Big Floats

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
20g must be a beast of a float. :)

Hopefully get me through the Bleak if I use a heavier float? It's very disappointing when you go for a day float fishing on the Severn and your float doesn't settle because of them. Could change bait of course too
What size bulk have you tried to get through them?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What size bulk have you tried to get through them?
I've been using 6 no 4 floats so far, with a bulk shot down the line too, but plan to step up to around 10 no 4 or more, if I remember my float weights correctly.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just emptied out my river fishing float tube and this is my modest collection so far, got a good range of sizes to choose from, at first I thought I'd bought too many big floats but think I'll put them to use this year.

2021-03-02 10.39.22.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've been using 6 no 4 floats so far, with a bulk shot down the line too, but plan to step up to around 10 no 4 or more, if I remember my float weights correctly.
Ah yeah 6 4s would be a lost cause in bleak season here, got a chance with 10 4s though. Flipping things have seen me resort to some proper crude double bulk rigs to get through them with one bulk about a foot below the float and another about a foot above the hook. Typically each bulk made up of a couple bb or 3 or 4 no1. Basically making olivettes out of shot I guess. Lower bulk is obviously for bombing through and the upper one to quickly cock the float so you can instantly see whether you’ve made it through or not rather than waste your time fishing a chewed bait.

Not the nicest rigs to fish with so I’m always glad when hemp works or when the bleak start slowing down so can use more delicate rigs. The bulk rigs don’t seem to harm getting the bites from proper fish but they can make hitting bites awkward if the fish come up a bit so they’re not always ideal. Still you don’t have a choice but to use them at times.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've mentioned I've been using a bulk rig before just because it's less likely to tangle while I get used to it. :LOL:

These floats I bought going up to 12x4 and I looked at them when I bought them and wondered why I'd bothered but now I can see they will have a use and when the river is up I might have to go even heavier.

2021-03-02 10.45.26.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Are these big floats you've bought not in the picture?
Well yeah, no Bolo floats. Those no1 insert sticks go up to 14x4 and I bought up to 12x4 which isn't big by any stretch of the imagination, but seeing as I only really float fish the Severn in Summer, 12x4 is reasonably big haha.

There are up to 5SSG Speci Wags and 8x Chubber floats in there though.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Well yeah, no Bolo floats. Those no1 insert sticks go up to 14x4 and I bought up to 12x4 which isn't big by any stretch of the imagination, but seeing as I only really float fish the Severn in Summer, 12x4 is reasonably big haha.
As stick floats go, it's big, but it's still not a big float.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I got caught out trying to fish when the river was up with something like a 10x4 stick float, way too light as I found out even though I was just fishing a slack down the edge, I think that's when I 'd need 5g+ floats if I was brave enough to try fishing when the river is up again, as it brings in loads of other challenges like finding the fish and feeding.

adriang

Site Supporter
I used the 4 and then 6 gm DH alloy stem on Sunday. Probably the heaviest float I've ever put down a river. Rather like you mentioned in your first post, I've also been experimenting with heavier floats this season.

IMG_6475.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thinking about it, last season being my first real season on the Severn, I only had probably 5 sessions on the float out of about 15, so I look forward to rectifying that this season.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I used the 4 and then 6 gm DH alloy stem on Sunday. Probably the heaviest float I've ever put down a river. Rather like you mentioned in your first post, I've also been experimenting with heavier floats this season.

IMG_6475.jpg
That looks very smart 👍🏻

I like relatively big sticks (not real big though) as well even on our placid river as I like the control and range they give and flexibility shotting wise.