Big carp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carper

When fishing 4 big carp,would i use PVa bags/string or just a single hook bait with freebies...20lbs plus.......on a big water

Locals r not telling me much,what they use????

The bigger the better

P.B.... 17.5 lb mirror

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Can you supply futher info. ie actuall size of the water. My first thoughts are if its as big as you imply then LOCATION is the main point. Try to locate feeding or sightings of fish. Maybe a prebaiting with particles like hemp or a partiblend mix will pull or keep fish feeding. To me single baits or pva bags may be severly limiting on a big water.

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Carper and welcome on board icon_smile.gif

Most specimen carp anglers when fishing a water for the first time go armed with three things, binoculars, notepad and pen.
Go for a walk around the lake and look for signs of fish movements, likely places, etc and make notes. You can find that this alone takes upwards of a day but time well spent.
Visit at different times of the day and evening.

Once you have located several likely areas the next thing you need to do is get an idea of the geographical features of the lake such as sand/gravel bars, weed beds and clearings and depths. The best way to do this is again by sight but also using a Marker float and plumbing the water.
With a marker float you can also get an idea of what the bottom of the lake is like.

Only then can you seriously go about fishing for the larger carp. Fishing 'known' hotspots can help but the chances are you will not get the best from the water.

Hope this helps,

Dave
(PB 22lb 8oz, 20lb 80z,,,, icon_smile.gif)

se mc

hi carper

try fishing for tenchicon_smile_question.gif.a always get badgered by carp when fishing for tench on small bates.like the 16lb sod that took my single peace of carp on the pole(lol)

later icon_smile.gif

ste mc

se mc

sorry carper

that small bait i got thatcarp on was corn not carp[:i].too many beers mate

later manicon_smile.gif

ste mc

scoobs11

i'm averaging 2 carp a session at the mo while fishing for tench with lumps of meat on the pole.

pb 20lb4oz (on the pole)

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

hazz01

carper, do you know somewhere near leeds which fishes well for carp and could u tell me the best bait catching them.
Thanks.icon_smile_question.gif

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
All Reet Paul
Welcome to the site there are quite a few places around Leeds,
Yeadon Tarn,Knotsford Lagoon.... Do you have a year book? or are you wanting Day Ticket waters?

Stu
Yorkshire

hazz01

Thanks stu i don't have a year book yet but i am going to get one so i can fish different waters. The main place that i normally fish is the leeds and liverpool canal because i catch plenty, the other week i caught approx..40 fish mainly all perch and a couple of roach. I have fished non-go-bye farm a couple of times and my biggest fish there was a 9&1/2 pound carp on the pole,i was on no.6 elastic and 3&1/2 pound m/l all the way through.

Sooty

If you can't get any info out of the locals you'll have to reccy the place on your own from scratch. Start by watching for the usual signs of feeding areas, ie fish rolling and crashing out. Look for obvious features like islands. Finally get a marker float set up on a rod and reel full of braid and start mapping out in front of the swim you fancy most. Look for things like gravelly clearings on the bottom. When you find a good feature like this, bombard it with a spod filled with hemp, pellets, corn etc etc which will draw in the fish. Stick a couple of rods out on the edges of the area, switch on your buzzers and sit back and wait.

Sooty

scoobs11

if your after easy answers just hide somewhere with a decent set of binoculars and watch what the natives do !

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

carpinclan

On one rod you could try prebaiting on "carpy" looking spots with different size boilies and pellets (broken, whole and chopped). Or try tiger nuts over hempseed.
And on the other rod, try a bright pop-up with a PVA bag full of pellets or goundbait (again placing this on a "carpy" spot).
Good luck, and i hope you catch one (or two):)

Holy Cr*p it's a SHARK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.