Big River Fishing, Tons of slack line curving in the wind.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Allow me to elaborate a little bit.

Yesterday I went onto a big river and on that particular day it was extremely windy, Everytime I cast my feeder out the wind would take tons and tons of slack line the way the wind was blowing which on this occasion was left of where my feeder hit creating a ( pattern, This made is extremely awkward to tighten my line and I feared I was moving my feeder around while trying to tighten my line, in the end I virtually gave up on the river and packed it up..

Not sure if I was doing anything wrong here but I couldn't work out a solution for the life of me. I do intend of fishing this river again but its always very, very windy with a heavy current. Any solution to this?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
There is. Feather the line on the spool edge with your finger as it leaves and then dab it as your feeder is about to hit the water. It will not only stop the line issue, but also straightens things out as the rig lands.-Hooklength mainly.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Use a smaller but heavier feeder cast slightly into the direction of the wind not directly across it and if that and the above do not work fish closer,not a lot of point in fishing at maximum range if you cant repeat it accurately.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I had the same issue on the Trent yesterday. Feathering the line solved the problem.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I had the same issue on the Trent yesterday. Feathering the line solved the problem.

Awesome, didn't even know about this technique but then again I've never really fished big rivers like this.
Will give it a go next time I'm down there which is soon, hopefully.

Thanks fellas.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@RedRidingHood

It won't make the line dead straight, but you won't get the big bow in the line either. Also, get used to how the wind affects your rod top, then if it does anything different, it's a bite.