Big fish on the pole

Zerkalo

Kind of following on from the Playing Fish thread,

Are there any limits to what you can catch on a pole? I'd say not seeing as people land Catfish and Specimen French Carp on poles.

That being said, with the poles I have, my current one having a repair on the 4th section, and even if I bought a new pole, there's a limit to what I feel comfortable playing.

I have landed Carp including plenty of doubles and my PB of 22lb from Sion Farm on the pole, that time with a 12 solid elastic and 0.15 hooklength though if I fished there again, now knowing the size of the fish, I wouldn't use a pole and would fish much heavier.

I always think back to club matches I fished at Earlswood at a time when the Carp were growing rapidly, at about 5lb in big expansive water, they were playable, again on a 12 solid elastic for me, but as soon as they grew bigger I think it put them out of pole territory for me personally.

Again, having said that though, I hear a lot about matches where only 6 fish can do 100lb. It seems a lot of Carp in many commercials have grown a lot in size over the last 15 years?

So what do you feel comfortable with as a size limit for fish on the pole, specimen sized fish apart, or are you happy to fish for regular double figure Carp on the pole?

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Doubles on the pole, no problem.

Above 20lb though you need a bit of luck or very strong gear - especially on big open venues where they can run or on snag pits for obvious reasons. Not to mention if you foul hook a big one.

Theoretically you can get lucky and land much bigger fish than that, but that not really what the pole is designed for. If I thought I'd be catching fish of that size regularly I'd be using different tackle.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
my 57lb carp wasnt caught on the pole lol but i have had carp to just over 20lb on my pole and i would feel confident landing carp to 20lb on my Z2 but i wouldnt want to catch fish bigger than that and not pole fished a lake with carp bigger than that in it, as spanky said, if i was targeting upper doubles and beyond i would use rod and line ideally

Zerkalo

I was very lucky at Sion Farm, did not realise the size of the fish and lost 3 landed that 1. Most of them I think are doubles but a lot of fish going to 20lb in there.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
i have seen even single figure fish smash top kits solely from the miss use of the angler
Guilty. Got smashed twice by 5 lb'ers due to my inexperience of catching carp on the pole.
Sometimes it's weird though.....smaller ones can sometimes fight much harder than a 10 pounder.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One drowners weekender at rolfs lake

I had a 19lb 4oz common on the pole, luckily I had been given the heads up on what to expect and what gear to use by the old hands that knew the venue well

used my old tri-cast XRS venom with red hydro, funny thing was the fish just plodded around for what seemed an age then gave up and came in easy as

rob6709

Site Supporter

Are there any limits to what you can catch on a pole? I'd say not seeing as people land Catfish and Specimen French Carp on poles.

That being said, with the poles I have, my current one having a repair on the 4th section, and even if I bought a new pole, there's a limit to what I feel comfortable playing.

I have landed Carp including plenty of doubles and my PB of 22lb from Sion Farm on the pole, that time with a 12 solid elastic and 0.15 hooklength though if I fished there again, now knowing the size of the fish, I wouldn't use a pole and would fish much heavier.

I always think back to club matches I fished at Earlswood at a time when the Carp were growing rapidly, at about 5lb in big expansive water, they were playable, again on a 12 solid elastic for me, but as soon as they grew bigger I think it put them out of pole territory for me personally.

Again, having said that though, I hear a lot about matches where only 6 fish can do 100lb. It seems a lot of Carp in many commercials have grown a lot in size over the last 15 years?

So what do you feel comfortable with as a size limit for fish on the pole, specimen sized fish apart, or are you happy to fish for regular double figure Carp on the pole
The lumps are great fun at sion farm on the pole when you hit then :love:

Zerkalo

The lumps are great fun at sion farm on the pole when you hit then :love:

First time I'd fished there, corn over pellet down the edge. Great little fishery and not far from me. Was catching loads of stamp Roach too so went back there in winter after them but blanked! The lady who sells you the tickets at the little house told me she's "not trying to be another Moorlands Farm". :LOL: (y)

Zerkalo

Saying that the only time I broke a top kit was on an 8lb Carp at Moorlands. Just snapped for no reason with an 8 elastic. Things were a lot simpler back then elastic wise, no hyrdos or hollows to get your head around.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
A conundrum i have always found interesting- use a 20 or near 20 elastic and hope the pole is up to it.
Use a lighter elastic and hope the fish stops.

I think the latter is favoured though nowadays and with some art in playing the fish added to it? Art that is beyond me, hence out come the rods if there is any risk, where you can control to a degree what you hook anyway.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
One drowners weekender at rolfs lake

I had a 19lb 4oz common on the pole, luckily I had been given the heads up on what to expect and what gear to use by the old hands that knew the venue well

used my old tri-cast XRS venom with red hydro, funny thing was the fish just plodded around for what seemed an age then gave up and came in easy as
In general Mick the high double figure fish weren't a problem unless you foul hooked one, It was the 9-10lb Mirrors that used to go absolutely garrity and run you ragged, and before anyone asks back in the day Matches at Rolf's were Pole Only. Things have changed there now, although a lot of anglers still pole fish it.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Depends how deep the venue is ,found the shallower it is the more mental they become .

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I first started using a pole in matches, 20 odd years ago, I was fishing with a newly formed club and we were all developing our pole skills together. At that time the accepted method for playing fish was to add and remove sections as the fish ran. We were all a bit despondent as we felt that it was more a case of 'hanging on' rather than playing the fish. It did however throw up a lot of mirth as people would take off a section only to have it fall to the floor, out of reach, so they couldn't put it back when the fish ran. I remember one lad removed his number 4 ready to net the fish it took off again and he picked up his number 5 by mistake and the whole thing telescoped, I never knew there were so many swear words. We are now in the realms of breaking down to the top kit asap and just hanging on again with the elastic doing the playing. The advent of the side pulla has given us back some control, I set my elastic very light so that I can 'play' the fish on the pulla but I must admit that I do prefer rod and line when pleasure fishing. To answer the op, I am quite happy to catch fish up 10 - 12lbs on the pole but I accept there is more luck required to land them than when using a running line (IMO).

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

So what do you feel comfortable with as a size limit for fish on the pole, specimen sized fish apart, or are you happy to fish for regular double figure Carp on the pole?
In commercials any size ,i have a tri cast margin ,they can pull great whites in 🤪

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've seen Tricast poles reduced to more bits than they started with at Rolf's and pretty much every pole from every manufacturer has met it's match there at some time or another. ;)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've seen Tricast poles reduced to more bits than they started with at Rolf's and pretty much every pole from every manufacturer has met it's match there at some time or another. ;)
All the more reason for a running line mate. Is Rolf's the fishery started by Rolf Vobeslang (no idea how you spell the surname but you get the jist).

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
All the more reason for a running line mate. Is Rolf's the fishery started by Rolf Vobeslang (no idea how you spell the surname but you get the jist).
Yes Dave, Rolf Wobbeking ;) and as I already mentioned running line wasn't an option when he owned the lake as he only allowed Pole Only matches.
To give a little idea of the fish we were targeting, on one match there my first 3 put ins with the pole resulted in me landing 3 fish whose combined weight came to 55lbs 12ozs (19lbs 04ozs, 18lbs 08ozs and 18lbs) Not bad for 25 minutes fishing. :upthumb: