallow rig. He also had a jigga set up. I was glad to see that his margin and deck rigs were basically the same as mine, both in shotting pattern and weight. He told me to start on top 3 whilst feeding a shallow line and proceeded to demonstrate his advice. His short line produced a few fish from the off and all the time Gaz was feeding maggots by hand to about 8-9 metres. It didn't take long for the swirling to start and Gaz went on it starting with the 18" rig but within minutes was missing "bites" explaining to me that they had come even shallower, and went straight to his 12" rig and was soon bagging. I'd been watching and listening for about 15/20 minute and he'd put about about 15lb in his net. I couldn't wait to get started! Did exactly the same as Gaz. Caught straight away on my deck rig and kept feeding the shallow line. That's when the problems started :rolleyes:. A few tangles, my bands were a little too big for fishing maggot, fine for casters, but not maggot and I was spending as much time out of the water as in it re-banding:oops: Gaz was constantly coming round offering his advice and putting me right. I do think though towards the end of the session (I hope Gaz would agree) I'd got a rhythm going and was catching a lot of fish. I ended up with over 100 lb of F1's and Gaz had about 250lb! considering he spent a lot of his time looking after me and were only there for about 5 hours, was amazing.o_O
A few tweaks that Gaz showed me, some suitable shallow floats, bands that hold the maggot correctly and a bit more practice and I'm ready to show them vets how to do it:whistle:
Thank you Gaz you're a gent. Very much appreciated and I really enjoyed the day(y)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
First time I've heard of maggots being banded.
Is there a definite advantage in banding rather than hooking them?

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
The idea is that you kill the maggot (the old trick of rolling it on your leg a few times). The fish don't chew/burst the maggot and you can use the same one to catch a number of fish without changing it. Similar to how the banded caster works.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I've joined the Tunnel Barn Vets now I've turned 60. I work weekends now and miss my club match fishing. The vets fish every Thursday which is perfect for me. I didn't want to roll up there and get battered from day 1 so I thought I'd need some advice and a bit/lot of tutorage on the pools and those shy biting F1's. Gary(chefster) had no hesitation in offering his experience and we arranged for a day out yesterday. What an eye opener!!. The venues I normally fish are not suited to shallow fishing and if I do fish shallow it's normally with a pellet wag. The shallow floats I did have were not suited to the venue and Gaz put me right on that, my deck rigs and margin rigs were fine.
We fished peg 21 and 23 on extension. Gaz was set up and ran through all his rigs with me. 4 shallow rigs set at 6, 12,and 18 inches plus a "deep" shallow rig. He also had a jigga set up. I was glad to see that his margin and deck rigs were basically the same as mine, both in shotting pattern and weight. He told me to start on top 3 whilst feeding a shallow line and proceeded to demonstrate his advice. His short line produced a few fish from the off and all the time Gaz was feeding maggots by hand to about 8-9 metres. It didn't take long for the swirling to start and Gaz went on it starting with the 18" rig but within minutes was missing "bites" explaining to me that they had come even shallower, and went straight to his 12" rig and was soon bagging. I'd been watching and listening for about 15/20 minute and he'd put about about 15lb in his net. I couldn't wait to get started! Did exactly the same as Gaz. Caught straight away on my deck rig and kept feeding the shallow line. That's when the problems started :rolleyes:. A few tangles, my bands were a little too big for fishing maggot, fine for casters, but not maggot and I was spending as much time out of the water as in it re-banding:oops: Gaz was constantly coming round offering his advice and putting me right. I do think though towards the end of the session (I hope Gaz would agree) I'd got a rhythm going and was catching a lot of fish. I ended up with over 100 lb of F1's and Gaz had about 250lb! considering he spent a lot of his time looking after me and were only there for about 5 hours, was amazing.o_O
A few tweaks that Gaz showed me, some suitable shallow floats, bands that hold the maggot correctly and a bit more practice and I'm ready to show them vets how to do it:whistle:
Thank you Gaz you're a gent. Very much appreciated and I really enjoyed the day(y)
Thanks for the mention Jim, glad you enjoyed the day, and hopefully learnt a bit,we will have catch-up soon and another day out mate, once you've fine tuned your gear , it's just down to practice mate ??

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
As Peter said, this is what the 'drowners' is all about(y)(y)(y)

carpole

What hook pattern would you recommend and does the maggot when banded sit very close to the bend of the hook?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
What hook pattern would you recommend and does the maggot when banded sit very close to the bend of the hook?
Personally I use an 18 B911 eyed and the band sits right on the bend of the hook ?