Big maggots

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm usually quite happy with the quality of maggots I get, never paying to much attention to them as they seem a standard size, the same size I've got when I've ordered from Willy Worms. A few plump ones and a few smaller ones in the same batch.

But... my dad has just picked me up 4 pints of mixed maggots from a tackle shop in Kings Heath near my brother. I presume Kings Heath angling. And these are the best quality maggots I've ever seen. All of them the same size as what are usually the odd bigger one, really big maggots. They're a different batch of mixed, different colours to the ones from my usual shops. So that's added to my excitement about going fishing tomorrow, saying that I'll probably jinx it. Added a liberal amount of maize flour to them to stop them escaping in the fridge again overnight.

So how are the quality of your maggots? I'd read posts on here previously that lockdown might have effected the quality. I will still go to my old shops, but seeing maggots so plump and fresh has made me think maybe I should be paying more attention to the quality of my bait.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They were a bit small at times in the first month or so after lockdown but have been pretty standard size since about the start of July.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yup, not exactly wasp grubs but all a nice uniform plumpness. Think it was in a Bob Nudd video he mentions 'always pick out the plumpest maggot for the hook'. That's what I do usually but doesn't look like I'll have to choose tomorrow.

Silver fan 82

Yup, not exactly wasp grubs but all a nice uniform plumpness. Think it was in a Bob Nudd video he mentions 'always pick out the plumpest maggot for the hook'. That's what I do usually but doesn't look like I'll have to choose tomorrow.
Yeah I recall Bob saying that in one of his videos, "I'm just looking for the fattest maggots, not for me, for the fish". Love Bob Nudd lol!
Good luck tomorrow mate.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I generally find that maggots from an old established shop tend to be better than from other outlets. If whoever looks after the bait doesn't really know what they are doing, good bait can be ruined quickly before it even leaves the shop. Nothing seems to beat many years of experience when it comes to keeping fresh maggots or turning casters.

Where I find maggots that are particularly small, I invariably suspect that the shop is selling older maggots. If the sizes aren't reasonably uniform, they might be mixing newer deliveries with older ones. Just to confuse the issue, you'll generally find that dyed maggots will shrink more quickly than plain old whites. However, sometimes you find that coloured maggots might not be quite as fresh and young direct from the suppliers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’m sure the two more local tackle shops I usually use, at least until the more established one closes down soon, use the same supplier as the mixed maggots are the same with a few blue ones thrown in.

They’re not bad just not as plump and uniform as these. Never had much confidence in blue maggots anyway.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I get mine from the local maggot farm, so they are fresh but not feed on any I'd guess. Once cleaned they look good, I use sawdust as it cleans the bait best. You can also wet the sawdust and get they really clean and ready for a flavour. Mine have lasted for two weeks and don't smell or look too bad to be honest. I'll use them up tomorrow, brought two weekends ago. They do get a bit hard skinned, good really?

Many may remember Gozzers? Really big maggots that would eat a small bird, like a Robin? :love: :love: :love:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
True gozzers were never that big but very soft like a wasp grub, the fly that produced them is not much bigger than a greenbottle but the term was often used for describing special maggots bred on lots of fish as they were soft and grew big but very quickly shrank as the lost the water out of them.The other big maggots came from beef that had been full of steroids.
In the 90s one bait farm experimented with other types of fly but they were forced to stop as producing stuff like that in commercial quantities could cause an ecological disaster.
Sour bran specials bred on milk were also popular for a while which looked like a giant squatt but still smaller than decent commercial maggot.
The biggest maggot you are likely to find in a tub are clock beetle larvae which look just like a giant maggot probably twice the size of normal but I found the fish were not keen on them on the few times I tried them.
The colour of any feed spot is a good indication of freshness but maggots bred mostly on chicken dont have a black feed spot so its harder to see unless you burst the maggot.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
KC Angling had fantastic maggots. Charlie reckoned they got them from the funeral parlour next door.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Go to Smithys mate, his maggots are superb, I always noticed they were bigger than most places aswell and he turns his own casters, bit closer than Kings heath.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Go to Smithys mate, his maggots are superb, I always noticed they were bigger than most places aswell and he turns his own casters, bit closer than Kings heath.

I went to that one before on your recommendation and was impressed, liked the way he sells ready cooked bags of hemp from the freezer, remember the maggots being nice there too so might be using the same supplier.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I think Jim Burton is the maggot boy in Smithy's these days ... at least part time.
Yes - Jim Burton formerly of Matchbox.

I also didn't put 2 and 2 together that Smithy's is Clive Smith's former shop - run now by his son Scott.

A lot of the outlets in the Midlands used to be supplied by Lane's bait - don't know if that is still the case?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Did anybody see the report on a company that produces beetle maggots to feed chickens ? the whole operation was self contained in a unit and computer controlled feeding and rotation on a mini conveyor belt.
I think it was on BBC news.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
These maggots were as good as I thought yesterday, found every maggot I picked up was perfect for the hook and a great Chub bait. Not had them this size before. Better than Willy Worms if that's anything to go by. Kings Heath Angling. Maybe I got lucky but will be trying them again as it's next to my brothers house.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
If you buy direct from the grower aim to get the ones that are crawling up the corners of the pit if possible. These will be the largest. They are the maggots that usually go to the tackle shop that buys the most, more money more quality. As said before anything with a big feed spot and softer skin will be fresher.