Big Floats

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What are the biggest floats that you use for general coarse fishing?

Reason for making this thread, I bought a load of Speci Wagglers earlier this year and have one sat in front of me on my desk that is 5SSG. It strikes me as a beast of a float that I could probably hit the far bank of the Severn with should I wish. I also have some nice sized Loafer, Bobber and Stick floats and plan to experiment with using heavier floats than I might usually go for this year. Though I don't have any Bolo floats.

I also bought some Drake Slider floats, only size that was in stock, Length : 13", Gm: 7.2+2.4, Tip: Red/Yellow, and again they are beasts of floats.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Some 5SSG home made wagglers occasionally see action along with the same weight loafers. Most of my Bolo's are 3 to 6g but do have some to 10g. Crowquill Toppers to 20BB.

The Drake floats are my go to sliders and I use them in 9", 11" and 13" I also have some home made versions to about 20g. Apart from their traditional role I also use them as fixed wagglers if the conditions are rough.

Also using the shorter 9" version I will sometimes slide only 12/15" in 7 or 8' depth as as there is no resistance on the strike.

Silure

Site Supporter
never used anything like this but they go up to 10 grms 111178-a.jpg

squimp

Site Supporter
Ive just bought some 10g pellet wagglers and am looking for some much bigger ones !

I make big river trotting floats up to 8 or 10g also.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Probably the LocSlide No3 waggler, 300mm in length.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not very big at all. Use up to 6BB sticks occasionally but that’s probably the biggest. Our rivers aren’t very quick most the year so most the time I use between 4x4 to 4BB sticks and 1g to 2g loaded insert wagglers that take a couple 6s to 4s plus a 8 dropper. Would like to try bolo at some point when they are up but I don’t really have a suitable rod let alone the floats yet.

Fred Davis

drennan used to make floats called scud missiles which were in vogue at gold valley a long time ago I quite often used these in 8g 10g and 12 gm

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Much depends on what "biggest" actually means. The longest floats I currently have are just shy of 15". I fish a deep pit where big floats are a distinct advantage. However, I don't use sliders, so that's not the reason for them being so long. When it comes to weight, I have plenty larger, up to about 15g, but all of these are shorter.

Actually getting hold of really big unloaded wagglers is a little difficult these days. I'd love to get hold of a bodied waggler from 12-18" with a thick hollow glow type nylon tip.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I used to fish a still water that was very deep and seemed to have a very strong surface tow so I made some bodied sliders that were about 18 inches long, these seemed to work very well. Currently I have some quite big wire stemmed sticks that I use on the Wye they take about 8 bb and the largest wagglers I use are probably about 12inches long both straight and bodied

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Used to have some 5SSG & 6SSG monster bodied wagglers for fishing local reservoirs - long gone now - but you could cast to the moon with them.

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
ive got and used bolo floats up to 20gram. it depends on the situation really on any given venue/conditions, state of the river etc .

SteveinSwindon

Friend of mine fishes Windermere - hoping to have a trip there once lockdown ends.

He sent me a pic of the biggest he uses which
are 24 inches :oops: Not sure about shotting capacity !!! d366843f-e4ed-4126-bdf8-8b65ea435481.jpg

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Not always about casting weight, about factoring in weight needed down the line and how you plan to present too. So yes, could probably hit the horizon with some of mine, but they have been very handy (speci wagglers up 6SSG) for just 5 ft of depth sometimes in a flow and needing to drag bottom. Float must allow you to boss the swim in those situations and any situation. When you hear that zorro type swoosh sometimes, you just know that a float isn't big enough to get there, let alone present properly.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Biggest floats I’ve got are the orange ones of the below although not sure I’ll ever find a coarse fishing use for them 🤔😅
1614624819611.jpeg

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Perhaps pellet waggler for the one on the right, there are some rare old shapes available for that nowadays.
Or as a controller float may be.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
20g must be a beast of a float. :)

Hopefully get me through the Bleak if I use a heavier float? It's very disappointing when you go for a day float fishing on the Severn and your float doesn't settle because of them. Could change bait of course too, but there's other reasons why I'm going to generally step up the size of my floats, casting, control, fun etc... and that's just for stick floats, got me Loafers and Speci Wags for bigger baits.

Rigmann

Site Supporter
I’ve got and used bolos to 10g bagging wags that are msssive flatties to 40g but don’t think I’ve ever exceeded 5g on conventional pole floats