Big fish on the pole

Total

Site Supporter
Yes Dave, Rolf Wobbeking ;) and as I already mentioned running line wasn't an option when he owned the lake as he only allowed Pole Only matches.
To give a little idea of the fish we were targeting, on one match there my first 3 put ins with the pole resulted in me landing 3 fish whose combined weight came to 55lbs 12ozs (19lbs 04ozs, 18lbs 08ozs and 18lbs) Not bad for 25 minutes fishing. :upthumb:
All in the last half an hour knowing you! ;):ROFLMAO:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Yes Dave, Rolf Wobbeking ;) and as I already mentioned running line wasn't an option when he owned the lake as he only allowed Pole Only matches.
To give a little idea of the fish we were targeting, on one match there my first 3 put ins with the pole resulted in me landing 3 fish whose combined weight came to 55lbs 12ozs (19lbs 04ozs, 18lbs 08ozs and 18lbs) Not bad for 25 minutes fishing. :upthumb:
Great achievement mate but did you get a red leader nugget😜

tysontim

Site Supporter
Kind of following on from the Playing Fish thread,

Are there any limits to what you can catch on a pole? I'd say not seeing as people land Catfish and Specimen French Carp on poles.

That being said, with the poles I have, my current one having a repair on the 4th section, and even if I bought a new pole, there's a limit to what I feel comfortable playing.

I have landed Carp including plenty of doubles and my PB of 22lb from Sion Farm on the pole, that time with a 12 solid elastic and 0.15 hooklength though if I fished there again, now knowing the size of the fish, I wouldn't use a pole and would fish much heavier.

I always think back to club matches I fished at Earlswood at a time when the Carp were growing rapidly, at about 5lb in big expansive water, they were playable, again on a 12 solid elastic for me, but as soon as they grew bigger I think it put them out of pole territory for me personally.

Again, having said that though, I hear a lot about matches where only 6 fish can do 100lb. It seems a lot of Carp in many commercials have grown a lot in size over the last 15 years?

So what do you feel comfortable with as a size limit for fish on the pole, specimen sized fish apart, or are you happy to fish for regular double figure Carp on the pole?
My biggest was also from there mate 25lb 4oz, (Peg 2) and next put in had the lot stripped out using same rig elastic, cracking little fishery and great owner.

dave brittain 1

As Peter has said it's not always the big fish that cause the problems. 7-8lb commons in shallow water are notorious, foul hook one in the top fin where you have no chance of a hook pull and you have a battle on your hands, same applies to the tail assuming you don't get broken on the first run.

Broken poles are part and parcel of todays commercial fishing where big fish are concerned. It's not uncommon for several pole breakages to occur at venues like Viaduct when there's a Fisho qualifier.

To a certain degree most breakages occur due to poor judgement or technique by the angler with the most offender being the angler fishing a pole or tackle that is inappropriate for the swim.

The old story of I was fishing a margin pole bungee XXX and it broke my pole just makes me shake my head in dismay sometimes. When it comes to big fish you have to be realistic and give the fish some respect.

Many years ago there was a great article by Giles Cochran, a great thinking angler who used to write on the forums about using light elastics to extract some very good fish when most people were of the attitude stronger was better. The thinking was simple, the less you pull, the less the fish pulls back. Years ahead of it's time but ever so right.

I've had a good number of fish over 20lbs in matches on the pole and although it took me some convincing at the time when purple and red hydro where the rage, pullers combined with light hollow elastic changed everything, with some big fish not even realising they were hooked.

When you get a big swimmer that just nods and follows just below the surface, if you've caught enough of them, you know that if you can get it first time you'll have it in the net within 30 seconds. If you miss it or spook it, all hell will break loose.

Going back to the OP, once carp get into double figures they can be difficult to land on any match tackle regardless of whether it's a rod and line or pole. I'm happy landing any carp on a match pole with power kits fitted however if I'm honest it's a percentages game. The bigger the fish is, the shallower the water the more the odds are stacked against you. Add a corner peg, weed beds or snags and they are multipliers.

Sometimes you just have to apply common sense and it wouldn't be the first time I've left the pole in the bag in favour of a bomb and heavy line fished down the side or into a corner. You have to be pragmatic about it because if you get it wrong it can not only be expensive it can spoil the whole weekend.

For those who haven't seen a pole disintegrate under the pressure of a big carp making a run it's quite spectacular. The best I've seen was when one angler shouted across the lake with his brand new Tricast XRS, " this is how you get them out Davey." There was such a crack and black cloud of splinters, all that was left was the bottom half of the top 6 to his 14m section. That's going back more than 20 years when the first XRS came out and it was a pole you could jump on. Today the tackle is much better and knowledge has increased considerably.

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great achievement mate but did you get a red leader nugget😜
It was actually on a match that was organised by another website :quiet: and Red Leader wasn't there. I did win the match though to uphold the MD's reputation. :upthumb:

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
It was actually on a match that was organised by another website :quiet: and Red Leader wasn't there. I did win the match though to uphold the MD's reputation. :upthumb:
I never doubted you buddy👍

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
There used to be some extremely dark almost black Mirrors at Rolf's that never seemed to get bigger than 8-9lbs, they were absolute psychos and I don't think I've ever come across any carp that fought harder.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
There used to be some extremely dark almost black Mirrors at Rolf's that never seemed to get bigger than 8-9lbs, they were absolute psychos and I don't think I've ever come across any carp that fought harder.
was a lot of semi naked men swimming in just their skiddies there too, going in after bits of broken pole :LOL:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
My biggest carp on the pole is 25.08, had many, many high teens and a few others over 20lb, I fish light elastics in open water or snag free margins and have never broken a pole or topkit on a fish. There are days that a pole will hugely out fish a rod and line - shallow fishing in the summer for instance, at Viaduct the pellet waggler (in its basic format) is gone, shallow pole fishing will out fish it almost every match. There are exceptions, pegs where you can cast to the end bank etc. but for open water shallow fishing to compete, you will need to catch big fish on the pole.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I've seen Tricast poles reduced to more bits than they started with at Rolf's and pretty much every pole from every manufacturer has met it's match there at some time or another. ;)
Yes they can all break on them bum twitchers, in all honesty id rather catch 4 5lb fish than have a 20 on lol

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
That brings back a few memories, had my biggest carp on the pole at Rolfs - 25lb, foul hooked ones around 14lb were also a nightmare.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
If you break the pole before the hook length surely you are fishing a rig that is over gunned for the pole and breakages, therefore, are self inflicted.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I have had a few big fish on the pole. My rule No.1 is don’t use them in a snaggy swim if there are BIG fish expected. I take my Tricast pole to France and catch 30’s and a few 40’s with it in snag free swims.

Next pole will probably be Colmic or Milo. There are Angler’s in France, Spain & Italy regularly catching carp of 50lb+, catfish over 150lb and sturgeon over 150lb on those manufacturers poles. There are plenty of vids on YouTube.

mbuna_matt

In a snag free environment low doubles are ok, in a snag pit you have to be able to stop them and thats not something I am comfortable doing on a pole once they get that big!

Zerkalo

Some interesting replies, good reading, thanks all. (y)

I'm lucky a lot of venues around here the Carp (not all F1s) are smaller which is a bit easier for me, somewhere like Sion makes a good change but I would have to change my tactics next time even though a lot of people will still pole fish it.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have had a few big fish on the pole. My rule No.1 is don’t use them in a snaggy swim if there are BIG fish expected. I take my Tricast pole to France and catch 30’s and a few 40’s with it in snag free swims.

Next pole will probably be Colmic or Milo. There are Angler’s in France, Spain & Italy regularly catching carp of 50lb+, catfish over 150lb and sturgeon over 150lb on those manufacturers poles. There are plenty of vids on YouTube.
have you ever watched the you tube vids of the guy that fishes the seine in the middle of paris and hauls out dirty great big fish

his pole is near bent double

CarpCatcher86

I guess targeting big fish on the pole is one thing, but more often than not you never know what fish is going to take your hookbait, or how big it's going to be.