Big Bream In Ireland Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan_Kilroy

I`m Irish and fish for bream, session fishing, I suppose you`d call it. Anyone having any big ones out recently? I mainly fish around the Monaghan area and have had a few out already, first trip this month for bream.
Doing a three nighter this weekend on a new water which is pretty good.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Alan

I was over in Cootehill early August and the best bream we caught (5lb 14oz) was from White Lake at Bream Island. All the bream off this part of the lake seem to be 5lb+

Last year we had fish to 7lb from Lough Sillan (top-end of the lake, furthest away from Shercock)although it was very poor this year.

There's supposed to be some big bream in the lakes around Carrickmacross (Monalty etc) but I have to confess, I've never actually fished them.

Let us know how you get on with your weekend trip.

Tight Lines

Simon

Alan_Kilroy

Hi Simon,
You mention Monalty, one of the best Irish waters for big bream over the years, has sadly declined at an alarming rate. Fish mortality due to old age and no new fish coming on, they`re not breeding for some reason. Coupled with the appearence of a few dozen beautiful cormorants ove the past few years.
16 nights in Sept / Oct last year for two 8`s, whereas, the previous year I had about 10 to 9lb 2oz. A friend who fished it for about twenty years fared even worse last year. We`re afarid to waste our time on it this year.
Sillan, I`ve heard from a few different sources that it has thrown out fish to 9lb+. Big water, love to try it.
There are a few other lakes in the Carrickmacross area which hold big bream but not alot of anglers here bother with them, especially now with the shorter nights creeping in.
The thought of the 16 hour night in a bivvy over the winter period........
However, I`ll crack on. Love my bream fishing here. Never a soul about. Give you a shout later. Off on Thursday afternoon for the three nights ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.