Big Fish, Little Fish (cardboard box?) - what’s going on ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Doing a bit of head scratching at the moment about my catches.

I’m currently fishing every weekday morning between 5:30 & 7:00am plus 5:30-8:30am on a Saturday at my local, Neville Park Lake. Since spawning it’s all gone a bit odd.

Throughout last authmn, winter and this spring I’ve either fished the method or fished in-line bomb to a size 14 or 12 QM1 and 8mm single or double hookbaits. During this time I’ve caught steadily with the majority of the fish in the 4-7lb bracket or low doubles. Haven’t seen any small fish at all. Should add the lake only holds carp.

Since spawning a few weeks ago this has changed significantly - exactly the same rigs and tactics but I’m getting plagued (not in a bad way) by small carp. So far this week alone I’ve banked almost 30 carp (all commons) in the 1-2lb bracket, close on a dozen tiddlers of 3-4ozs and just 2 ‘proper’ fish in the 7-8lb bracket.

An idyllic way to start the day:

089CBB5C-1BD3-45F5-B3E9-D194921432A3.jpeg

Exhibit (A) m’lud - one of 6 carpies tipping the scale at 2lb

64C529CE-BAB9-4E27-AADD-442660DF1984.jpeg

Exhibit (B) - a rod dragging 5lb 7oz angry chunk

B725F23C-F71D-4597-B461-49D04DA8B34F.jpeg

Has spawning switched on the little carp and given them the munchies ?

Do I need to alter my approach ?

I loosefeed sparingly, maybe a handful or two of mixed 6mm & 8mm pellets during each of the 90min sessions, so should I up my feed rate to feed off the smaller ones and bring back the larger fish?

What does the jury think ?

Karl

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
One possibility, which you may not have considered, is that a large proportion of the bigger fish have died. Some die every year after spawning, and the ultra-hot spell would have made things worse. Are there aerators on the water?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
One possibility, which you may not have considered, is that a large proportion of the bigger fish have died. Some die every year after spawning, and the ultra-hot spell would have made things worse. Are there aerators on the water?
Absolutely no aerators I’m afraid - seen one dead carp in the margins - it’s a free lake owned by a local council who would rather it wasn’t there (litter & antisocial behaviour issues) so no money heading it’s way ever

Thing is it could be an amazing venue with not a massive amount of work

OldTaff

Site Supporter
The larger fish could well have been removed
Not likely - I’m working closely with the council to keep it alive as a fishing venue and not converted to a “eco lake” and have got a good number of councillors on my side

Late on Saturday the big carp were sunbathing extensively and there were some real thumpers amongst them - picture doesn’t do the fish justice

3FA1DD28-86F4-499F-B729-A6A7B0450656.jpeg

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
They could well be feeding up in the water. Might be worth having a go on the Waggler or trying that pole that's gathering dust. ;)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
They could well be feeding up in the water. Might be worth having a go on the Waggler or trying that pole that's gathering dust. ;)
The pole is cursed , cursed I tell you :eek::eek::eek:

Not using the pole solely because I would need to take my seatbox too and all I’m using at the moment is a single made up rod, keep net and a very small bag of tackle & bait bits to keep setup / takedown time to an absolute minimum - from car to first cast is less than 10 minutes, it would be double that with box & pole.

Have some pop ups that I’ve been thinking of trying so will give them a go tomorrow, a zig rig is an option too (need to YouTube that one though) could give it a go next week.

Maybe waggler on Friday but forecast is overnight rain which may affect things - been reluctant to fish up in the water so early in the morning as we’ve been experiencing cold’ish nights and overnight showers that I thought would keep the fish on the bottom until later in the day

Getting greedy for the bigger fish when I should be happy just catching during such a short session - will get the pole out Saturday and see how it goes - I mean what’s the worst that could happen? Zombie apocalypse, plagues of locust, the rapture ? ? ?