Big Roach nostalgia.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'm sorry guys I cannot get this to be around the right was, I'm a muppet when it comes to theses things. This roach weighed 2lb 15oz, my second biggest and came with a 2lb 10oz fish later in the day. 40 years on I feel its still a big roach for a river fish, and would get a shout in the papers. Funny at the time it was just another big roach from the Wensum, fun or what?

img_1030-jpg.90121

Attachments

• IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 80

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Lovely fish Rick

I didn't start coarse fishing until the late 1970s.
This morning I was flicking through a fish (not fishing) book that I was given early on
Amazon product
Under roach it mentioned UDN in the early 60s. Ulcerative Dermal Necrosis of roach.
I'd read about it before in match fishing books about the Trent at the time (Marks and Ashurst).

It got me thinking about whether the large roach of your exploits could be related to a thinning of the population due to disease in the preceding years?
ie. the inverse of stunting due to overpopulation.
Any thoughts on that in Norfolk?

squimp

Site Supporter
Great stuff.

Having read Bailey, Wilson et al; those were heady days on the Wensum.

Rick123

Site Supporter
One of the biggest things we noticed at that time was the lack of follow through fish NCP. Most of the fish were simply big, and not half as many chub or barbel at the time. I was quite young in truth back then, and maybe didn't have the brainpower to work things out. But the cormorants were not about then at all if I remember correctly. I think it was a moment in time, just nature. These relatively shallow rivers ( like the Witham I have close to home and Wensum ) are easy pray for the Black Death, how anything survives I really don't know. You mention the Trent, well that's an enigma to me. Everyone tells me how good the silver fishing is, and its true looking at the match result. But I find it hard, and the bigger fish elude me. I am sure that certain parts fish better for silvers than others, why, I honestly don't know. I don't fish at night anymore, and that could be a big part of why I don't catch the bigger roach, the Trent is getting clearer every year.