Big rudd

ben carvosso

I managed to get an inflatable on an unfished rudd lough. It a a big enough water. The side I have been fishing has rushes going out 50 to 80 yards into the lake and from what I can see it averaging 4 to 5 ft and fairly silty although it's clear if the silt isn't disturbed.

The reason for this thread is just regarding rudd behaviour. I haven't fished it at peak times, ie early morning late evening. The 2x quick sessions I've managed have been this week and it's been windy.

The small windows of wind dropping was when I set eyes on the fish. They seemed to be behaving a lot like mullet. Rolling, swimming with their backs out of the water, almost playing. A couple i saw roll really had me shaking. They were 2 to 3lb fish possibly bigger. Is this mulletish style behaviour something they do ?
They seemed to be on patrol routes and I would only get a bite when the wind calmed. No they maybe more responsive when I fish at weekend at dawn.

My first trip I put in a bucket of groundbait along with a tin or corn. There was still quite a lot left on the bottom when I fished today. So I have really just been sight fishing and trying to intercept them. I catted some crust out but that didn't het much response.

I suppose what I'm after is a little advice on tactics. Would you bait and wait or would you try and follow the fish? .

My local tench lake has thousands of rudd and I can't fish maggots or even single grains of corn as it gets mullered, so this is a far cry. But I suspect there isn't a huge population of fish and what is there are quality fish.

I've tried flake corn and worms. Maggots not easy to get at moment in west of ireland

Thanks

emmaemma

Site Supporter
That's one hell of a tench on your profile pic ben.
The only thing I could suggest is perhaps using floating casters or even floating maggots. The fact you are in an inflatable helps as you can follow the bait if you see any activity on this. Whatever you try, good luck.... (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If it’s not rammed with small ones I should think once you can get maggots that’ll be the answer but in the mean time I’d persevere with flake as seems to work well for them over here. It’s fun fishing from an inflatable isn’t it! Got one myself that I sometimes use on the Thames and it does give you a different perspective of the water.

ben carvosso

Thanks Emma was from last season
Been a bit slower on the tench front this year for obvious reasons. They don't grow so big in ireland. 8.2 is record
Yeah I bought the inflatable just for these rudd when I saw them rolling last year. No shore access.
I just picked up an electric engine just need to buy a battery... not cheap lol ....
Think gonna mail order some maggots. Even for durability for long casts to cover them from distance. They are super spooky.
Hopefully they feed a little better early morning.
Have any of you seen them behaving like mullet playing. Rolling and swimming with backs out of water ?
I'm used to seeing border of small rudd but rare enough to see big ones

ben carvosso

I'm really just hoping that they're not roach rudd hybrids which have are common place in ireland. Does anyone know if they display the same behaviour

DFL

Site Supporter
One of my favourite forms of fishing is for rudd up in the water. I have a club lake, Stonar in Kent that has some decent sized specimens. I wait until the water has properly warmed up, the rudd then move around in shoals feeding just below or even on the surface, the shoals come and go throughout the day.

i normally use a 6m whip and fish pellet waggler style, spraying pellets out every cast which gets their attention, unfortunately it can also attract carp which means changing to rod and line as they go well into double figures.

I have found larger baits single out the larger fish, maybe an 11mm pellet or a large lump of flake. Rudd are not known as bottom feeders but I have caught them on the deck too.

this one went just over2lb, yet to catch a 3lb.

ben carvosso

That's a cracking rudd. They are defo one of the most beautiful of coarse fish.
I've had them close to 2lb many many moons ago but not had the chance to fish for bigger ones in a long time.
They have nearly disappeared from irish waters being pushed out by roach and or hybridised. I'd be delighted with a 2lber although I'm secretly hoping for something larger as some of the fish I've seen rolling are proper chunks

Rick123

Site Supporter
Big fish are not always difficult to catch, if they are in the water in the first place? We found a lake in Norfolk that produced Rudd to 3lb 6oz, my best was 2lb 12oz from that place. Have a look at John Wilsons on You-Tube Rudd fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That is a stunning fish! I’ve had roach about that size but my best rudd is not much bigger than half of that.

squimp

Site Supporter
Do a google search and try and find articles about Pete Evans and Kevin Clifford fishing Annaghmoor (spelling?) loch. I can’t remember how they caught the big Rudd in there.

I've caught some huge fish from a Welsh lake and they all came fishing hard on the bottom and mostly in the dark or at first light. Mostly on corn or bread flake.

the guys who target the fish in the Bedfordshire/Cambs pits often use small ( 6-8mm) Sweet Boilies.

ben carvosso

Annaghmore.. lovely lake. I have terry lampards last cast and there is a chapter on those lakes.
Sadly roach in them now too.
But would love to read about Clifford and Evans exploits.

squimp

Site Supporter
I’ll have a look in my ‘library’.

I think there is a chapter in ‘big fish scene’ or maybe ‘Top 10’.

stop press: it’s not in either of those.....if I find it will let you know.

ben carvosso

I’ll have a look in my ‘library’.

I think there is a chapter in ‘big fish scene’ or maybe ‘Top 10’.

stop press: it’s not in either of those.....if I find it will let you know.
Really appreciate it

Thanks

Ringe

Site Supporter
Hi Ben,
in a similar scenario last year I dropped anchor and started catapulting a few casters regularly with the wind on my back. This drew the fish towards us and over time the bigger fish moved in. I appreciate casters may be at a premium right now and stocking levels may be different but this worked for us - either way, what a great conundrum to have to crack!

ben carvosso

Yeah ordering gallon of maggots tomorrow
Gonna freeze some. Turn some and use the rest

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I really hope you succeed and they are pure rudd, because they are such a beautiful fish.

rudd

Site Supporter
Small dumpy weighted crystal waggler a long length of line to a /10/12/14 with fresh brade flake fished on the drop.

Ringe

Site Supporter
I managed to get an inflatable on an unfished rudd lough. It a a big enough water. The side I have been fishing has rushes going out 50 to 80 yards into the lake and from what I can see it averaging 4 to 5 ft and fairly silty although it's clear if the silt isn't disturbed.

The reason for this thread is just regarding rudd behaviour. I haven't fished it at peak times, ie early morning late evening. The 2x quick sessions I've managed have been this week and it's been windy.

The small windows of wind dropping was when I set eyes on the fish. They seemed to be behaving a lot like mullet. Rolling, swimming with their backs out of the water, almost playing. A couple i saw roll really had me shaking. They were 2 to 3lb fish possibly bigger. Is this mulletish style behaviour something they do ?
They seemed to be on patrol routes and I would only get a bite when the wind calmed. No they maybe more responsive when I fish at weekend at dawn.

My first trip I put in a bucket of groundbait along with a tin or corn. There was still quite a lot left on the bottom when I fished today. So I have really just been sight fishing and trying to intercept them. I catted some crust out but that didn't het much response.

I suppose what I'm after is a little advice on tactics. Would you bait and wait or would you try and follow the fish? .

My local tench lake has thousands of rudd and I can't fish maggots or even single grains of corn as it gets mullered, so this is a far cry. But I suspect there isn't a huge population of fish and what is there are quality fish.

I've tried flake corn and worms. Maggots not easy to get at moment in west of ireland

Thanks
Come on Ben, this is killing us - how are you getting on?

2lbRoach2hand

Ben, I've fished for rudd in quite a few places and a big Rudd is the most majestic of fish. I fish in the North of Ireland and we have a few places up here where I have been fortunate enough to have had a few fish over 2lb and 3 over 3lb! Rudd like the surface layers. Not a big believer in groundbait for them at all unless it's really sloppy. Loose feed with maggots or corn and use the same on the hook. Try squeezing the corn out of the kernel to make a corn skin that flutters through the water too. Bread paste can also work well on the hook and I mean a lump of it for bigger fish! Fish shallow with a waggler. A pole over their heads spooks them bigtime. I wouldn't dream of fishing over one and a half foot to two foot depth for them. Nice short float like a stumpy crystal and feather it in with the loose feed. Hoping you catch and I'd love to know where you have found this Lough! Good luck and tight lines mate :)