BIG roach ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwt4

I went fishing today for carp,and caught roach,they were huge as far as I was concerned,I dont normally fish for them, and I haven't seen them this big ever,the smallest was 10ozs and the biggest was exactly 1lb I had them on 10mm boilies hair rigged, and they were pulling the line off on my bait runners. I had eight before the carp moved them off I suppose, as they stopped and the carp started to bite,my question to those who fish for roach is, are these bigger than average or normal.[?]

darrengeorge

speci-ish
A 1lb roach is a nice fish, 1lb 8oz a cracking fish, 2lb the stuff of dreams, so yeah, bigger than average. - but then it depends on the venue.

vwt4

A club water which has a mixed bag and is getting better every year.

BarryC

vwt4 seems your club has found a nice mixed species balance wish some comercial waters would do the same. Try targeting the roach you may be surprised at the results and may even be disapointed if the carp push them out.

crowder

maybe they were not roach mate, i was catching big roach like fish last week, and it turned out they were ide, i wouldnt have known if the baliff hadnt told me,[}:)]

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Roach have a deeper body when they start pushing 1lb in size, and their fins seem to become an even more distinctive red, there are loads more differences too, like if your lucky, a really blue shimmering back, Ide are wannabe chub [:p]

Only saying that because ive never caught an Ide lol

tomownz182

i was fishing for carp last week and fort i was pulling out big roach on sweetcorn but they turned out to be ide except for one which was alot more golden in colour

vwt4

No these were roach, like adymon said the 1lb one was getting deeper in the belly, and blood red fins,a much bigger version of the smaller ones, and I was dissapointed to tell the truth when they stopped biting,never saw them this big before..

Ady

Formerly Adymon
About 4 years ago, me and my mates used to fish the canal, there is a bridge that pumps warm water out from the powerstation, we sat on a little wall of it just over the water.

Maggots in, nice perch out, nice roach, and the odd big chub of about 4lb that would wrench the rod out of your hands. However one day my mate hit into a roach that we thought was a chub, it was an absolute animal, we got a photo but i lost it.

I dont know wether it was 2lb plus, or wether we were younger, smaller, and it wasnt actually that big?

All i know is we talked about it for days, weeks, summers...im even talking about it now.

Since then roach of 1lb rarely make an appearance and only for the experienced old men that fish caster on the pole from 6am to 10am every morning :)

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
What club water was you fishing Steve because if its Newport then both Morgans and Woodstock have a good healthy head of "bagging" roach round the size your talking of???

perksy2007

Perksy
himley hall fishery, just outside of Wolverhampton has some huge roach lerking around init. i have observed blokes fishing it just for the roach with very small bollies and have roach over 3lb now thats what i call a roach!!!

vwt4

Not newport, Glamorgan anglers BB,caught loads to about 6oz there,even asked you for advice on catching them last year, but havent seen them this big before,and on boilies as well,and tell Muskie in the rain as well..This club water has a nice head of carp 20lb+ grassies 20lb+ bream 10lb 1 pike 15lb big eels, and some percha and a massive bag of silverfish.the club put hi viz net and ropes to deter cormrants this winter and the consensus was it seems to be working..

Status
Not open for further replies.