Big Rudd on Blackberries - Rich Wilby

Silver fan 82

Great stuff. Going after big rudd somewhere like the cam or similar is something I’d really like to try some day. Only caught one over a pound myself.
My biggest is probably just short of a pound (I really should weigh more fish). I think a rudd of over 2lb is a really nice fish!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My biggest is probably just short of a pound (I really should weigh more fish). I think a rudd of over 2lb is a really nice fish!
Yeah I hardly weigh anything these days either. Can't remember the last Rudd I caught over even 10oz would have been a few years ago, they seem way more susceptible to stunting than roach.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Rudd are quite rare around my ends I think, nowhere to really target them, good watch!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They are in most lakes around here, just a few in most but targetable numbers in others, just not many that they get particularly big in.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Rich's videos are great. He's very knowledgeable, not pretentious & you can see he really loves his fishing.
He's another great YouTube contributor.
My two biggest Rudd came from the Shannon.
The Old Banagher Match Pegs upstream of the town & to the left of the Back Water entrance on the feeder in May 1989 or 1990.
Cracking fish of 2lb 4oz weighed on the Club Scales & no pictures which I really regret.
Next best was on the Meelick Back Water on maggots shallow waggler fishing & that fish went 1lb 14oz in August 2007.
They can be caught by boat at the back of the Island upstream on the Shannon where the River Brosna meets the Shannon River on the edge of the Lily Pads.
John Wilson catches a Cracker Rudd at Meelick Weir in this one: