Big carp in a match - really big

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My son wanted to watch some fishing videos on YouTube while mummy caught up on some soaps - as usual Des Shipp was high on the list but a recommendation came up for “Fishing with Den” and a huge carp he caught in a match.

Jacob loved the video but it also matches up with the recent thread on max carp sizes in match waters.

The fish took 10mins or so to land and I think it’s fair to say it probably should be relaxing in a specimen lake rather than a match lake.

Silver fan 82

My son wanted to watch some fishing videos on YouTube while mummy caught up on some soaps - as usual Des Shipp was high on the list but a recommendation came up for “Fishing with Den” and a huge carp he caught in a match.

Jacob loved the video but it also matches up with the recent thread on max carp sizes in match waters.

The fish took 10mins or so to land and I think it’s fair to say it probably should be relaxing in a specimen lake rather than a match lake.
Couldn't agree more mate!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Just what we need , another chance for all the whingers to have a pop at commercials 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Not my intention honestly - just found it fascinating as I’ve yet to fish a commercial although I hope to at some point this year.

Just wondering to myself whether 26.5lb in 10mins might have been achievable in multiple fish on a water such as this or was the time invested in landing this whopper & subsequent time lost weighing & returning well invested given he would physically need to recover & get back into a rhythm if he was to remain in contention for the match.

Browner

I think ”Fishing with Den” is based in Australia. Didn’t know they had commercial fisheries.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Just wondering to myself whether 26.5lb in 10mins might have been achievable in multiple fish
Yes, very doable under the right conditions. I've caught at a rate of 150lb of fish per hour on a well-known commercial when pleasure fishing and the match guys can catch even faster and that was with fish in the 3-6lb range. So yes, you could do that weight in ten minutes on the right venue on the right day.

dave brittain 1

On big fish lakes I often have 2 landing nets set up. 20lbs fish are becoming more common on many venues, however you have to gear up accordingly and handle the fish with care. Regarding keep nets some fisheries weigh double figure fish when they are caught however many have adopted the keep them in a separate net and make sure you don't go over the weight limit which ensures that fish have sufficient room in a net and are put back in the water asap.

It does create a little bit of conflict with some anglers however there is a big surplus of carp and it's not as simple as put them in a speci lake and selling them on because most speci lakes are already fully populated.

On the big fish venues I've fished, I've seen no adverse affect on the big fish kept in nets as the fishery owners are keen to make sure that their livelyhoods are looked after noting that a high percentage of their revenue comes from speci anglers who fish during the week or when there aren't matches on. Note the speci anglers usually adopt tactics not allowed in matches such as spodding, bolt rigs and alarms. For me it's a bit of give and take but most of all respect the fish, make sure you use appropriate tackle and handle the fish with care keeping them out of the water for the minimum time possible.