Big/mini pit baitrunner under £60

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Looking to get my dad a proper size baitrunner for Barbel fishing to be used with 10-15lb mono.

Can't afford to buy him 5500 shimmy LC's like mine but have seen a few options.

Mitchell Avocet FS6500 Black Edition

Okuma DAXP 6000 baitfeeder

Or a used Wychwood exorcist

Anyone have experience of any of these? Possibly will pair with a 12ft 2lb Korum barbel rod.

squimp

Site Supporter
Does he really need mini big pit reels ?

On that sort of budget I would buy old Shimano 4000 or 4500 baitrunners second hand.

Mine still work just fine from new and are big/strong enough to land any barbel (or carp for that matter).

rd115

Site Supporter
He likes the size of my shimmy 5500 baitrunners after using one last night. He currently has a Daiwa Emcast LT in 5000 and it has nothing but problems with anything over 10lb line on it, line lay is atrocious. So resigning that one to the scrapheap methinks.

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
My fishing buddy had the Mitchells, lasted a year the "fighting drag" just kept slipping letting the spool spin at intervals bumping a lot of fish.
I've personally had problems with drags on a pair of okumas i owned, but i know a lot of people who swear by them.

I suggested he replaced them with these (he's very happy with them) £35-45

or my spare carp/barbel reels are these (can be found for £50-£60):

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don't think you'd go wrong with the shimano above, have had the odd play with those in go outdoors and they do feel pretty good.

Only baitrunner I have which happens to be about the same price is a fox stratos (think the eos is the current version) and whilst I admittedly don't use it often it does seem fairly decent. Got 10 or 12lb (cant remember which) mono on one spool and 30lb braid on the other. It doesn't seem to cast particularly well but the baitrunner function, clutch and cranking power feel pretty decent.

rd115

Site Supporter
Don't think you'd go wrong with the shimano above, have had the odd play with those in go outdoors and they do feel pretty good.

Only baitrunner I have which happens to be about the same price is a fox stratos (think the eos is the current version) and whilst I admittedly don't use it often it does seem fairly decent. Got 10 or 12lb (cant remember which) mono on one spool and 30lb braid on the other. It doesn't seem to cast particularly well but the baitrunner function, clutch and cranking power feel pretty decent.

I have a pair of EOS 10000 baitrunners kicking about but lost confidence since the baitrunner knob broke on one (don't recall dropping it or it getting banged about)

I do have a couple of Mivardi Omicron FS coming tomorrow for my pike rods, if they're too heavy and bulky for him (700g+) ill buy the ST RB shimmy for him.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have a pair of EOS 10000 baitrunners kicking about but lost confidence since the baitrunner knob broke on one (don't recall dropping it or it getting banged about)

I do have a couple of Mivardi Omicron FS coming tomorrow for my pike rods, if they're too heavy and bulky for him (700g+) ill buy the ST RB shimmy for him.

Must confess I have no idea how robust the fox is mines only been used about about dozen times for about as many fish. They were quite good workouts for it though!

Do think the shimano is a safer bet though 👍🏻

Simon R

Site Supporter
For the OP's price guideline you can't knock this reel...(y).....And even cheaper here. (6000 size);)

Shimano Baitrunner ST RB Reel
That's the reel I own - 6000 size - bought from the same shop too
It's a perfectly adequate reel - it's not the smoothest reel I own but it's a long way from being the roughest.
Casts and retrieves OK
Spools up nicely - put some backing on first - it takes a LOT of line to fill it.

Use mine mainly for pike fishing and not had any issues with it - plenty of power as you'd expect from a reel of that size.
Nice understated matt black, looks expensive when sat on the rests if that sort of thing is important to you.

Nearest the camera on picture below
Pike Cup - Grange Farm 007a.jpg

Simon

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Wychwood QD550 are nice... got a pair for barbel or carp fishing... nice reel comes with a spare spool too.... £59

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
What made you sell the Ultegra and keep the LC?

I know Baitrunner is the obvious answer but is that because you couldn't get on with the Ultegra quick drag?
The "actual Baitrunner" is the only thing I see making somebody take the LC, but with the quick drag on the Ultegra that's kind of negated, especially as open bails / line clips and rear indicators are now the "in thing" on the banks.

I keep hovering over the buy button on the Ci4+ Ultegra 5500 XTC, and then looking over at the Ci4+ Baitrunner 5500 LC XTB, and wondering why rd115 kept the latter :unsure:

rd115

Site Supporter
What made you sell the Ultegra and keep the LC?

I know Baitrunner is the obvious answer but is that because you couldn't get on with the Ultegra quick drag?
The "actual Baitrunner" is the only thing I see making somebody take the LC, but with the quick drag on the Ultegra that's kind of negated, especially as open bails / line clips and rear indicators are now the "in thing" on the banks.

I keep hovering over the buy button on the Ci4+ Ultegra 5500 XTC, and then looking over at the Ci4+ Baitrunner 5500 LC XTB, and wondering why rd115 kept the latter :unsure:

Simple explanation, had other expenses and needed the money 😀

Once in a better situation and I can learn to plan my spending and be less hasty when I see something new and shiny, I'll likely get another pair of Ultegras.

Only use for my LC baitrunners is because they're on Barbel rods, cant really fish open bail arm and drop offs or clips when weed running into the line. Could use Ultegras i suppose but the baitrunner function is more micro adjustable than a quick drag when finding the right tension to stop the line running off and alarms bleeping without going too tight and getting the rods pulled in 😁

On pike rods the baitrunner doesn't matter too much as fish mainly stillwater, if river fishing it'll be a nearside slack.

I actually prefer a quick drag on my reels too, I've modified all my reels into quick drag, even the Prorex XR 😉

I'm even mulling over getting a 2nd 3020PEA before they're completely unobtanium and using those as my deadbait reels. Would make for a really light roving setup. Reels are small but built for hauling big pike anyway, and as mentioned I dont need a massive cast. Ultegras were really for cranking power and a bit o' bling.

Last edited: