Big perch

Cmatues

Ive fished my club water every winter for a few years now and fished the canals around liverpool but can't seem to locate any big ones. Anyone want to point me in the direction of bigger perch around the North west. Cheers

Rick123

Site Supporter
I've found perch one of the most difficult of big fish. In the last few years, mine have turned up by accident while roach fishing with maggots or worm. You need to turn into your local match scene, they hide nothing. I'd imagine Facebook will have the equivalent to Lincolnshire match fishing. Big perch can tuen up at the weighting, then you will at least have recent first hand information.

Attachments

• IMGP0542.JPG
    IMGP0542.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 8

Cmatues

I've found perch one of the most difficult of big fish. In the last few years, mine have turned up by accident while roach fishing with maggots or worm. You need to turn into your local match scene, they hide nothing. I'd imagine Facebook will have the equivalent to Lincolnshire match fishing. Big perch can tuen up at the weighting, then you will at least have recent first hand information.
Very good idea I will have to have a look. Cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No idea about that neck of the woods but generally when you find the silvers and you'll find the big perch not far behind. I've fluked loads of 2s and a couple 3s maggot fishing for silvers then once you find them a small live bait usually gets an instant big un. I've netted a few 4s for others doing that trick.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
A 3lbs Perch in the North West is like a 5lbs Perch in the South, as with most fishing in England - it gets better the lower you go.

The next important thing to understand is - some stretches canals do have them, and some do not, the first challenge is to uncover that information, you can piece together scattered research, but there's nothing like legwork.

I've spent all year focused on 2 canals, the Bridgewater Canal & the Trend and Mersey Canal.

I can category confirm from over 200 hours of first hand experience this year - from using lures of all sizes, from ultralight finesse tactics casting 1g, to power fishing all the way up to 20g, and bobber fishing with worms from HUGE Canadian Nightcrawlers to Dendrobaena of all sizes... that the stretches of the Bridgewater Canal between Lymm and Sale - do not contain Perch over 1lbs in 2020.

On the contrary, I can confirm from similar efforts on the Trent and Mersey Canal that the stretches between Preston Brook and Northwich - do contain Perch "at least" up to 2lbs, but they are not prolific and are not easy.

I intend to spend a fair amount of time on the River Dane this winter, around Holmes Chapel - where by all accounts I should find some nice Perch, and from my own leg work I also see the Peover Eye as a good prospect which produced some interesting results whilst I was out there looking for Trout, as for canals I'm going to move my efforts towards the Macclesfield Canal and the Peak Forrest Canal.

Something I've learned - is that it's WAY harder to target these fish than people will make out, many actually come as by-catches from silver anglers - but for those of us who want to go out and target them, there really is no "go here and you'll catch them" up here, like there is down South on the Kennet and Avon Canal, or the Thames for example... it's actually quite a difficult challenge in the North West, but then again... arn't they all?

Last edited:

endpeg

Most commercials contain big Perch I've had three 3lb+ fish from different commercials in the NW all in matches and all on Casters!

Cmatues

A 3lbs Perch in the North West is like a 5lbs Perch in the South, as with most fishing in England - it gets better the lower you go.

The next important thing to understand is - some stretches canals do have them, and some do not, the first challenge is to uncover that information, you can piece together scattered research, but there's nothing like legwork.

I've spent all year focused on 2 canals, the Bridgewater Canal & the Trend and Mersey Canal.

I can category confirm from over 200 hours of first hand experience this year - from using lures of all sizes, from ultralight finesse tactics casting 1g, to power fishing all the way up to 20g, and bobber fishing with worms from HUGE Canadian Nightcrawlers to Dendrobaena of all sizes... that the stretches of the Bridgewater Canal between Lymm and Sale - do not contain Perch over 1lbs in 2020.

On the contrary, I can confirm from similar efforts on the Trent and Mersey Canal that the stretches between Preston Brook and Northwich - do contain Perch "at least" up to 2lbs, but they are not prolific and are not easy.

I intend to spend a fair amount of time on the River Dane this winter, around Holmes Chapel - where by all accounts I should find some nice Perch, and from my own leg work I also see the Peover Eye as a good prospect which produced some interesting results whilst I was out there looking for Trout, as for canals I'm going to move my efforts towards the Macclesfield Canal and the Peak Forrest Canal.

Something I've learned - is that it's WAY harder to target these fish than people will make out, many actually come as by-catches from silver anglers - but for those of us who want to go out and target them, there really is no "go here and you'll catch them" up here, like there is down South on the Kennet and Avon Canal, or the Thames for example... it's actually quite a difficult challenge in the North West, but then again... arn't they all?
I know the birdgewater holds some biguns as I know someone who fishes it but locating as you say is tricky.
Ive also heard Holmes Chapel is good for a big one.

Cmatues

Most commercials contain big Perch I've had three 3lb+ fish from different commercials in the NW all in matches and all on Casters!
Yeah I know of a few waters that hold them, supposedly Hampton springs and Whitmore i will try these but for now would like a river or canal perch

Fartacus

Site Supporter
The only difficult thing fishing for big perch are finding them and that is harder than you think......

rudd

Site Supporter
The rule to finding big Perch is to fish where you dont think they will live.
Commercials, farm ponds, feeder streams.
Best bait by far - Prawns.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t beat a tiny livebait for me. If a big perch is there it’ll be an almost instant take. Here’s a few that have fallen to such methods, first two to chublets the third I think to a bleak if I recall.
1602144778390.jpeg
1602144810134.jpeg
1602144853574.jpeg

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Can’t beat a tiny livebait for me. If a big perch is there it’ll be an almost instant take. Here’s a few that have fallen to such methods, first two to chublets the third I think to a bleak if I recall.
1602144778390.jpeg
1602144810134.jpeg
1602144853574.jpeg

Nice Perch.

I swear to god, all the work I've put in this year and only 1 decent'ish fish to show for it, if I don't have a good winter I'm going to be furious.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice Perch.

I swear to god, all the work I've put in this year and only 1 decent'ish fish to show for it, if I don't have a good winter I'm going to be furious.
Yeah they are amongst the best (that I have photos of) from the last few years. First couple were about 4 years ago the third last year. I havent specifically fished for them at all this year (been very much on the roach instead and you don’t tend to catch perch on hemp ?) so the below is as about as big as I’ve had recently lol
1602146794423.jpeg
All the big ones I’ve ever had have come May to October though as they follow the roach, dace, bleak etc so once they become harder to find when it gets cold so do the perch.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Nice Perch.

Try the shroppie around Beeston castle or Grindley brook. Also Llangollen canal.
Stillwaters include Hampton Springs and Loyds Meadow.
Three good stretches on the Bridgewater Canal are,
Get on the canal in Lymm village, walk away from village towards Lymm Cruising club, the boats moored along that stretch and past it to the turning basin hold good perch.
Go past turnining basin towards Dog Bridge ( Oughtrington Bridge) there are boats moored up prior to the bridge, try there.
The other stretch is at Walton just past sports club.
Park canal side just past Warrington sports club. Get on canal bank ,turn left towards Stockton Heath, the features along that stretch hold some decent perch. A roving approach along all those stretches should produce.

Last edited:

rudd

Site Supporter
Yeah they are amongst the best (that I have photos of) from the last few years. First couple were about 4 years ago the third last year. I havent specifically fished for them at all this year (been very much on the roach instead and you don’t tend to catch perch on hemp ?) so the below is as about as big as I’ve had recently lol
1602146794423.jpeg
All the big ones I’ve ever had have come May to October though as they follow the roach, dace, bleak etc so once they become harder to find when it gets cold so do the perch.
None if your catches look washed out or silvery? Are they all river fish? All have a golden tinge?
I know some on here catch Purple Perch way up North over the border.

rudd

Site Supporter

The Trent and Mersey has a Zander problem?
Was told that by anglers on the Burton / Barton stretch, they thought the Zander had decimated the Perch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
None if your catches look washed out or silvery? Are they all river fish? All have a golden tinge?
I know some on here catch Purple Perch way up North over the border.
Yep those ones are all Thames fish. I have caught plenty of big perch from Stillwaters and a few from canals but none have been as nice looking as those from the clearer water in rivers.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
The Trent and Mersey has a Zander problem?
Was told that by anglers on the Burton / Barton stretch, they thought the Zander had decimated the Perch.

Haha well, I'm always hesitant to call Zander a "problem", but yes I am aware of the Zander in it.

It's a big canal and is essentially formed by 2 -
Northern Trent and Mersey: little/no Zander .
Southern Trent and Mersey: plenty of Zander according to reports.

I really don't buy into the whole x-fish decimated by Zander thing, I'm no marine biologist - but I don't really see how they could have any more of an impact on the ecosystem than Pike - for example.

rudd

Site Supporter
Haha well, I'm always hesitant to call Zander a "problem", but yes I am aware of the Zander in it.

It's a big canal and is essentially formed by 2 -
Northern Trent and Mersey: little/no Zander .
Southern Trent and Mersey: plenty of Zander according to reports.

I really don't buy into the whole x-fish decimated by Zander thing, I'm no marine biologist - but I don't really see how they could have any more of an impact on the ecosystem than Pike - for example.
Spent a few hours flogging TandM with lures around Barton turns.
No Zander,.Perch or Pike ?
Think they had all moved into Brason water park or the trent! ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Having a Perching day this weekend hopefully... club lake, Prawns with maggots... given that there are carp in the water I may take some heavier gear just in case I get carped out....